Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MontanaBob  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:25:27 PM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Applause Received: 56

I just returned from a memorial service of a good friend of mine, and long time Packer fan, Bill Moderie. None of you knew him, so let me tell you about him.

Bill was a custodian at one of the schools I was at here in Missoula. I didn't know he was a Packer fan until one day I wore a Packer sweatshirt, and from then on we did our best to wear Packer shirts when I was there just to piss off the 2 Viking fans teachers on staff.

Bill was a gentle giant. He was 6 feet 7 inches tall and his one speed was slow. But get him in a three point shooting contest with the kids and he was deadly. Or throwing a football. I measured one pass of his in our kids Punt, Pass, and Kick contest at 68 yards. He would do anything he could to help out the school and he had a crew of renegade 5th graders he called his "Mod Squad". They would be in before school, at recess, and sometmes even after school, to help him. Putting up bulletin boards in the halls, scrubbing black shoe marks off my gym floor, decorating the rooms for birthdays.

Bill retired several years ago due to his health and I saw him one time just after he had lost a leg due to his Diabetes. Before I could even say anything he said to me, "Bob, I lost 50 pounds in one day." I was looking puzzled and he continued, "they took off my leg." And he laughed his big old laugh.

He came from a family that had 14 children, and they are well know around Missoula and western Montana. Blue collar family of hard workers and honest people.

His wife died several years ago from cancer and he took on the role of Father, mother, and breadwinner. His youngest boy is a Packer fan...I had him in school the past two years. Today at the service I walked up to him and handed him a package wrapped in green and gold tissue paper.
He opened it and in it was my Brett Favre jersey. "Jacob," I said, "this fits you better than me. And I think your Dad would be proud if you wore it once in awhile."

Bill was 56. Heaven has another packer fan to cheer them on.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Sponsor
Offline IronMan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:31:29 PM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 75

Sorry to hear this Bob. :sad:
Offline Rockmolder  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:36:02 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 254

Quite a story Bob, it really brings tears to my eyes.

I'm very sorry for your and his family's loss.
UserPostedImage
Offline flep  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:52:28 AM(UTC)
flep

United Kingdom

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 60

So sad to hear of your loss Bob.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Offline bozz_2006  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:08:08 AM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

thanks for sharing Bob. Prayers for his family.
UserPostedImage
Offline Heatherthepackgirl  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:16:09 PM(UTC)
Heatherthepackgirl

Applause Received: 1

Sorry to hear this Bob. My prayers go out to you and may your friend rest in peace..
Heathiee
Offline 4PackGirl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:35:59 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 159
Applause Received: 124

sorry to hear about this but thank you for sharing such a touching story.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:39:26 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 390
Applause Received: 1,059

Boy Bill and I had a ton in common...

My prayers go out to his family, rest in peace my brother.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Trippster  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:38:20 PM(UTC)
Trippster

Applause Received: 10

I always smile reading your posts Bob, even in sorrow.

You have a way of making even sadness bearable.

Nice jesture too by the way.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Offline DGB454  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:04:47 PM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Applause Given: 15
Applause Received: 7

Sorry to hear about the loss of a friend Bib. My prayers are with you and his loved ones.
Offline MontanaBob  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:19:52 PM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Applause Received: 56

Thank you for all your condolences and thoughts. And Trippster, thanks for your comments. Life is too short to dwell on the negative, so I try to put some hope and laughter into things. That is why today...........

I just got back from visiting that school that Bill worked at, and my old "home " school. We talked about Bill and all the things he did for the school and kids. Several staff were feeling down so I decided things needed to cheer up. I set my cell phone to ring on it's own, and when I answered it, this followed.

Bob: "Hello.......Oh Hi. How's it going up there?............Great, sounds like a neat place...........What?........okay, I'll tell them.........Oh, cool, you sent a picture? I'll pull it up when I'm done......take care, see you later."

I then clicked to a picture I had on my cell phone of Bill in his Packer Jersey, holding up his brother by the collar of his shirt with his feet about two feet off the floor. I got this at a Grizzly football game about a year ago. His brother had on a Viking Jersey, by the way.

I told the people around me..."that was Bill, and he said to get off your sorrowful asses and don't feel sorry for him. Everyday is Super Bowl Sunday and the Packers are always in it. What more could you ask for?"

Then I showed them the picture. I think their spirits lifted quite a bit from that. And with that I proceeded to hit the lunch room and steal food from the kids I had last year.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Offline IronMan  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:39:28 PM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 75

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for all your condolences and thoughts. And Trippster, thanks for your comments. Life is too short to dwell on the negative, so I try to put some hope and laughter into things. That is why today...........

I just got back from visiting that school that Bill worked at, and my old "home " school. We talked about Bill and all the things he did for the school and kids. Several staff were feeling down so I decided things needed to cheer up. I set my cell phone to ring on it's own, and when I answered it, this followed.

Bob: "Hello.......Oh Hi. How's it going up there?............Great, sounds like a neat place...........What?........okay, I'll tell them.........Oh, cool, you sent a picture? I'll pull it up when I'm done......take care, see you later."

I then clicked to a picture I had on my cell phone of Bill in his Packer Jersey, holding up his brother by the collar of his shirt with his feet about two feet off the floor. I got this at a Grizzly football game about a year ago. His brother had on a Viking Jersey, by the way.

I told the people around me..."that was Bill, and he said to get off your sorrowful asses and don't feel sorry for him. Everyday is Super Bowl Sunday and the Packers are always in it. What more could you ask for?"

Then I showed them the picture. I think their spirits lifted quite a bit from that. And with that I proceeded to hit the lunch room and steal food from the kids I had last year.

Well done Bob!