Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:24:18 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,228

Quote:
[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081021&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81021161&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]Cornerback Al Harris believes he will be able to handle his regular workload as a starter even though he has missed the last four games with a spleen injury.

The Green Bay Packers likely will have Harris back on the practice field on Monday when they return from their bye weekend. If Harris makes it through the week of practice, he is expected to play Nov. 2 against the Tennessee Titans.

Im ready to go, Harris said Tuesday. Im in shape. Ive just got to wait and see.

The Packers have not declared how they plan to use Harris, assuming he is cleared to return next week. Given how well Tramon Williams has played in his place, the Packers might be inclined to ease Harris into the rotation perhaps by putting him in Williams old role as the nickel or No. 3 cornerback.

He needs to be cleared first medically, coach Mike McCarthy said. Once we get over that first hurdle and as we get through a week of practice, that will probably answer (whether Harris will start).

In his first locker room interview since he partially tore his spleen on Sept. 21 against Dallas, Harris said he would be willing to accept whatever role the coaches had in mind.

However they want to use me, Harris said, thats up to them, totally.

Harris initially thought he sustained a rib injury when he collided with linebacker A.J. Hawk during the Dallas game but knew something more serious was wrong when he noticed blood in his urine.

He returned to practice on a limited basis last week and took part in some individual drills and worked out with the strength and conditioning coaches on the side. Immediately after the injury, he could do nothing absolutely nothing, he said for one week.

Theres no treatment for it, Harris said. Your body has to heal on its own when it comes to an injury like that.

After a week, he began some lightweight lifting and conditioning on stationary equipment but he could not run because he said he couldnt do anything to shake up your insides.

Harris said he planned to remain in Green Bay during the bye week.

Getaway day
[ul]Players were excused for the week on Tuesday after a morning filled with meetings at Lambeau Field.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers said he would remain in town to receive treatment on his sprained throwing shoulder today, then would head to California, where he planned to see his brother Jordan make his first start at quarterback for Butte College, the same junior college Rodgers attended.

Rodgers said the Packers have arranged for him to receive treatment on his shoulder while he is at home. Hes hoping the week off does wonders.

Im not sure how its going to respond, Rodgers said. Hopefully, positively. It could clear up in the next couple of weeks. It could be something I deal with all season. Were not quite sure.[/ul]

Jones recovering
[ul]Receiver James Jones said he believes his injured right knee will be healed after the bye.

Jones sprained his posterior cruciate ligament in the Aug. 22 preseason game at Denver. He returned in Week 2 but reinjured it the next week against Dallas.

I just want to get it back to 100 percent and not go out there and be 85 percent and then reinjure it again, Jones said. McCarthy just helped me out, told me well put me out there when he feels the time is right and after the bye, I should be good.[/ul]

Punter is safe
[ul]Derrick Frost punted only twice in Sundays win over Indianapolis, but special teams coach Mike Stock was pleased with his performance.

Both of Frosts punts went into the end zone for touchbacks, but both could have been downed inside the 10. Cornerback Jarrett Bush misplayed the ball on one of them.

Hes got to catch it, Stock said of Bush. We dont want those to bounce. We practice that, catching the ball.

Frost had struggled in previous weeks, and the Packers worked out several possible replacements. But at this point, it would appear Frosts job is safe.

I think each week hes gotten better, Stock said. Hes been really good in practice for three weeks and these last two, I think hes punted the ball very well. I think hes feeling more comfortable. Hes our guy. He was our guy when we brought him here.[/ul]
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:00:32 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

I like Harris' attitude that he's okay with any role... or maybe he knows he'll be starter already? Either way, good attitude in the public.

Jones, I am starting to think this kid is a baby. I normally read players saying even if they're 85% they want to be on the field. This guy? Nah, he doesn't want to risk being hurt again.

And what the freak, our punter is safe? Bullshit, because if I see that prick I'm gonna break his toe so he gets IR'd. Stock says he's gotten better every week? No kidding, its not hard to do when you start out on the freaking bottom of the damn barrel of skill.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline RaiderPride  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:49:52 AM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 120
Applause Received: 212

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline DGB454  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:48:07 AM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Applause Given: 15
Applause Received: 7

I like Harris' attitude too. He is reaching his last few years in football and still can't wait to get on the field and contribute. Lead by example.
Offline mkapp  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:39:22 AM(UTC)
mkapp

Applause Received: 1

Harris receives clearance
Cornerback expects to play after bye week
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 21, 2008

Green Bay - For most of the Green Bay Packers, the bye week will be about lying around the house, enjoying some free time and resting their bodies.

That, however, is not Al Harris plan.

He did that lying around thing four weeks ago after tearing his spleen in a nasty collision with teammate A.J. Hawk and it wasnt much fun. He was told not to do anything of a physical nature for an entire week and it nearly drove him crazy.

Now nearly 100% healed, Harris plans to spend the bye week getting ready to play football again so hes ready for the Tennessee Titans Nov. 2.

I feel great, Harris said before exiting for the teams five-day leave. Im going to go at it hard. My whole thing is get back into football shape. Thats it, really. By the time the game comes around, Ill be totally healed.

Im cleared now. If we had a game this week, Id play.

There is some question about how quickly the Packers will return Harris to his starting right cornerback position. After missing four games, hell have some rust to shake off, but given how hard and physical he practices it probably wont take him too long to get back into the swing of things.

While he was gone, nickel back Tramon Williams played terrifically, picking off three passes and knocking down another three. In the last five games, dating to the Dallas contest during which Harris was injured, the Packers have given up six passing touchdowns. Only one was given up by Williams, who hasnt allowed one since giving up a 52-yard connection to Miles Austin against the Cowboys.

Whats more, the only other reception of 20 or more yards Williams has allowed since taking over the starting job was a 34-yard completion to Indianapolis Anthony Gonzalez on Sunday. He has committed just one coverage penalty during that time, a 5-yard illegal contact against the Colts.

I think Tramon did a great job, Harris said. I think he really came up big with us. Hes a good player; he was ready. Hes going to be a good player for a long time.

There doesnt seem to be any question that Harris will get his starting job back once he proves hes in shape because he still jams receivers at the line of scrimmage better than anyone on the team, and bump-and-run is a staple of coordinator Bob Sanders system.

Williams is smaller than Harris but he runs better, so there could be instances when the coaches use Williams to play man-to-man against a specific receiver. However, Harris has traditionally matched up against the other teams top threat and doesnt see that changing.

Im a matchup guy, Harris said. I would doubt (that) it (would happen), but if thats what they wanted to do. Hes played well. He probably gave up a couple of plays, but who doesnt give up a few plays? I think hes done a great job.

But were still in Green Bay and when it comes to matching up and playing man-to-man coverage, it starts and it stops here.

Cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington wasnt ready to declare anything about how things would be handled when Harris returns. In the Packers scheme, the third cornerback has played around 50% of the defensive snaps this season, so there is plenty of playing time to go around.

It will be up to Sanders to determine how the matchups go. For now, the Packers are happy they have an array of talent to play with.

Getting Al back is going to make us that much better, Washington said this week. Well be able to play more one-on-one coverage and do a lot more things with those other guys. It gives us a lot more options.

Harris doesnt anticipate any problems getting back into the swing of things. He said he was a little fearful when the injury first happened, but as time has gone by protecting himself hasnt been part of his mind-set.

Its likely he wont wear any extra padding when he returns. Mostly thats because the injury was the result of the force created internally when he collided with Hawk, not the result of a specific hit to the spleen area. The chances of him suffering a similar trauma are pretty slim and wearing a pad or flak jacket probably wouldnt do him that much good.

Your rib cage is protection enough for your spleen, Harris said. The nature of the injury was more from the shock of it. No ribs were broken.

It took Harris a week before he was allowed to lift any weights and more than three weeks before he was able to run. But last week, he took part in some individual drills with a weight jacket on and plans to step up the workouts this week.

When he gets back, he swears there will be no apprehension.

Thats not going to be the case, Harris said. I may be overly (physical). There may be a couple flags.
UserPostedImage
Offline original_tjb  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:23:52 AM(UTC)
original_tjb

Quote:
Im not sure how its going to respond, Rodgers said. Hopefully, positively. It could clear up in the next couple of weeks. It could be something I deal with all season. Were not quite sure.

This makes me nervous, hearing this from A-Rod and similar statements from Coach McCarthy.

I just hope they do not ruin this kid's arm, for lack of a backup.

::roll:
#1 Fan of Edgar Bennett, greatest of all known Packers in the observable universe.
UserPostedImage
Offline original_tjb  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:27:17 AM(UTC)
original_tjb

Quote:
Cornerback Al Harris believes he will be able to handle his regular workload as a starter...

Here is another valuable man that I hope does not come back on too soon and reinjure or seriously harm himself.

In this case, it is mighty good that the Packers have a few good DBs on the squad backing up Al Harris now. :walk:
#1 Fan of Edgar Bennett, greatest of all known Packers in the observable universe.
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:12:25 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Harris receives clearance
Cornerback expects to play after bye week
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 21, 2008

Green Bay - For most of the Green Bay Packers, the bye week will be about lying around the house, enjoying some free time and resting their bodies.

That, however, is not Al Harris plan.

He did that lying around thing four weeks ago after tearing his spleen in a nasty collision with teammate A.J. Hawk and it wasnt much fun. He was told not to do anything of a physical nature for an entire week and it nearly drove him crazy.

Now nearly 100% healed, Harris plans to spend the bye week getting ready to play football again so hes ready for the Tennessee Titans Nov. 2.

I feel great, Harris said before exiting for the teams five-day leave. Im going to go at it hard. My whole thing is get back into football shape. Thats it, really. By the time the game comes around, Ill be totally healed.

Im cleared now. If we had a game this week, Id play.

There is some question about how quickly the Packers will return Harris to his starting right cornerback position. After missing four games, hell have some rust to shake off, but given how hard and physical he practices it probably wont take him too long to get back into the swing of things.

While he was gone, nickel back Tramon Williams played terrifically, picking off three passes and knocking down another three. In the last five games, dating to the Dallas contest during which Harris was injured, the Packers have given up six passing touchdowns. Only one was given up by Williams, who hasnt allowed one since giving up a 52-yard connection to Miles Austin against the Cowboys.

Whats more, the only other reception of 20 or more yards Williams has allowed since taking over the starting job was a 34-yard completion to Indianapolis Anthony Gonzalez on Sunday. He has committed just one coverage penalty during that time, a 5-yard illegal contact against the Colts.

I think Tramon did a great job, Harris said. I think he really came up big with us. Hes a good player; he was ready. Hes going to be a good player for a long time.

There doesnt seem to be any question that Harris will get his starting job back once he proves hes in shape because he still jams receivers at the line of scrimmage better than anyone on the team, and bump-and-run is a staple of coordinator Bob Sanders system.

Williams is smaller than Harris but he runs better, so there could be instances when the coaches use Williams to play man-to-man against a specific receiver. However, Harris has traditionally matched up against the other teams top threat and doesnt see that changing.

Im a matchup guy, Harris said. I would doubt (that) it (would happen), but if thats what they wanted to do. Hes played well. He probably gave up a couple of plays, but who doesnt give up a few plays? I think hes done a great job.

But were still in Green Bay and when it comes to matching up and playing man-to-man coverage, it starts and it stops here.

Cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington wasnt ready to declare anything about how things would be handled when Harris returns. In the Packers scheme, the third cornerback has played around 50% of the defensive snaps this season, so there is plenty of playing time to go around.

It will be up to Sanders to determine how the matchups go. For now, the Packers are happy they have an array of talent to play with.

Getting Al back is going to make us that much better, Washington said this week. Well be able to play more one-on-one coverage and do a lot more things with those other guys. It gives us a lot more options.

Harris doesnt anticipate any problems getting back into the swing of things. He said he was a little fearful when the injury first happened, but as time has gone by protecting himself hasnt been part of his mind-set.

Its likely he wont wear any extra padding when he returns. Mostly thats because the injury was the result of the force created internally when he collided with Hawk, not the result of a specific hit to the spleen area. The chances of him suffering a similar trauma are pretty slim and wearing a pad or flak jacket probably wouldnt do him that much good.

Your rib cage is protection enough for your spleen, Harris said. The nature of the injury was more from the shock of it. No ribs were broken.

It took Harris a week before he was allowed to lift any weights and more than three weeks before he was able to run. But last week, he took part in some individual drills with a weight jacket on and plans to step up the workouts this week.

When he gets back, he swears there will be no apprehension.

Thats not going to be the case, Harris said. I may be overly (physical). There may be a couple flags.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline obi1  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:12:50 AM(UTC)
obi1

Applause Given: 1

I hope they bring Harris back a little more slowly than he wants to comeback. Williams is beginning to mature as a player and I'd like to see him continue to develop.

Williams has done a good job in the last 4 games and may be needed again in the near future with the age factor creeping up on Harris and Woodson.

It's good to see that in Harris' absence Williams has played with such passion and effort. Also, I think he is faster than Harris and presents a better upside.
blank
Offline gbpfan  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:28:38 AM(UTC)
gbpfan

Applause Received: 3

i'm glad al will be back and like the fact they may ease him back in switch him and tramon hope they are all ready when they play titans :icon_smile:
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:34:01 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Is it just me or is the pic in the first post odd? Harris is looking up while the ball is down and trying to be caught by the Lions players.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:28:49 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 429

How awesome is it that we can actually discuss the idea that Tramon should possibly stay on the field in lieu of Al. Can anyone remember a guy by the name of Ahmad Carroll? I don't know about the rest of you, but I was scared sh!tless when Al went down. I felt like we have such bad luck in that department, further sensing we needed a guy with some serious experience to play in our scheme, e.g. Lito Sheppard. I was quietly b!tching to Ted (in my mind, not on a forum) to go get Lito, expense/draft pick/trade be damned! Thank you Mr. Williams for proving me wrong in my assessment of your abilities! And how can anyone not absolutely love Al Harris? Spleen? I don't need no friggin' spleen! Yank that puppy out... I gotta football game to play! These are my kinds of problems to have...
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Packnic  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:54:00 PM(UTC)
Packnic

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 6

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone remember a guy by the name of Ahmad Carroll? ...

HUH OH.
blank
Offline bigfog  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:15:57 PM(UTC)
bigfog

Can anyone remember a guy by the name of Ahmad Carroll? ...

HUH OH.

My face just melted off.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:04:08 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I loved the quote that he's going to get some flags.

UserPostedImage
Offline dannychau22  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:52:34 PM(UTC)
dannychau22

I think we should have him as the 3rd Cb this week and then have him and williams outside with woodson on the slot when in nickel
blank
Offline bozz_2006  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:38:01 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

i don't know enough about secondary coverage to get into matchups, but i know i'm gonna feel awesome when all three are on the field at once. and (hopefully) getting bigby back will really help the run d.
UserPostedImage
Offline dannychau22  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:43:20 PM(UTC)
dannychau22

and if harrell comes out strong.. that would be awesome
but i believe the a lot of time the nickel back is one of the starters because the slot guy has more room to work with while the guys on the outsides have can use the sidelines to their advantage
blank
Offline bozz_2006  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:50:06 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

usually woodson mans the slot in 3 receiver sets.
UserPostedImage
Offline dannychau22  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:51:43 PM(UTC)
dannychau22

usually woodson mans the slot in 3 receiver sets.

yea the better cb
blank
Offline Packnic  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:39:41 PM(UTC)
Packnic

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 6

any matchup you wanna put on the field I am now comfortable with.

I do however like Chuck playing slot recievers. it puts him in the middle of all the action able to make plays on every down, rather than deserting him on an island.

its a good situation to have... but i would still like to know how we react against a good tall reciever, like Plax and Calvin. Those two guys have torched us lately and i wanna make sure its not a problem come playoff time.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:00:35 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I say we go with

3 DL
3 LB
3 CB
2 S

:)

UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:36:40 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

I say we go with

3 DL
3 LB
3 CB
2 S

:)

So which 3 LBs??? That's a nice problem to have...Thompson's done a pretty good (not perfect) job of stocking the team. :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:03:13 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Poppinga (sub Chillar on obvious passing downs)
Barnett
Hawk

UserPostedImage
Offline djcubez  
#25 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:09:48 AM(UTC)
djcubez

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 13

Is it just me or is the pic in the first post odd? Harris is looking up while the ball is down and trying to be caught by the Lions players.

LOL nice catch there. That's funny as hell.
Check out my music webpage - Click Here
Rss Feed