Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#31 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 2:54:51 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 938
Applause Received: 1,916
" said: Go to Quoted Post
All I know is that thanks to this story there is fresh material to work with in the 900+ page Favre- to- Vikes thread at P.P.O.

I know this will come as a shock, but I have already opted to take full advantage.

:danceme:

So I read. And I'm the one that's a smart ass around here. :icon_smile:

You guys be nice over there. I want Karma on our side this year.

I refuse to join that site.
Offline Trippster  
#32 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 3:01:55 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 10
In addition to wimping out of training camp rigors, Brett's not too fond of having to 'lower himself' to living in a dorm and other training camp lifestyles. He got a personal ride in an escalade to packer practices near the end of his career (at least a few I attended) and reportedly had his own sectioned off portion of the Jets locker room.

Did Brett tell you he was not fond of the dorm style rooms? If he did would that surprise you? Do you think ANY millionaire (insert any NFL player) who is used to 5 star hotels is fond of drom rooms?

And why do you think he didn't ride a bike after practice (like he did his first year) Same reason Al Harris doesn't? Because it causes too much of a mob scene. By the way, it was the management that dtarted shuttling him and a few other "stars" back and forth, not the players.

Same thing for the Locker room. How would you like to have a locker right next to favre after every game? a million reporters around him, etc.

Quit demonizing Favre for every little thing.

We as fans don't deserve an answer.....period.

As far as the players go,
Does management of any company tell it's rank and file of any large acquisition beforehand? only those that need to know to do their job.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#33 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 4:35:10 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 263

Given the fact we fans pay his salary, yes, in fact, we do.

After listening to Jay Glazer's interview on Chris Myers and Steve Hartman's Fox Sports Radio show, I still don't believe Favre will actually suit up in purple this year.
Offline musccy  
#34 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 5:23:59 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 660
Applause Received: 662

Did Brett tell you he was not fond of the dorm style rooms? If he did would that surprise you? Do you think ANY millionaire (insert any NFL player) who is used to 5 star hotels is fond of drom rooms?

And why do you think he didn't ride a bike after practice (like he did his first year) Same reason Al Harris doesn't? Because it causes too much of a mob scene. By the way, it was the management that dtarted shuttling him and a few other "stars" back and forth, not the players.

Same thing for the Locker room. How would you like to have a locker right next to favre after every game? a million reporters around him, etc.

Quit demonizing Favre for every little thing.

As far as the players go,
Does management of any company tell it's rank and file of any large acquisition beforehand? only those that need to know to do their job.

Whether it be influenced by management or not, there is little arguing that Brett developed a prima dona personality putting himself above the team(s) and in some respect influenced him not partaking in activities that other athletes do (begrudgingly or not).

There is also little doubt that Brett enjoys promoting his 'good 'ole boy - ride my tractor in my wranglers, go huntin' and fishin,' down to earth mentality' yet his diva tendencies starkly contrast the image he purposefully portrays through the media
Offline Formo  
#35 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 6:20:27 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 216
Applause Received: 154

After listening to Jay Glazer's interview on Chris Myers and Steve Hartman's Fox Sports Radio show, I still don't believe Favre will actually suit up in purple this year.

Actually, you do not pay his salary. Whomever the owner of the team he suits up for pays his salary. We just pay the price of the tickets/merchandise. The only info we 'deserve' to know, is how much those players are getting paid. Which we do.

We do not need to, nor deserve to, have an answer. The sad thing, the media has such a self-righteous attitude about things, people following the media tend to feel the same way.. 'We deserve an answer to EVERYTHING.' Which is really sad.

If the Vikings front office pursues Favre, I will disagree with their actions. This is not the way to get a starting QB on your team, IMO. But, if it does happen, I'll still support Favre. After seeing the travesty of T-Jack this past Friday, I think it would do more good than bad to have Favre behind center.
Offline LambeauEast  
#36 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 6:20:58 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 20
UUGGHH, this guy again?! Well, can't say we didn't see it coming. :thumbright:
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#37 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 6:47:16 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 263
Actually, you do not pay his salary. Whomever the owner of the team he suits up for pays his salary.

That's analogous to the classic politicians' argument that raising corporate taxes doesn't affect customers. Of course it does. Every time corporate taxes are raised, corporations simply pass the increased cost onto customers. Corporations don't pay taxes.

It's the same with players' salaries. Regardless of whose name is actually stamped on the check, it's the fans who pay for it, whether through buying tickets, NFL Sunday Ticket, NFL/team merchandise, or even the products advertised by NFL sponsors.

Players are not private individuals. The law considers them "public figures" with a vastly diminished expectation of privacy. That's the fate they have voluntarily chosen, so they cannot justifiably feign indignance when the public holds them to that standard. Therefore, while fans may not have a de jure "right" to know, I cannot fault them for having an expectation of forthrightness and transparency.

And yes, I acknowledge that I may be playing the hypocrite here, as I defend GMs for hiding behind a poker face, but I think there is a fundamental difference between discretion and indecision.
Offline longtimefan  
#38 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 6:48:22 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Actually, you do not pay his salary. Whomever the owner of the team he suits up for pays his salary. We just pay the price of the tickets/merchandise. .

Where do the owners get the money to pay their salary? Tickets and merchandising

Its the same as saying to a cop I pay your salary
Offline dfosterf  
#39 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 6:56:54 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 228
Applause Received: 478
I think we have run out of shit to argue about and are now making it up as we go.

:thumbleft:
Offline musccy  
#40 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 6:57:58 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 660
Applause Received: 662
nonstop...you stole my thunder, great post.

It's a two-way street. You want the astronomical salaries that come with playing a child's game, then you deal with the fans who may at times seem irrational and intrusive, though that passion is ultimately what supports your (the player's) pay check
Rss Feed