Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline macbob  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:53:25 PM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 321
Applause Received: 267

Told my little boy (12) yesterday that Brett Favre had signed with the Vikings. I knew he loved Favre, but I was startled at the emotion in his reaction. He really started cheering, whooping it up big time, and said he hoped they beat the Packers!

Needless to say, I was shocked. I've been a Packers fan since the early 60s, suffered through the 70s & 80s, then enjoyed the success during the Favre years. There's no way for even a moment that I'd contemplate saying "I hope Brett and the Vikings beat the Packers!"

When I asked, he said he was still a Packers fan. But then he went on a rant (which is EXTREMELY rare with this guy, so I know this is something that's been on his mind) about how the Packers shouldn't have traded him to another team last year, hadn't treated him right etc.

We had a discussion about if you could call yourself a fan if you were rooting for another team to beat them, and he said it was just for 2 games, he'd root for the Packers during all the rest of the games!

I hadn't thought about it, but until last year, the only quarterback he's ever known for the Packers was Brett. So I'm cutting him a little slack, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch the Packers-Vikings games if my boy is going to be next to me cheering the bad plays and booing the good plays.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline longtimefan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:04:24 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 11/30/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

closet time
Offline djcubez  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:16:51 AM(UTC)
djcubez

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 13

Hey I'm 21 and consider myself a Packer's fan yet Rodgers is the only quarterback I've seen play QB besides Favre as long as I've been watching. All I really have to say is that if you ever root for a team to lose, you can't be a fan of that team plain and simple.
Check out my music webpage - Click Here
Offline Cheesey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:34:10 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 233
Applause Received: 460

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Hey I'm 21 and consider myself a Packer's fan yet Rodgers is the only quarterback I've seen play QB besides Favre as long as I've been watching. All I really have to say is that if you ever root for a team to lose, you can't be a fan of that team plain and simple.

Thats the way i see it.
You are either a fan, or not.
Of course i guess you can be a "part time" fan.
Doesn't make any sense to me, but to each his own i guess.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:45:17 AM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

To give the kid some leeway, though. He's only 12. Not like he's oozing with wisdom.

Give him time. He'll see the err in his ways, and bleed purple full time!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Cheesey  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:47:06 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 233
Applause Received: 460

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
To give the kid some leeway, though. He's only 12. Not like he's oozing with wisdom.

Give him time. He'll see the err in his ways, and bleed purple full time!

Hopefully!
Hopefully he will "bleed" all that bad purple out of his system! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Offline loosenut  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:00:18 AM(UTC)
loosenut

Rank: Practice Squad

Australia
Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1

He's only 12! I remember when I was 12, the rugby league (type of football here in Australia) team I cheered for was the team who won the grand final the year before! Brett Favre is probably his hero.

Once he gets a bit older he'll realise that the team is more important then individual players. I'm not surprised a 12 year old Brett Favre fan is glad he's playing again... hell a little part of me is glad I get to see him slinging it around for another season or two... just as long as it isn't at the packers expense! :)
Offline TheEngineer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:50:34 AM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)


Rodgers will be playing long after Favre's retired*.

It'll be far easier for him to remember back on his teenage years with Rodgers as our QB than Favre who got traded by the Packers management.



* Not a guarantee.
blank
Offline flep  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:36:41 AM(UTC)
flep

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United Kingdom
Joined: 8/14/2008(UTC)
Location: UK

Applause Given: 59
Applause Received: 60

He is only 12 as you say

But is adoption an option????
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage


I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Offline Rockmolder  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:17:23 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 272

It's not that weird actually. All that we're cheering for is a shell. Team colors. Nothing more. He's cheering for a guy with emotions and what not. Not saying that I'm going to follow Favre, but it's might even be more natural to follow your favorite player than following a team.

I remember that, when I was 10, Ruud van Nistelrooy went to Manchester. I pretty much became a Manchester fan at that point with PSV coming in second. It'll blow over, I figure.

I see how it might get quite annoying on sundays, though. Lol.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:37:52 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 688
Applause Received: 1,411

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Once he gets a bit older he'll realise that the team is more important then individual players.



If only some of the otherwise intelligent posters on this forum would come to that realization, we could actual talk X's and O's instead of fighting so much over our ex-player rights.

12 year old boys do a lot of dumb things because of energy. 18 - 25 year old men do a lot of dumb things because of testosterone. Middle age guys do dumb things to regain their youth. And old guys like 93 and Dfoster just shake their heads and chew all of us out. Let him go through his progressions or just beat him now and straighten him out.
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:09:03 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 214
Applause Received: 437

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

Once he gets a bit older he'll realise that the team is more important then individual players.



If only some of the otherwise intelligent posters on this forum would come to that realization, we could actual talk X's and O's instead of fighting so much over our ex-player rights.

12 year old boys do a lot of dumb things because of energy. 18 - 25 year old men do a lot of dumb things because of testosterone. Middle age guys do dumb things to regain their youth. And old guys like 93 and Dfoster just shake their heads and chew all of us out. Let him go through his progressions or just beat him now and straighten him out.


Us old guys have a good heart, though. Take Barney the purple dinosaur, for example...

For the kids. :thumbleft:
























UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.



Offline Trippster  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:01:36 PM(UTC)
Trippster

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 10

God, you make me laugh Dfosterf!!
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Offline mi_keys  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:38:02 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 238
Applause Received: 370

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Told my little boy (12) yesterday that Brett Favre had signed with the Vikings. I knew he loved Favre, but I was startled at the emotion in his reaction. He really started cheering, whooping it up big time, and said he hoped they beat the Packers!

Needless to say, I was shocked. I've been a Packers fan since the early 60s, suffered through the 70s & 80s, then enjoyed the success during the Favre years. There's no way for even a moment that I'd contemplate saying "I hope Brett and the Vikings beat the Packers!"

When I asked, he said he was still a Packers fan. But then he went on a rant (which is EXTREMELY rare with this guy, so I know this is something that's been on his mind) about how the Packers shouldn't have traded him to another team last year, hadn't treated him right etc.

We had a discussion about if you could call yourself a fan if you were rooting for another team to beat them, and he said it was just for 2 games, he'd root for the Packers during all the rest of the games!

I hadn't thought about it, but until last year, the only quarterback he's ever known for the Packers was Brett. So I'm cutting him a little slack, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch the Packers-Vikings games if my boy is going to be next to me cheering the bad plays and booing the good plays.


It could be worse, my younger brother became a Bears fan to spite my dad.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline macbob  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:36:43 PM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 321
Applause Received: 267

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Let him go through his progressions or just beat him now and straighten him out.


Reminds me of an the old Mad Magazine approach to raising kids (or was it training pets?):

A little love, a little patience, and a lot of beatings... ;p
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error


Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

54m / Green Bay Packers Talk / mi_keys

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / gbpfan

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / luigis

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

22-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Tweeter