Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Cheesey  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 6:50:25 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 177
Applause Received: 396

We live in a time when many schools don't even keep score, for fear of hurting the poor self asteem of the "losing" team.
"Participation trophies for EVERYONE!!!"

This kind of unnecessary blowout is just more fuel for the "PC" crowd as to why we shouldn't keep score.
When you are up 50-0, THROTTLE BACK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
You have the game won, no need to humiliate the other team.
Sportsmanship is something that has to be TAUGHT. It doesn't come automatic.
JMO
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 6:56:20 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 187
Applause Received: 410

There are several youtube videos up on this subject. I watched the one focusing on the losing team. They are "over" it, and also, due to the publicity, are getting invited to things like Mavericks games.

Here is another tidbit:

Winning team now wants to forfeit
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 7:34:27 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

It's just a game ... that has lost a lot of muster with this sort of thing. Again, if the starters were going full throttle in the 4th, that I do not agree with. But if it was bench players who don't get much playing time going full throttle in the fourth, I think that's fine and people need to get the hell over it. I know if I was a bench player and didn't' get a lot of time I sure as hell wouldn't be easing off. I'd be getting as much practice time on the court as I could.

It is JUST A GAME, after all.

Many variances to this story that could change ones perception. Such as if the coach was leaving the starters in hoping to get 100 points, that's sh*tty. If he yanked his starters in the 3rd and his bench players were able to rack up points too, I think it's completely absurd for anyone to be upset about it. You don't play DOWN to your competition.

I know what its like to get throttled. My high school teams couldn't score worth a lick. The only thing were known for was our wrestling teams. We lost every game in football for quite sometime. Got our asses handed to us. Know what? We didn't care, it was fun to PLAY THE GAME and it was just that, a game. Did it suck we got beat every game? Yeah, but you get over it. There's more to life than high school sports, or sports for that matter.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 7:42:00 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
We live in a time when many schools don't even keep score, for fear of hurting the poor self asteem of the "losing" team.

This kind of unnecessary blowout is just more fuel for the "PC" crowd as to why we shouldn't keep score.
JMO

Heh. Losing 100-0 might be a good thing for these kids.

And agreed with you about political correctness.

A little tidbit. A good friend of mine was a typical older brother. used to beat up his little brother all the time. Well, his brother grew up to be a competing bodybuilder, a heck of a musician, and has a PhD (and a hot wife). Perhaps getting beat up was a good thing?

Of course, that will go right over a PC person's head.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Formo  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 9:58:55 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

JMO

I'm with you on the PC crap..

But, if the losing team would learn to play, the winning team wouldn't have to throttle back. When it rains, it pours.

I didn't see the the winning coach got fired.. That's absurd! Christian school or not.. Also, another absurdity, is that the winning team FORFEITED!

What.
The.
Crap?

I will say, that league should have a rule in play that if one team is winning by a specific margin, that they end the game. But, because they DON'T have a rule like that, the winning team showed the losing team how to play basketball.

Also, remember fellas.. these are girls. Shooting 3s IS throttling off.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:26:57 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

[youtube]IMk5sMHj58I[/youtube]
UserPostedImage
Offline El3ment12  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:34:05 PM(UTC)
El3ment12

Applause Given: 31
Applause Received: 24

Who scheduled this game anyway? HE should be fired. The guy who scheduled it should not get away with it! lol
Offline Yerko  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:48:19 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 244

The person who should have really been fired is most likely the athletic director of the school who scheduled this game.

I agree with the coach firing too and its sad that there isn't some sort of mercy rule if it actually came to this point.

A team doesn't score 1 point in the first half is a good indication that bad things are coming in the second half...just my opinion.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:05:03 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 390
Applause Received: 1,059

For you defending the actions of the coach.. they were reacting to the crowd asking them to break 100..

If go into halftime 59-0 or whatever.. you don't continue to press until the 4th quarter and pounce on turnovers on their side of the court within the press..

Common sportsmanship would be to run full set offenses, slow down the pace and speed up the end of the game. Call off the full court press and let them at least get it past half court.

I am sorry, I see no defense of the coach himself.. you have the game in hand.. become a sport and don't try to break 100 to prove your superiority. As a coach, part of your responsibility is to instill ethics and competitive spirit into young people... not take everything you can get at all costs.

It is bullsh*t.. either way you slice it.. I thought it bullsh*t when Billicheat last year continued to run the 2 minute offense late into at hand games and rub in another score or two.. it is poor sportsmanship.

And in the land of sports, little room for those that can't stay within a realm of proper sportsmanship.

I remember last year reading about a young lady that blew her knee out in a softball game.. the opposing coach allowed her teammates to carry her around the bases to finish off her home run gallop.. no rule forced him or her to do so.. they just understood what sportsmanship was.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:56:09 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

It is bullsh*t.. either way you slice it.. I thought it bullsh*t when Billicheat last year continued to run the 2 minute offense late into at hand games and rub in another score or two.. it is poor sportsmanship.

Well, if we're up 42-0 against the Cows and have 5 minutes left to play, I'd want us to break the big 5-0. If that means attempting an onside kick, so be it.

I want to see TO cry again on TV. That would be cool. What would be even more cool is being the person who made TO cry.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:24:31 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

For you defending the actions of the coach.. they were reacting to the crowd asking them to break 100..

If go into halftime 59-0 or whatever.. you don't continue to press until the 4th quarter and pounce on turnovers on their side of the court within the press..

Common sportsmanship would be to run full set offenses, slow down the pace and speed up the end of the game. Call off the full court press and let them at least get it past half court.

I am sorry, I see no defense of the coach himself.. you have the game in hand.. become a sport and don't try to break 100 to prove your superiority. As a coach, part of your responsibility is to instill ethics and competitive spirit into young people... not take everything you can get at all costs.

And in the land of sports, little room for those that can't stay within a realm of proper sportsmanship.

I remember last year reading about a young lady that blew her knee out in a softball game.. the opposing coach allowed her teammates to carry her around the bases to finish off her home run gallop.. no rule forced him or her to do so.. they just understood what sportsmanship was.

From what I have read, they stopped the full court press after they were up 20-0 in the 1st period and dropped back to just a zone defense. They played the full bench and stopped driving to make normal shots for girls BBall and just let them go from outside where the normal completion percentage is 30%.

The only thing they really could have done more is to sit in their hands and let the other team score. Which would be noticeable and even more embarrassing.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:28:45 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Mike and Mike had the story late last week.. the story as reported in the Dallas Morning news was they had a full court press on 2 minutes into the fourth quarter.. Maybe I need to read further into the story..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:34:48 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Two stories I guess.. maybe they should break out the tape of the game.

http://www.dallasnews.co...ocovenantnu.2781526.html

Quote:
Dallas Academy coaches and administrators say Covenant kept the pressure on until it reached 100 points midway through the fourth quarter.

Quote:
Dallas Academy coach Andrew Lott agreed that Covenant stopped pressing at that point but returned with an alternate press later in the game.

"I am 100 percent sure," said Lott, who estimated that his team was able to take seven shots all game.

Dallas Academy, renowned for its work with students who have learning disabilities, is winless this season and has not won a game in at least four seasons

UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:38:42 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

Mike and Mike had the story late last week.. the story as reported in the Dallas Morning news was they had a full court press on 2 minutes into the fourth quarter.. Maybe I need to read further into the story..

http://www.flightbasketb...Response-From-Coach.html
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:10:37 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

http://www.flightbasketb...Response-From-Coach.html

That is his and teams response.. which very well might be as well.

Guess is proves on thing though.. Mike and Mike may have jumped to conclusions and made it a total victim story..

Wonder if they have a tape of the game.. curious for the grounds of termination?

UserPostedImage