Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jbshell04  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2009 12:54:56 AM(UTC)
jbshell04

Ok so let's pretend that The 08 Soap as I like to call it went a different way.

On August 1 2008 Brett Farve recinds his retirement and wishes to return to football. Mind you a 3 year 1st round back up Aaron Rodgers had received the keys to the franchise hot rod. He feels he earned them with his improved dedication to the game. He is ready. Managment had drafted 2 qb's to study under his tutelage. He is entering his final year of his rookie contract.
Brett however pressures Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy into letting him return to his old position of starting QB.
With only 2 weeks of training camp BF comes in and doesn't exactly lite it up. His understudy unburdened of any pressure blazes defenses in the preseason far exceeding BF in performance.
Unfazed BF's sense of entitlement quashes early sentiment in the front office of benching him in favor of the young gun.
Initially the season starts out great the team is 6-2 and early conversation is quietly talking of a superbowl run.
Defensive injuries mount and lackluster run game for the Old general to throw more and more.
In the ninth week BF's shouldr breaks down. While still able to throw with velocity they are often inaccurate. Interceptions mount as TD's falter.
The Packers limp into the miss the post season losing 5 of their last 8.
BF holds another Presser retiring stating his ability to perform at a level he is comfortable with is not in his reach.
The D under Bob Sanders which struggled to hold leads in games is retained. With a winning record Mike McCarthy has little justifacation to change course.
Durning the offseason Aaron Rodgers agent will not accept GB's offer of 60 million over six years. GB with no other option is forced to Franchise Aaron Rodgers for 15 mill per year.
Again with the keys Aaron Rodgers takes off ready for the 09 season. However Favre begins his flirting with a return. Surgery occurs in early July. In the middle of TC rumors become more of a solid lead. He may return he may not. 2 days before the first Preseason game BF returns to much fanfare. The last hurrah.
The front office staring at the possibility of nearly 30 million dollars in the QB position must make a decision to keep both leaves very little room on the cap.
Managment recieves an offer of a 1 2 and 5th round selection in the 2010 draft. Rather than release Favre and feel the wrath of every Packer fan they trade away Aaron Rodgers to the San. Fransico 49ers.
Prior to this Favre signs a 2 year contract.

Kinda wierd to think about it huh. Save a venerable and fickle former great. Or go into the long term with a future at the position.
No telling how the story would end and where it will go now.
Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed.
I am therefor I think.
Sponsor
Online dhazer  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2009 11:34:57 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 206

Not a bad write up here i enjoyed it but i have 1 and only 1 problem with it.

Quote:
On August 1 2008 Brett Farve recinds his retirement and wishes to return to football. Mind you a 3 year 1st round back up Aaron Rodgers had received the keys to the franchise hot rod. He feels he earned them with his improved dedication to the game. He is ready. Managment had drafted 2 qb's to study under his tutelage. He is entering his final year of his rookie contract.

Rodgers was not in his final year of his contract this year would have been his final year. Besides that i thought it was a good story. Looking back we did the right thing by moving forward but i think it could have been handled differently, more like we did in the past with legends. Like Reggie asked to be released and was granted that so he could find a team that he wanted to play for.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Rockmolder  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2009 12:22:57 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 165
Applause Received: 271

Quote:
Initially the season starts out great the team is 6-2 and early conversation is quietly talking of a superbowl run.
Defensive injuries mount and lackluster run game for the Old general to throw more and more.
In the ninth week Brett Favre's shouldr breaks down. While still able to throw with velocity they are often inaccurate. Interceptions mount as TD's falter.
The Packers limp into the miss the post season losing 5 of their last 8.

I doubt that this would've happened. I don't think that Favre would've been able to chuck enough TDs (and so little ints) that we would just outscore our opponents. Cullen Jenkins wouldn't have had a quicker recovery with Favre. KGB wouldn't have played like his old self.

I think that Favre would see that this was not yet a SB team and would've retired. Although, if he had seen the first two pre-season games, he might've come back. Lol.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2009 2:30:09 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,988
Applause Received: 2,283

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Like Reggie asked to be released and was granted that so he could find a team that he wanted to play for.

Reggie was retired for nearly a whole year when he asked for his release and he didn't want to 'stick it' to the Packers within the division. Completely, totally and extremely different scenarios so keep them separate, k pumpkin?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed