Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline obi1  
#51 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:44:48 PM(UTC)
obi1

Applause Given: 1

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
McCarthy has huge balls when he sees it's 4th and 1. And with Ryan Grant no less!

I tend to think he goes for it as well but you know the old addage, when you are down there, you must come away with points.

I thought the Packer receivers would have a HUGE day but didn't... Not that they needed to but, having so few BIG plays made the game a little monotonous...
blank
Offline MassPackersFan  
#52 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:06:13 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Received: 7

the onside kick was more of a huge call

I loved it. Just a bad bounce and the wind messing with the ball a bit, probably.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:07:47 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

I will say this on Iron Man's behalf, No one can say that by running the ball GB was going to take the sure 3 they would get from a FG after Crosby missed the one before half time along with the one he missed earlier in the year.
But that missed FG could have played a part in MM's thinking. He could have said, "Let's get Crosby back out there and have him successfully make a FG before he is needed to kick a FG to win a game".
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline Packnic  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:22:32 PM(UTC)
Packnic

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 6

A couple of things:

1. Iron Man is right to question this call, and he did it in a respectful way. That's one of the great things about fan forums. We can discuss calls that don't make sense to us.

2. A couple of posters have referred to this call as a draw play. It wasn't. It was a typical handoff to the left side. I might've understood the call if we had a Reggie Bush or Warrick Dunn or someone like that to carry the ball. But Ryan Grant is not going to pick up 14 yards on that play. Mike McCarthy is a very good play caller, but that one seemed pretty odd to me.

I don't like to question individual play calls per say. A football game to me is a gigantic brutal chess match. and sometimes you make moves to do nothing else but set your opponent up. Up by 10, you can afford to take that gamble in order to get a safe 3 and set them up for the next trip in the red zone. Saying that, I definitely think you can question game plans and whole game play calling. But calling out individual plays in an entire game plan is like dumping a hot chick because she had a pimple on her shoulder.

I would also like to say that Ryan Grant busted a nice touchdown run in the same area. granted it was on first down, and it wasn't do or die, but Greg said RG was not gonna pick up 14 yards. But his TD run was in the red zone as well and racked up 11 yards. I'm just saying its very possible if executed well and catches them off guard.
blank
Offline MassPackersFan  
#55 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:18:04 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Received: 7

2. A couple of posters have referred to this call as a draw play. It wasn't. It was a typical handoff to the left side. I might've understood the call if we had a Reggie Bush or Warrick Dunn or someone like that to carry the ball. But Ryan Grant is not going to pick up 14 yards on that play. Mike McCarthy is a very good play caller, but that one seemed pretty odd to me.

Yeah sorry, I didn't feel like typing "hand-off" over and over again so I inaccurately used the shorter "draw", assuming people would know what I meant since I was referring to a play that already happened.
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#56 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:59:47 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

Overall, I think Mike McCarthy does a very nice job of game planning. With that in mind, I am beginning to wonder if there's a play gap in the offense when you get to the 14-18 yard range, because it appears he's not comfortable calling for a pass at that range, and has settled for an attempt for 3 pts each time (first two by simply kicking, and the last by a run that looked like it had very little chance of making 10 yds).
UserPostedImage
Offline MattG04  
#57 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 9:48:48 PM(UTC)
MattG04

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Silver: 2009

As a Coach myself(not on this level of course), there are a lot of things going through your mind while calling a play. Most assume that it was to catch them off guard, but from my perspective I think he probably saw something in the defense that led him to think that his play call would work. I didn't get to watch the whole game, and if the run game was working, which by the stats, looked like it worked to an extent, then he decided to go with what was clicking at that point in the game. Regardless, I think we should like Mike call the plays and not us :)
blank
Offline wpr  
#58 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 11:23:46 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

As a Coach myself(not on this level of course), there are a lot of things going through your mind while calling a play. Most assume that it was to catch them off guard, but from my perspective I think he probably saw something in the defense that led him to think that his play call would work. I didn't get to watch the whole game, and if the run game was working, which by the stats, looked like it worked to an extent, then he decided to go with what was clicking at that point in the game. Regardless, I think we should like Mike call the plays and not us :)

Good point Coach. +1
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline IronMan  
#59 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:45:02 AM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 85
Applause Received: 98

I think we should like Mike call the plays and not us :)

Good point Coach. +1

Then we should never question Childress for not running Peterson enough. After all, he is the coach, we should let him call the plays right? We should never question Herm Edwards for being a bad clock manager. He is the coach, so he should not be questioned.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't think coaches, even good coaches like McCarthy, are above being questioned.
Offline tromadz  
#60 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:01:14 AM(UTC)
tromadz

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 34

Damn did you just compare Mike McCarthy to Childress?
Offline IronMan  
#61 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:30:56 AM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 85
Applause Received: 98

Damn did you just compare Mike McCarthy to Childress?

No.

Forget it. McCarthy has never been wrong. EVER. Running behind Clifton on 3rd and 10 is a good call. My bad.
Rss Feed