Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
6 Pages123>»

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:14:36 AM(UTC)
If you were a general manager of a team, with the assumption that you could focus on building either a bone crushing defense or a highlight reel type of offense, which would be your area of concentration?

Assume if you build your one core elite, that the other phase of the team would be average.
Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:23:53 AM(UTC)
Me personally.. I would focus my efforts on the defensive side of the ball for a couple of reasons.

1) The obvious one, reducing the other teams points would allow you to remain in a greater percentage of games.

2) A top defense will lead to point of its own.

3) I believe a strong defense will lead to greater longevity of a team vs a high octane offense.

4) I love me some good ol' fashion butt kick'n defensive play.

There are tons more I am sure.. just getting the ball rolling..
4PackGirl  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:58:48 AM(UTC)
i too enjoy grind em out type of games so for me, the D is GREAT! int's are even more exciting to me than the long pass. so yeah, defense is where i'd put my dinero.
Greg C.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:33:50 PM(UTC)
I'm going with defense. It seems like a good defense is less likely to go into a slump than a good offense. And in recent years, great defense has won more Super Bowls than great offense.
Yerko  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:50:04 PM(UTC)
I would take a top 5 defense anyday. Great defense wins championships.
WhiskeySam  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:54:19 PM(UTC)
Give me the O. As Sid Gillman once said, "Why run for three when you can pass for thirty?"

Great D's dont win titles. Balanced teams win titles. Look at the Ravens and Bucs for the last two decades. One title each even though they were the dominant defenses in the league. It wasn't until their offenses got it together that they won. The Steelers of the 70s best defense was the year they didn't win the Super Bowl. When you look at championship teams, they have balance on both sides of the ball.
ILikeThePackers39  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:54:58 PM(UTC)
Defense, easy -- too many examples of teams w/ great defense and lousy-to-middling offense succeeding not to vote that way (Ravens, anyone?).
WhiskeySam  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:01:46 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense, easy -- too many examples of teams w/ great defense and lousy-to-middling offense succeeding not to vote that way (Ravens, anyone?).


The year the Ravens won, their offense was 16th, but their rushing offense was 5th in the league.
walleye  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:08:25 PM(UTC)
DEFENSE .
yooperfan  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:13:00 PM(UTC)
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.
walleye  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:15:18 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.

:physassult: :physassult: Yes STUFF THE HOLE!!
wpr  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:21:06 PM(UTC)
Defense. I agree with UP Fan, If the other team does not score you will increase your odds of winning.
Packnic  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:33:17 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.



the only exception would be ... if you dont score you dont win.


everyone keeps bringing the Ravens up. but really they only won 1 SB with that killer defense, while San Fran, New England and Dallas won multiple multiple SBs in a row with innovative offensive schemes. WCO, Dink and Dunk, and the Big 3.


I would typically say Defense because of all the reason listed above, but also a great D with a weak O leads to a lot of close games that in this day and age are harder to close out with defense. Personally i would rather be in a situation to put my offense on the field in a 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter than rely on my defense. That way you are dictating your own outcome rather than reacting to the opponent.

Plus overall i think a great offense trumps a great defense any day, because you always have the advantage of knowing whats coming. A good offense is able to evolve and adapt making it harder to figure out defensively. You have a better chance of adding wrinkles and formations to a great offense than you do to a defense... making it harder to figure out. every base defense has a weakness... so when your QB comes to the line you line... he has the advantage of adding audibles a defense wont suspect.

So my answer is... as long as its an innovative, evolving top 5 offense with an average defense. id take that. Sorry this was long... i just love topics like this.
Pack93z  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:42:14 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.



the only exception would be ... if you dont score you dont win.


everyone keeps bringing the Ravens up. but really they only won 1 SB with that killer defense, while San Fran, New England and Dallas won multiple multiple SBs in a row with innovative offensive schemes. WCO, Dink and Dunk, and the Big 3.


I would typically say Defense because of all the reason listed above, but also a great D with a weak O leads to a lot of close games that in this day and age are harder to close out with defense. Personally i would rather be in a situation to put my offense on the field in a 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter than rely on my defense. That way you are dictating your own outcome rather than reacting to the opponent.

Plus overall i think a great offense trumps a great defense any day, because you always have the advantage of knowing whats coming. A good offense is able to evolve and adapt making it harder to figure out defensively. You have a better chance of adding wrinkles and formations to a great offense than you do to a defense... making it harder to figure out. every base defense has a weakness... so when your QB comes to the line you line... he has the advantage of adding audibles a defense wont suspect.

So my answer is... as long as its an innovative, evolving top 5 offense with an average defense. id take that. Sorry this was long... i just love topics like this.


That right there.. even if I don't agree with the philosophy is the reason I stick around on these boards.. well besides a laugh here and there.

A look into the mind of another fan with the detailed thoughts on why they believe it to be as such.
WhiskeySam  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:45:34 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.



the only exception would be ... if you dont score you dont win.


everyone keeps bringing the Ravens up. but really they only won 1 SB with that killer defense, while San Fran, New England and Dallas won multiple multiple SBs in a row with innovative offensive schemes. WCO, Dink and Dunk, and the Big 3.


I would typically say Defense because of all the reason listed above, but also a great D with a weak O leads to a lot of close games that in this day and age are harder to close out with defense. Personally i would rather be in a situation to put my offense on the field in a 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter than rely on my defense. That way you are dictating your own outcome rather than reacting to the opponent.

Plus overall i think a great offense trumps a great defense any day, because you always have the advantage of knowing whats coming. A good offense is able to evolve and adapt making it harder to figure out defensively. You have a better chance of adding wrinkles and formations to a great offense than you do to a defense... making it harder to figure out. every base defense has a weakness... so when your QB comes to the line you line... he has the advantage of adding audibles a defense wont suspect.

So my answer is... as long as its an innovative, evolving top 5 offense with an average defense. id take that. Sorry this was long... i just love topics like this.


Very well put. A good example of this was the Rams win over the Bucs to go to the Supr Bowl. #1 D vs #1 O. #1 O by a nose.
Trippster  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:58:32 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.


I wounder 4 if there pack is anyone around here girl that would passionately agree or disagree.
Packnic  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:02:23 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Very well put. A good example of this was the Rams win over the Bucs to go to the Supr Bowl. #1 D vs #1 O. #1 O by a nose.



thats a great example. i would love to have a great defense, and its proven to win games and championships. but if you had to pick just one, I would pick being the aggressor rather than reading and reacting.
4PackGirl  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:08:18 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.


I wounder 4 if there pack is anyone around here girl that would passionately agree or disagree.


HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tee hee. :birdman:
IronMan  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:09:42 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Very well put. A good example of this was the Rams win over the Bucs to go to the Supr Bowl. #1 D vs #1 O. #1 O by a nose.



thats a great example. i would love to have a great defense, and its proven to win games and championships. but if you had to pick just one, I would pick being the aggressor rather than reading and reacting.

What people forget though, is St Louis had a really good defense that year too. The Bucs allowed 235 points that year(3rd in the NFL), and the Rams allowed 242(4th in the NFL).
Packnic  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:13:46 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Very well put. A good example of this was the Rams win over the Bucs to go to the Supr Bowl. #1 D vs #1 O. #1 O by a nose.



thats a great example. i would love to have a great defense, and its proven to win games and championships. but if you had to pick just one, I would pick being the aggressor rather than reading and reacting.

What people forget though, is St Louis had a really good defense that year too. The Bucs allowed 235 points that year(3rd in the NFL), and the Rams allowed 242(4th in the NFL).



you know thats another great point. the same can be said for the Cowboys and Patriots dynasties. Those were also great defenses.

So maybe its those great, yet underrated defenses that made the offenses able to do what they did. Or maybe the offenses by keeping the D fresh made the D better. well now im confused.


I think the best answers is C.) Both
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
6 Pages123>»
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
gbguy20 (8h) : doesn't seem to have helped his cause much
Zero2Cool (15h) : Aaron Rodgers spoke with Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff at an airport telling him to sign Matt Ryan
Zero2Cool (15h) : Rodgers said, "We don't know each other that well, but just get this deal done with Matt first so I can get on with my life."
Zero2Cool (15h) : Isn't it Laurel after three tries?
wpr (16h) : Yanny. If it takes 3 tries it isn't worth it
wpr (16h) : Damnit. Bit in the butt by Auto correct
wpr (16h) : When Gianni's pronounced it it sounded like"Tammy"
beast (19h) : Nonstop got it correct, but when Giannis said it, the Ant-teh-toh comes out very quickly, which is said to sound very "inauthentic" when english speakers try to speed it up, but natural to native Yoru
beast (19h) : I just read an article (with videos) on how to say it... I might be able to say it the English way, but no way I can pronounce it like Giannis himself did.
Nonstopdrivel (19h) : Ant teh toh koonm po (roughly)
Zero2Cool (19h) : well if it's not t hat hard to say, then ...
Nonstopdrivel (19h) : Assuming the name is Greek, it's not t hat hard to say.
Zero2Cool (20h) : I don't even try his last name lol
beast (25-May) : Richie Incognito told police he’s involved with the NSA, being tracked by government
beast (25-May) : Can people say Giannis Antetokounmpo's name correctly? :P
Zero2Cool (24-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo earns All-NBA honors
Zero2Cool (24-May) : Brewers (31-19, .620), off to their best 50-game start in franchise history, own the best record in the National League
Zero2Cool (24-May) : says they shouldn't profit while anthem being played
Zero2Cool (24-May) : 49ers closing concessions during anthem.
Zero2Cool (24-May) : Muhammad Wilkerson's top reason for signing with Packers: 'Aaron Rodgers'
Zero2Cool (24-May) : 2.5lbs ones anyway ... anything else is just showing off
Zero2Cool (24-May) : I can throw dumbells too!
beast (23-May) : Richie Incognito is being held for an involuntary mental evaluation after he was accused of throwing a dumbbell at another person
Nonstopdrivel (23-May) : Weird, I thought they had parted ways with him already. Apparently he was just on IR.
Zero2Cool (23-May) : Packers expected to visit with veteran tight end Marcedes Lewis
DarkaneRules (23-May) : And whether any improvement will be enough to make the team.
DarkaneRules (23-May) : Goodson wasn't very good but it's been a while. He gets an opportunity to show how he's improved.
Zero2Cool (23-May) : I still say Goodson is trash.
Zero2Cool (23-May) : Aaron Rodgers brought up CB Demetri Goodson unprompted on Tuesday. "He's made some plays already during the two days (of OTAs)."
beast (23-May) : Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight‎
Zero2Cool (23-May) : VA2246M-LED
beast (22-May) : LB Mychal Kendricks anybody? ... good speed LB... and hoping he doesn't want to go play with his brother on the Vikings
Zero2Cool (22-May) : players picked from Nos. 1 to 21 in the first round receive fully guaranteed contracts.
beast (21-May) : Rumor is that Richie Incognito wants to retire, he just wanted to be released first so that he didn't have to play back any of his signing bonus.
Zero2Cool (21-May) : Bills have released G Richie Incognito -->>> ?? Packers?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2018 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 9 @ 7:20 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Sep 16 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Sep 23 @ 12:00 PM
Redskins
Sunday, Sep 30 @ 12:00 PM
BILLS
Sunday, Oct 7 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Monday, Oct 15 @ 7:15 PM
49ERS
Sunday, Oct 28 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Nov 4 @ 7:20 PM
Patriots
Sunday, Nov 11 @ 12:00 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Nov 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Sunday, Nov 25 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Dec 2 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Dec 9 @ 12:00 PM
FALCONS
Sunday, Dec 16 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Dec 23 @ 12:00 PM
Jets
Sunday, Dec 30 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16h / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

24-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

24-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

24-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

22-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / gbguy20

Headlines