Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline beast  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:11:28 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 322

Favre totally went for FS Eugene Wilson knee in the pre-season game against the Texans on a cut block....

I honestly don't care who that is.... it could be Aaron Rodgers or Woodson ... or honestly I don't care...... if someone takes a shot at someone knee like that I want to see pay back...

I don't care if I'm on there team on not that was totally dirty and I wanted the other team to make a point that will not be allowed..... they should of taken a shot at Favre legal or not.....
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Greg C.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:20:16 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

It's called a "cheap shot," not a "cheat shot."

In all my years of watching football, I've never seen a QB make a dirty play until tonight. Favre is lucky the Texans didn't try to take him out of the game after that. And he's lucky the Vikings don't play the Texans again this season.
blank
Offline sfalim  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:38:55 AM(UTC)
sfalim

Applause Received: 3

I didn't watch the Vikings-Texans game so I don't know what happened, but from what I've read, Favre made a cheap shot at one of the Texans players?

That's comes as a bit of a surprise for me, because no matter how disappointed and saddened I am of the way Favre has carried himself since his departure from Green Bay, I would like to think there's still a semblence of "the guy we all fell in love with and rooted for" left in him. There's still a very small part of me that wants to believe that everything he's done is because of the right reason, that he just loves the game that much. So it's just a tragedy to see him carry himself like that nowadays, slowly but surely tarnishing everything that endeared people to him.
blank
Offline TheEngineer  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:45:21 AM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Yes it was cheap, but not exactly on purpose.

It was a crackback block while lined up out wide on a wildcat play on Eugene Wilson.
blank
Offline Formo  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:51:12 AM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yes it was cheap, but not exactly on purpose.

It was a crackback block while lined up out wide on a wildcat play on Eugene Wilson.

The way he tried to block was on purpose.. As far as trying to hurt the guy.. I doubt it was purposeful (BTW, the player 'hurt' got off the field on his own power).

I've see Favre throw low blocks like that a few times in the past. And every time, I hated it. First off, it is a 'cheap' block (going at someone's knees like that). Second off, he's always done plays like that as a Packer. Thus, I hated it.

The big issue here is.. How many green goggles will protest that play and demand Favre's head?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Cheesey  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:33:12 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 204
Applause Received: 439

Favre ALWAYS blocked like that.
I really don't think he does it on purpose, i think it's cause he was never trained how to properly block.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:39:56 AM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Favre ALWAYS blocked like that.
I really don't think he does it on purpose, i think it's cause he was never trained how to properly block.

Yup.

The only difference is with tonights block, the safety wasn't looking forward Favre's direction.. he was looking off to his left.

He's a QB. No way does he block for a living. No way does he know the rules of the crack-back block.

What's really funny is seeing people go up in arms about this, demanding Favre's head. Like they have any sort of experience playing NFL football..
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline tromadz  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:35:06 AM(UTC)
tromadz

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 34

I thought he broke that guy's legs at first glance.

All he did was throw his body at the guy. It happens. He's a blocking noob.
Offline WhatHappensNow  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:07:05 AM(UTC)
WhatHappensNow

Didn't surprise me.
blank
Offline xavierlee9  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:20:48 AM(UTC)
xavierlee9

Blame Childress. That stuff was straight up childish. Third quarter of a preseason game, and you have a 40 year old who you just put the entire franchise on for this year out there throwing blocks. WTF.
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:43:48 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 161
Applause Received: 264

2:27 - 3:08

Anyway, it was a cheap block. Obviously it was, since he got penalized for it. Maybe he shouldn't have done it, but like said before, that's the way he blocked here as well. I'm just going to asume that he's trying to do a cut block or something, but it never works out.
UserPostedImage
Offline Greg C.  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:52:24 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

What's really funny is seeing people go up in arms about this, demanding Favre's head. Like they have any sort of experience playing NFL football..

I'm not sure what you mean by "demanding Favre's head." I just said it was a cheap shot, which it obviously was. It was probably more a result of incompetence than bad intent (maybe it's not such a good idea for a guy to hop off his lawn mower and join an NFL team), but it was still cheap, and he could've ended that guy's season. Blocking low is one thing--that's what QB's do on those plays--but blocking low from the side when the guy's not looking is another thing.

At least the announcers recognized it for what it was, instead of the usual, "He's just having fun out there."
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:26:51 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,232

We've seen him do it a dozen times in our uniform when he was a good QB. No reason to suddenly switch ethics because he's washed up wearing purple and jump his booty for trying to be a team player. Cheap shot, yes, move on.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline LambeauEast  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:28:49 AM(UTC)
LambeauEast

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 20

Speaking of announcers...I was watching Total Access on NFL Network, and Marshall Faulk was praising Percy Harvin as the second coming of Christ. And he then proceeded to mention how these Queen receivers can get yards after the catch, which is something he never had in Green Bay! HUH?! WTF?! I know Faulk is a tool and all, but are you freakin' kidding me?!?!?!
UserPostedImage
Offline Rockmolder  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:40:56 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 161
Applause Received: 264

Speaking of announcers...I was watching Total Access on NFL Network, and Marshall Faulk was praising Percy Harvin as the second coming of Christ. And he then proceeded to mention how these Queen receivers can get yards after the catch, which is something he never had in Green Bay! HUH?! WTF?! I know Faulk is a tool and all, but are you freakin' kidding me?!?!?!

He said it a bit unclear, but I think he meant that he did have them in GB, but not in NY.

'Where Favre will fall in love with him at, in GB, something he didn't have with the Jets, run after the catch...'

At least, that's what I make from that sentence.

2:25
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:55:49 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Definite Cheap shot, on purpose or not, there is no excuse, and it is different from blocks he has thrown before. For us he was out front on an end around or something and he would cut the a player, which is perfectly legal. This was a complete blind side and went straight for the knees, and totally uncalled for. Favre has been in this league for 18 years, and this isn't some new rule. He should know.

I hope the NFL lays a big fine on him. Had it been reversed and been a defender close to his knees, there would surely be a fine. Time for a QB to get equal punishment for once.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Greg C.  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:05:14 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Definite Cheap shot, on purpose or not, there is no excuse, and it is different from blocks he has thrown before. For us he was out front on an end around or something and he would cut the a player, which is perfectly legal. This was a complete blind side and went straight for the knees, and totally uncalled for. Favre has been in this league for 18 years, and this isn't some new rule. He should know.

I hope the NFL lays a big fine on him. Had it been reversed and been a defender close to his knees, there would surely be a fine. Time for a QB to get equal punishment for once.

Well-said. He wouldn't have been penalized (and wouldn't have injured the guy) if it was the same kind of block he made in Green Bay.

Reading about it the day after, I think it was a case of him trying too hard to be one of the guys. Favre said that he was trying to protect his teammate, Percy Harvin, from injury. I thought that was a pretty creative way to justify an illegal block.
blank
Offline NiPickle  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:36:54 AM(UTC)
NiPickle

You have guys like Rodney Harrison, Warren Sapp, Hines Ward and Albert Haynesworth who pull these stunts on a regular basis (or who have pulled this stuff, before retirement!) and you are gonna complain about one time from Favre? Really?

Sure, it was a bad block. Unintentional, but not good. End of story, move on. Next topic please.
blank
Offline DakotaT  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:46:49 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

I've see Favre throw low blocks like that a few times in the past. And every time, I hated it. First off, it is a 'cheap' block (going at someone's knees like that). Second off, he's always done plays like that as a Packer. Thus, I hated it.

The big issue here is.. How many green goggles will protest that play and demand Favre's head?

But it's perfectly fine for Lasso boy to go at Schaub's knees last year, twice, and he did take him out? Just good hard play right?

Just so Favre gets the appropriate fine, I could care less about his waffling head.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:49:14 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

You have guys like Rodney Harrison, Warren Sapp, Hines Ward and Albert Haynesworth who pull these stunts on a regular basis (or who have pulled this stuff, before retirement!) and you are gonna complain about one time from Favre? Really?

Sure, it was a bad block. Unintentional, but not good. End of story, move on. Next topic please.

No different from Jared Allen knee shots on Shaub last year, and should be treated the same. Wonder what Brett would be saying if it was a DB that went at his knees.

Jared got 50K fine last year, Brett should get at least that.
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:00:22 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 204

2:27 - 3:08

Anyway, it was a cheap block. Obviously it was, since he got penalized for it. Maybe he shouldn't have done it, but like said before, that's the way he blocked here as well. I'm just going to asume that he's trying to do a cut block or something, but it never works out.

Rock i'm not sure but i belive that flag fell under the new Hines Ward rule, im going to search more to see. But i have seen tons of qbs do that in past years. I'm not saying its right but its been the norm for qbs for years to just throw their body at a player to block him.

I just watched the replay and it wasn't as bad as it seemed, he didn't go for the knees he actually hits the guy at the waist. Watch the replay in slo mo
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline dfosterf  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:08:17 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 431

But it's perfectly fine for Lasso boy to go at Schaub's knees last year, twice, and he did take him out? Just good hard play right?

Just so Favre gets the appropriate fine, I could care less about his waffling head.

Ya, friggin' Jared Allen is a "clean, aggressive, can't stop on a dime" non-cheap-shot-artist through purple goggles, and always will be. He's drinkin' again, btw. He all but admitted it during the off-season, and the queen fans are in utter denial about it.

To the subject at hand. I got in one of those smack arguments up at P.P.O. on the night that Barney signed. To my fellow "Puker" fans, you need to know that to the average "Queen" fan, nothing that occurred prior to the 70's counts in the NFL---

They SERIOUSLY argue that we are effectively "tied" with the Vikings since 1963 regarding NFL championships. I am stone cold serious.

So, we are having this little fight, and keep in mind that Favre has been a Viking for like 5 minutes while we are having this discussion...

One of them says, "Well, The Packers did win a SuperBowl during the 1996 season."

Another one comes back with agood one-liner... (I thought)

"Ya, but it took our quarterback to do it."

Now I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

So, in the spirit of that kind of sentiment as displayed at P.P.O.---

"Your quarterback fits in nicely with all the other dirty players on that team."

To the rest of you, I say.

Absence of malice--give the old guy a break--He went low, but hell--I would too if I was a 40 year old fart out there trying to hang with the young bucks...I'll even go one better---He didn't puss out, and I gotta respect that aspect.

Cheap shot? Yaaa Naaah Mayyybe

Intent to injure or even give a crack-back? I say no way.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:12:34 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rock i'm not sure but i belive that flag fell under the new Hines Ward rule, im going to search more to see. But i have seen tons of qbs do that in past years. I'm not saying its right but its been the norm for qbs for years to just throw their body at a player to block him.

I just watched the replay and it wasn't as bad as it seemed, he didn't go for the knees he actually hits the guy at the waist. Watch the replay in slo mo

The Hines Ward rule is about blinesiding a defender high leading with the head, shoulder or forearm. Crack back blocks have been illegal for years.

As said, if this was a shot on a QB, the player would have the fine before he stepped onto the sidelines after the play. The same should go for this. It was definately low and at the knees, and no excuse for it. And is the worst example of a crack back that I have ever seen.

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:36:28 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

Ya, friggin' Jared Allen is a "clean, aggressive, can't stop on a dime" non-cheap-shot-artist through purple goggles, and always will be. He's drinkin' again, btw. He all but admitted it during the off-season, and the queen fans are in utter denial about it.

To the subject at hand. I got in one of those smack arguments up at P.P.O. on the night that Barney signed. To my fellow "Puker" fans, you need to know that to the average "Queen" fan, nothing that occurred prior to the 70's counts in the NFL---

They SERIOUSLY argue that we are effectively "tied" with the Vikings since 1963 regarding NFL championships. I am stone cold serious.

So, we are having this little fight, and keep in mind that Favre has been a Viking for like 5 minutes while we are having this discussion...

One of them says, "Well, The Packers did win a SuperBowl during the 1996 season."

Another one comes back with agood one-liner... (I thought)

"Ya, but it took our quarterback to do it."

Now I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

So, in the spirit of that kind of sentiment as displayed at P.P.O.---

"Your quarterback fits in nicely with all the other dirty players on that team."

To the rest of you, I say.

Absence of malice--give the old guy a break--He went low, but hell--I would too if I was a 40 year old fart out there trying to hang with the young bucks...I'll even go one better---He didn't puss out, and I gotta respect that aspect.

Cheap shot? Yaaa Naaah Mayyybe

Intent to injure or even give a crack-back? I say no way.

What I get appalled with is posting on a Packer Forum as a Packer fan and told I have Green and Gold glasses or drink the Green Kool Aid. Guess what, no shit Sherlock, I'm going to take my teams point of view.

BTW, I find PPO very entertainining. Half those clowns don't even know who their left tackle is, but they bleed purple. I would never post there because I have enough personal contact with Viking fans living where I do.
UserPostedImage
Offline MassPackersFan  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:49:13 AM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

The guy is out of practice. Put people like that on the field and someone is going to get hurt - either him or other players.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed