You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 5:20:23 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

Got an e-mail today.. and it made perfect sense.. something I guess I never really thought about but damn it, simple.

Quote:
Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random urine test with which I have no problem. What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them? Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on their A--, doing drugs, while I work . . . . Can you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

There is the cost of the test.. but it seems logical enough.

It very well might curb a drug problem.. people may say.. well what about there kids.. if they are doing drugs, don't have a job, then these parents have priority issues in the first place..

Anyway.. I thought it an interesting idea. Probably not new.. but something that never crossed my thoughts.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Cheesey  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 7:59:35 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

I never thought of it before. Sounds like a good idea.
Although the "druggies" would just say "I have an illness" and get away with it anyways.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 8:22:23 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

Applause Given: 143
Applause Received: 215

They'd use StarCaps and still get their wellfare cheques.
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 8:32:50 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 108
Applause Received: 197

I received this email awhile back from a friend and it seriously makes so much sense. I am with the person who originally wrote this. I have no problem helping people out. As a matter of fact, the only money I spend on myself is basically bills. The rest I always spend on others.

Here's to common sense.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 8:36:33 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Yup.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline vegOmatic  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2008 12:01:09 PM(UTC)
vegOmatic

Applause Received: 3

Pack93, you should know better. Wisconsin has that "Work to Welfare" or whatever it's called and people have raised a ruckus about it. People on welfare were required to show up for training and/or do menial service.

Also, those locked up in prisons, many of them would die to get and out work during the day, doing things like picking up trash on the roadside. But you can't have chain gangs any more.

Beats me why you voted for Obama if you expect people to be responsible for themselves.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2008 12:06:03 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,740
Applause Received: 1,790

Good post.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Cheesey  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:52:47 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Pack93, you should know better. Wisconsin has that "Work to Welfare" or whatever it's called and people have raised a ruckus about it. People on welfare were required to show up for training and/or do menial service.

Also, those locked up in prisons, many of them would die to get and out work during the day, doing things like picking up trash on the roadside. But you can't have chain gangs any more.

Beats me why you voted for Obama if you expect people to be responsible for themselves.

:thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Offline TheEngineer  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:56:46 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Would be a lot of hassle to schedule and perform random drug tests on a significant proportion of the population. This would inevitably lead to backlogs of test results and could be a sizeable cost burden to the State.

Furthermore, it's not so much that illegal drug use will decline but masking agents will rise. When people are addicted to drugs they'll either pay for it with whatever money they have or steal the money or the drugs. To quit drugs requires a shift in attitude and ceasing payment is not the way to achieve that.
blank
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:17:50 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

Most people have no clue how outlandishly expensive drug tests are. A mandatory drug screening program, laudable as it may seem in theory, would probably cost the state more than it would save. When I was in the army, our units had mandatory drug screens every month. Even though we all dutifully lined up to pee in the cups, it was an open secret that the army could only afford to test approximately 10 percent of the samples taken. That was why soldiers could get by with hosting massive parties where everyone knew that smoking pot or snorting coke were the main items of entertainment, yet only one or two -- or in most cases, no one at all -- would "piss hot" afterwards.

Now imagine multiplying those expenses by several orders of magnitude. Considering at least 43 states will have budget shortfalls this year, the proposition is simply untenable. It's cheaper just to give the junkies their damn "entitlement checks."
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:20:49 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

It sucks, hey nonstop? It's too expensive to ask the bad people to do something positive for their money, so pay them off.
Either way, it costs US, the taxpayers to keep the scum going.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:32:48 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

You have a point, Cheesey. As economists point out, if you give people the opportunity to make as much doing nothing as they would in a dead-end job, you're simply guaranteeing they'll remain unemployed.

Now, in the interests of full disclosure, I should add (with much embarrassment) that I am on virtually every "assistance program" known to man. But that's because I'm married, in school, to a wife who's also in school, with kids who must (sadly) be placed in daycare during school and work hours.

I was raised to be fiercely suspicious of government handouts, so I was dead-set against taking assistance, but my wife pointed out that it was either that or teeter on bankruptcy while we are in school, which wouldn't be fair to the children. She soothed my conscience by showing me that when I get a job (I'm a premed student), I'll pay back every penny I've borrowed from the taxpayers in two or three years max. Plus I'm in Wisconsin, a state in which I have to hold down a job in order to receive any assistance whatsoever.

So that makes it a little easier to handle.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:41:57 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

You have a point, Cheesey. As economists point out, if you give people the opportunity to make as much doing nothing as they would in a dead-end job, you're simply guaranteeing they'll remain unemployed.

Now, in the interests of full disclosure, I should add (with much embarrassment) that I am on virtually every "assistance program" known to man. But that's because I'm married, in school, to a wife who's also in school, with kids who must (sadly) be placed in daycare during school and work hours.

I was raised to be fiercely suspicious of government handouts, so I was dead-set against taking assistance, but my wife pointed out that it was either that or teeter on bankruptcy while we are in school, which wouldn't be fair to the children. She soothed my conscience by showing me that when I get a job (I'm a premed student), I'll pay back every penny I've borrowed from the taxpayers in two or three years max. Plus I'm in Wisconsin, a state in which I have to hold down a job in order to receive any assistance whatsoever.

So that makes it a little easier to handle.

There's nothing wrong with taking assistance, when it's done properly. Once, back in the 1980's when i lived up north, both i and my wife lost our jobs at the same time. (We worked at the same place) They laid off 3/4 of the workers. Of course they cut us loose one day before we would be eligable for unemployment. We had to go on assistance and foodstamps for 2 months. I HATED it! And jobs are near impossible to find up there. I went EVERY DAY to look for work, and took a $4.25 an hour job at a donut shop. I worked my butt off for almost no money.
When i went to use foodstamps, i felt like low life scum. No one MADE me feel bad, but i did. Like you, i was taught different then the mindset many folks have now.
Assistance is there for those that need it, but many "use" the system, never paying into it.
UserPostedImage
Offline 4PackGirl  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:14:38 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 149
Applause Received: 121

here's a question...do you think people who are on drugs or are drunks actually ENJOY it? do you think that every day they wake up & say "oh goody - i get to do more drugs or drink today"??
addiction tears apart families on a daily basis - mine being one of them - and while i don't make excuses for him - i STILL know he has an illness. i'm not saying you should feel sorry for them cuz i don't - just understand that they have no more control over it than anybody fighting any other illness. they need to seek & get help!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:32:56 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

here's a question...do you think people who are on drugs or are drunks actually ENJOY it? do you think that every day they wake up & say "oh goody - i get to do more drugs or drink today"??
addiction tears apart families on a daily basis - mine being one of them - and while i don't make excuses for him - i STILL know he has an illness. i'm not saying you should feel sorry for them cuz i don't - just understand that they have no more control over it than anybody fighting any other illness. they need to seek & get help!!

Thats just it.......you have to WANT help. Some people unfortunatly don't care. Some are just plain selfish, and don't care who they hurt.
I know it's not everyone, but some are just that way.
UserPostedImage