Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<3456>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Formo  
#61 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:42:19 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
and in the end ... not correct. :)

Comprehension my friend. I didn't predict how the Jets would do during the '09 season. I stated how they did in the '07 and '08 seasons.

The packers offered him money to retire

No. They didn't. He was already retired. They offered him money for the rights to use his image in marketing campaigns for the next ten years. His return to the league, in any uniform, rendered such a deal moot.

Thus.. The money was for him to stay retired. =)
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#62 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:52:02 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

No, it wasn't. The deal had been originally offered to him before he retired. But it makes no sense for a team to market a player who is on another roster, so naturally the offer was withdrawn when he went to the Jets.
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#63 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:41:30 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 201

No, it wasn't. The deal had been originally offered to him before he retired. But it makes no sense for a team to market a player who is on another roster, so naturally the offer was withdrawn when he went to the Jets.

Child please you know damn well the offer was made to keep him retired, everyone knows that. It's just like when your wife puts on something that is butt ugly and she asks how she looks and what do most men say? It looks good on you.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#64 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 1:31:10 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

What part of "the offer was on the table before ever retired" do you not understand?

Your slandering of the front office doesn't make your allegations true. Everyone knew that the Duke boys had raped that girl too.

f*ck what everyone knows. The majority is usually wrong.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#65 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 2:51:49 AM(UTC)
Formo

The offer could have been drawn up 2 years prior to his leaving the team in the first place.. The fact still remains that it required him to not return to the NFL in order for the contract to be valid.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#66 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 3:06:19 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,914
Applause Received: 2,118

The offer could have been drawn up 2 years prior to his leaving the team in the first place.. The fact still remains that it required him to not return to the NFL in order for the contract to be valid.

Brett told Al Jones he didn't understand why the media is referring to the Marketing Deal as a bribe because thats not what it is.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#67 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 7:28:59 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

The fact still remains that it required him to not return to the NFL in order for the contract to be valid.

Are you insinuating that there is a clause in this contract stipulating that he must remain retired in order to receive the money? I highly doubt that this is so. I think it's simply a practical effect of the fact that it makes no logical (or economic) sense for a team to market a player who is playing for another organization.

But I don't know the official NFL policies on this matter. I don't know if there are procedures in place to prevent an organization from having such an agreement with another team's player (somewhat analogous to the league's tampering rules). I wonder if someone like Andrew Brandt or Tom Florio could clarify this for us.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#68 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 8:23:49 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

If Favre is active as a NFL player, the Packers don't need his permission to use his name.

If Favre is retired from the NFL, the Packers need his permission (aka Marketing Agreement) to profit from his name.
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#69 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 2:07:02 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 201

I think Favre should tell the Packers they can't use his name on anything, Ted Thompson wanted him gone so why should they make money off him?

edit: And just to shut up people saying they aren't check out Packer Pro shop.

http://www.packersprosho...?k=favre&x=0&y=0
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#70 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:00:40 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I think Favre should tell the Packers they can't use his name on anything, Ted Thompson wanted him gone so why should they make money off him?

edit: And just to shut up people saying they aren't check out Packer Pro shop.

http://www.packersprosho...?k=favre&x=0&y=0

Didn't I just explain this in my previous post?
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#71 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:48:27 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

That would explain why the Packers Pro Shop isn't selling Reggie White jerseys, then. I was surprised when I found that out.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#72 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 7:02:42 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 391
Applause Received: 1,063

That would explain why the Packers Pro Shop isn't selling Reggie White jerseys, then. I was surprised when I found that out.

Shouldn't be when the Packers and Reggie's family had a falling out a couple years ago. I don't remember the reason.. but I remember it having marketing impacts. Googled for the article for reference.. can't seem to find it in a quick search..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#73 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 8:34:46 PM(UTC)
Formo

The fact still remains that it required him to not return to the NFL in order for the contract to be valid.

Are you insinuating that there is a clause in this contract stipulating that he must remain retired in order to receive the money?

I'd imagine so. I don't know.. but I'm also one of the belief that the Packers drew up that agreement to ensure Favre's retirement.

I highly doubt that this is so. I think it's simply a practical effect of the fact that it makes no logical (or economic) sense for a team to market a player who is playing for another organization.

I agree. But to cover all the bases I wouldn't be surprised to see a clause in said marketing agreement that touched on Favre's active status in the NFL
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#74 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 8:37:32 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Are you insinuating that there is a clause in this contract stipulating that he must remain retired in order to receive the money?

I'd imagine so. I don't know.. but I'm also one of the belief that the Packers drew up that agreement to ensure Favre's retirement.

It was written up I believe two years prior to him announcing his retirement as a Packer. It was then brought up again, because ... ahh ... well he was RETIRED therefore it became a necessary topic of discussion. It's pretty simple. Oh, and another thing some seem to have forgotten, if he signed the agreement, Brett said he could have still unretired and played as the agreement would have been put on hold until he retired. Which kind of makes the whole 'bribe to stay retired' thing MOOTie POOTie.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#75 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 8:42:04 PM(UTC)
Formo

It was written up I believe two years prior to him announcing his retirement as a Packer. It was then brought up again, because ... ahh ... well he was RETIRED therefore it became a necessary topic of discussion. It's pretty simple. Oh, and another thing some seem to have forgotten, if he signed the agreement, Brett said he could have still unretired and played as the agreement would have been put on hold until he retired. Which kind of makes the whole 'bribe to stay retired' thing MOOTie POOTie.

No one knew about the agreement until Favre started calling for a trade. You said it.. In order for the agreement to hold water he's have to stay retired.. Yes, it would still be in affect just on hold until he did officially retire.. But in order for him to bring in that money.. He'd have to stay retired. It's still a bribe in my mind, but you can continue to look at it like the way you do. I don't blame you.
UserPostedImage