Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:19:14 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263
As one Carolina fan wrote on the ESPN NFC North blog:

" said: Go to Quoted Post
ATTENTION NFL FANS...I am sorry to say but this guy is highly overrated and I am a fan of his...He only plays when he wants to and very rarely shows up every play. Dont get me wrong he is by far the most gifted athlete in the NFL on defense. But he has no heart and no motor. HE is not worth what he is going to get paid , nor is he worth the draft picks required to pick him up (WE WILL FRANCHISE HIM). I love Pepp and hope he stays, but it has always been frustrating to watch him, when you know, WHEN HE WANTS TO PLAY NO ONE CAN STOP HIM. But that is a VERY rare occurnce. TRUST ME, be careful what you wish for!!!
Offline go.pack.go.  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:24:47 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44
He really isn't the most gifted player on defense...

And I agree with him, I hope we don't get Peppers.

TED THOMPSON, DON'T LISTEN TO ALL THE HATERS, LEAVE PEPPERS WHERE HE'S AT!!
Offline Bigbyfan  
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:33:23 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 150

ATTENTION NFL FANS...I am sorry to say but this guy is highly overrated and I am a fan of his...He only plays when he wants to and very rarely shows up every play. Dont get me wrong he is by far the most gifted athlete in the NFL on defense. But he has no heart and no motor. HE is not worth what he is going to get paid , nor is he worth the draft picks required to pick him up (WE WILL FRANCHISE HIM). I love Pepp and hope he stays, but it has always been frustrating to watch him, when you know, WHEN HE WANTS TO PLAY NO ONE CAN STOP HIM. But that is a VERY rare occurnce. TRUST ME, be careful what you wish for!!!

Sounds like a bitter fan to me... It happens with every team, they think their guy is the greatest until he leaves their team. It even happens with our Packer fans ;)
Offline yooperfan  
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:38:19 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 954
Applause Received: 431
He really isn't the most gifted player on defense...

And I agree with him, I hope we don't get Peppers.

TED THOMPSON, DON'T LISTEN TO ALL THE HATERS, LEAVE PEPPERS WHERE HE'S AT!!

"Don't listen to all the haters", what the hell is that all about young man?
Offline RaiderPride  
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:48:08 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 187
Applause Received: 256

That is ONE WAY of looking at it.

The other way is to look at motivation. Motivation can be the be all or end all between good and great or very good and very great.

There is not a great deal of History behind the Panthers. History, or being compared to history can be a powerful motivating factor.

When someone with as much raw natural talent as Peppers has, and he comes into the hallowed grounds of Green Bay, when he walks through the Packers Hall Of Fame, and sees Ray Nitschke's game-used jersey and his photos, or Willie Woods', or the Super Bowl I football signed by the whole Packers team. Well... That could bring out the little bit between very good and very great.

Peppers could be humbled into being a player who takes his game to the next level.

I really hope he comes to Green Bay. Not only for the Packers fans, but for Julius Peppers as well.

R.P.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#21 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:04:55 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263
"Don't listen to all the haters", what the hell is that all about young man?

Believe me, I wasn't holding this man up as an exemplar of good writing or logical argument, merely quoting him to show that there is vocal dissatisfaction with Peppers even among Carolina fans.

I think what he was trying to say is that a lot of so-called "Ted Thompson haters" are demanding that Thompson make a big splash in free agency to prove his mettle as a GM, and this guy wants to point out that it would be short-sighted of Thompson to gamble on Peppers.

Peppers could be humbled into being a player who takes his game to the next level.

While that is an interesting perspective, I have to wonder if gambling huge money on the possibility that the storied tradition of Lambeau Field might awe a player is really a wise move.

I guess the whole point of this thread is to discuss that possibility, isn't it. :)
Offline bozz_2006  
#22 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:11:11 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14
lol. thanks for the quote, but i think RP said that, not me!
Offline blueleopard  
#23 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:37:40 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 81
I'm more worried about Peppers fitting in the new scheme than his "I only play when I want to" attitude.

You suit up every down. You're paid to play. Offensive linemen are punching the hell out of you in every down. Would you really just stand there and take it, because you don't want to play?

He's on the field every down. He's never on the sideline. So uh... yeah, I'd say he wants to play.

Besides, if he were to become a Packer--he'd be playing opposite Aaron Kampman. He'll be in front of the very aggressive Al Harris. He'll be alongside one of the NFL's most gifted athletes in Charles Woodson.

If Peppers is any bit as good as we all know he is, he'd want to show off to our best players as well.
Offline gopackgo  
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:15:27 PM(UTC)

I just wanted to clear this up, because I'm not sure everyone knows it. I didn't until a couple of days ago.

Peppers wants to play in a 3-4 as a stand-up linebacker. DE apparently is not wants he wants anymore.

I was all for getting Peppers until I heard the linebacker bit. Currently at 290 pounds, he is a well oversized to OLB.

Unless he changes his mind about what positions he would want to play, there is no reason we should sign him.
Offline bozz_2006  
#25 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:25:54 PM(UTC)

he's no more fit for a 3-4 DE. If Capers plans on putting Kampman at the end of the line, as an outside rusher, I'd be very interested to see what he would do with Peppers as the other OLB. I've said it before. This ain't gonna be your daddy's 3-4 defense.
Offline flep  
#26 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 5:06:04 PM(UTC)

United Kingdom
Applause Given: 59
Applause Received: 63
Sign him.

And while we're at it can we get Haynesworth as well.......

If we use a few draft picks in the process I'm happy with that.
Offline warhawk  
#27 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 6:28:33 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 253
Was it not Peppers who did virtually nothing in 2007. I know there was a top name like his back then that everybody was wondering where he went.
If so, now that he was in his final year he really has no choice but to show up unless he's not worried about getting paid. I would be worried with anyone where you follow the money and it tells the story.
Offline bozz_2006  
#28 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 6:50:49 PM(UTC)

i said the same thing about woodson when we signed him. people said the same thing during moss's time in oakland. Peppers says he wants out of Carolina. I have to assume his disappearing act had to do with his dissatisfaction with carolina. not saying he won't do that in his new home.
Offline doddpower  
#29 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 7:10:25 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 682
Was it not Peppers who did virtually nothing in 2007. I know there was a top name like his back then that everybody was wondering where he went.
If so, now that he was in his final year he really has no choice but to show up unless he's not worried about getting paid. I would be worried with anyone where you follow the money and it tells the story.

Carolina was terrible all the way around in 2007. While it's not ideal, I can see it being tough for a player to give 110% every down of every game when you don't even really have a starting quarterback and you know your team isn't going to the playoffs. It would be tough.

I give him a pass for 2007. He probably just really wants to win.
Offline porky88  
#30 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 7:29:51 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 245
Applause Received: 487

I get the feeling Carolina fans would be saying different things had Julius Peppers came out and said he wanted to stay in Carolina.

Peppers is a special talent. He was arguably the best defensive end prospect to enter the draft in this decade. It was either him or Mario Williams and I would take Julius Peppers on my team in a heartbeat. The question is whether or not he can work in the 3-4 and sometimes you have to take risks and this is a risk I think is worth taking.

The Packers have so much cap that if he's a bust then so be it. It's not the end of the world and GB isn't going to be in salary cap hell if one guy doesn't workout. People need to remember that Mike Sherman gave big contracts to quite a few players that were busts and that's why the Packers were having problems with their cap.

If he works out then all of a sudden you have Julius Peppers, Aaron Kampman, A.J. Hawk, and Nick Barnett all playing linebacker in the 3-4 defense. The more I think about it the more I think that could be the most intimidating line backing core to play in the NFL in quite along time.
Rss Feed