Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline musccy  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 10:50:24 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 242
Applause Received: 232

Like we couldn't see this coming from a mile away, but new reports suggesting Brett will return at some point to the Vikings.

Brett back to Vikes

Quote:
On the same day that Adam Schefter officially arrives at ESPN, the four-letter network has made a "breaking news" splash regarding a non-report report from Jay Glazer of FOX.

(As the competition increases, Clayton finally has sworn off farting while on the air.)

Though Glazer is not reporting that Favre will be a Viking in 2009, Glazer comes excruciatingly close to doing so.

"After visiting the Vikings for two days, I am convinced -- positively convinced -- that Brett Favre will soon have talks with the Vikings to return to the team and could be joining them for this season after all," Glazer writes. "If my instincts are correct, all those purple Favre jerseys will have a home on Minnesota store shelves."

Glazer also says that "damn near everybody" at Vikings camp agrees with this assessment. (Glazer caps that sentiment with an exclamation point. However, when that form of punctuation is associated with Glazer's name at any point going forward, our first thought will be of Glazer inviting a gaggle of blue hairs to "eat it!")

Though Glazer is careful to point out that it's not hard news, it's the most confident form of educated speculation we've ever encountered.

"During my two days in Mankato, nearly everyone I talked to within the team talked about Favre joining not as an 'if' but rather a 'when,'" Glazer writes.

"This is not one of those 'FOXSports.com has learned ...' scoops. Instead, it's a picture that has been painted for me and a prediction I'm making after spending my time with Zygi Wilf's squad. My prediction couldn't be more emphatic."

Bottom line? Glazer isn't putting his reporting reputation on the line with this one, yet. But he's definitely venturing far onto the limb with respect to his prognostication skills.

For what it's worth, Peter King of SI.com has a similar -- though not as strong -- feeling regarding Favre's potential future with the Vikings.

"I think the Minnesota Vikings, should they struggle at quarterback, will call Brett Favre," King writes in his Monday Morning Quarterback column. "It's a pretty strong feeling, based on knowing the people involved and based on the desperation of the Vikings to do more than win a division this year."

So there you have it. Only days after we finally learned Mike Vick's destination for 2009, Lord Favre is back in play.
Offline wils0646  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 10:53:19 AM(UTC)
wils0646

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 4

So, did he really just fake retire so he could skip training camp?
The Pack Will Be Back.
Offline DakotaT  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 11:02:16 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

His itch will come a little later in the year than last.
UserPostedImage
Offline MassPackersFan  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 11:17:21 AM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Received: 7

The more this happens, the smarter Thompson looks.
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 11:36:15 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 202

I'm sick of this crap. Why report your gut feeling just fricken wait till its a done deal.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline wils0646  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 11:46:09 AM(UTC)
wils0646

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I'm sick of this crap. Why report your gut feeling just fricken wait till its a done deal.

Because Vikings players are convinced that he'll be back. It's a reportable story, but yes, it's very drawn out. Favre just needs to finally stick to a decision and vehemently deny/acknowledge any rumors.

http://www.wklh.com/

Apparently Leroy Butler was on the show and said that this deal has been in place for a while. So, what is really going on here?
The Pack Will Be Back.
Offline 4PackGirl  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 11:52:27 AM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 159
Applause Received: 124

personally, i don't see how this is favre's "fault" at all. every tom dick n harry reporter churns out crud like this & he's supposed to "disspell" every stinkin on of these rumors? really?
UserPostedImage
Offline MassPackersFan  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 11:54:38 AM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Absolutely, you could blame the media for this. But you can't honestly tell me that Favre has done anything over the past couple of years to decrease the speculation or media whoring in ANY way whatsoever.

I'm really starting to believe that Favre is just a shortsighted hick, without Irv around to box his ears every once in a while.
UserPostedImage
Offline wils0646  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 11:57:21 AM(UTC)
wils0646

Absolutely, you could blame the media for this. But you can't honestly tell me that Favre has done anything over the past couple of years to decrease the speculation or media whoring in ANY way whatsoever.

I'm really starting to believe that Favre is just a shortsighted hick, without Irv around to box his ears every once in a while.

If this "deal" has been in place for a while, I'm really going to be pissed off. Was this just a ploy for him to come in without the rigorous training camp/first preseason games?

The media does whore this story out, but Favre really makes it possible with his amazing indecisiveness.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Offline MassPackersFan  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 12:02:35 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

If this deal has been in place for a while, then I'm going to laugh until it hurts over how much of his b***h Favre has made the Vikings. I bet Childress would wipe Favre's ass for him if he asked.
UserPostedImage
Offline 4PackGirl  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 12:04:02 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 159
Applause Received: 124

he's a professional athlete who enjoys attention...what a concept, huh? lol. i totally know what you're saying, mass. i'm just tired of the second a rumor gets 'reported', boom - 'favre's at fault & he needs to stop the rumors.' i'm not sure who's worse - the media, favre, or the fans who can't whine enough about him.
UserPostedImage
Offline MassPackersFan  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 12:17:22 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Finger pointing is silly at this point, you're right. I prefer to just sit back, laugh, and feel good about it being some other team going through the drama!
UserPostedImage
Offline Trippster  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 12:19:02 PM(UTC)
Trippster

Applause Received: 10

It's a smart play on both sides.

Favre probably said, "look, I don't want to deal with training camp so how about we limit my involvement to two games". After all, that is what the NFL is currently comtemplating.

The Vikings can concentrate on coaching up rosenfelds and Jackson and if need be, put one on the blocks (Jackson) after Favre comes in.

We and the media act as if it is our "right" to know everyhting that goes on...and it just aint so!
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Offline wils0646  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 12:28:44 PM(UTC)
wils0646

It's a smart play on both sides.

Favre probably said, "look, I don't want to deal with training camp so how about we limit my involvement to two games". After all, that is what the NFL is currently comtemplating.

The Vikings can concentrate on coaching up rosenfelds and Jackson and if need be, put one on the blocks (Jackson) after Favre comes in.

We and the media act as if it is our "right" to know everyhting that goes on...and it just aint so!

How is it a smart play to intentionally deceive fans and players? Is it also smart to completely distract the team with this BS while finally waiting for some concrete decision from Favre?

It's insulting to us fans if he escapes the rigorous training camp and preseason games by lying about retiring, while also lying about how his body cannot hold up anymore through the 16 game season.*

*IF HE COMES BACK
The Pack Will Be Back.
Offline MassPackersFan  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 12:29:39 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

I respectfully disagree and think bringing in a 40 year old QB who was injured last year and has been retired AFTER training camp and preseason, hoping he'll be sharp and ready to go, isn't the smartest move in the world.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed