Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nonstopdrivel  
#21 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 11:29:35 AM(UTC)
Okay, so maybe "pussy" is too strong a word. So let's substitute "tentative" or "cautious." Either way the result is the same, and he should have known better and he deserves the loss.
johnny_blood  
#22 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 2:16:19 PM(UTC)
That was AMAZING.

It is funny, his first win in the Dome (as a Viking) is very similar to his first win at Lambeau. A come from behind desperation drive and a final TD in the end zone to a no-name, with no timeouts left.
MassPackersFan  
#23 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 3:21:54 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
The question isn't and never was whether Favre could play a game or the game, but whether or not he can play at this level over the course of 16 games and then some.

That's just something that is going to have to play out.

That's what I was thinking. This is the honeymoon phase. He had one with the Jets too. What I can't get over is how skinny he looks, especially in the arms.
Formo  
#24 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 4:52:12 PM(UTC)
Okay, so maybe "pussy" is too strong a word. So let's substitute "tentative" or "cautious." Either way the result is the same, and he should have known better and he deserves the loss.

He did go into prevent, which is the 'safe' route. I disagree with that statement, but, a lot of people agree.

But to call him out on no longer blitzing? Favre was picking apart their blitzing defense, and long before that last drive Singletary held up on the blitzing. Even the announcers mentioned that. And they were holding the Vikings pretty solid once they stopped blitzing so much.
Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 5:39:48 PM(UTC)
lol a Viking fan talking about how good Favre is ... just looks wrong/stupid (no offense)

It'll look even more stupid watching him pass through the Packers.
Formo  
#26 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 6:08:40 PM(UTC)
lol a Viking fan talking about how good Favre is ... just looks wrong/stupid (no offense)

It'll look even more stupid watching him pass through the Packers.

You joking, right? My God, Favre has picked our Vikings apart more times than we can think. No other QB in history has more wins against the Vikings, I presume. As much as we hated him, we knew he was good. You can't have one without the other.

Now we just have the avenue to talk about it without foaming at the mouth.
echizen20  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:36:09 PM(UTC)
Yeah that drive there at the end was just incredible and inspiring. Honestly I did not think he could of pulled that off since they had no timeouts left and i felt that they didn't have enough chemistry yet between favre and their receivers to march down the field like that. But seeing that drive made me realize that Favre still has it and he can still lead that team deep. I still think that there is still room for improvement for him and his receivers if they want to be considered as a threat for their passing game.
Nonstopdrivel  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:51:59 PM(UTC)
I frankly don't see what's so inspirational about that drive. The fact is, they needed a "miracle" because they didn't get the job done in the first three quarters; they let the 49ers hang around. If it weren't for a couple of catastrophic mistakes on the part of the 49ers -- three consecutive runs, dropping a potential INT, failing to push the receiver out on the final play -- the outcome would have been much different. If any one of those three plays goes the other way, the Vikings lose the game.

And before anyone says this is sour grapes because I don't like Favre, remember that I said the exact same thing after Rodgers' "miracle" drive in Week 1. Get the job done in the first three quarters and you don't need miracle drives to seal the deal in the last seconds.

If there's any inspiration to be gleaned from that drive, in my opinion it's for us. If the 49ers can play the Vikings that close, surely the Packers can. And I think, absent any egregious mistakes, they will. This team is improving week by week, though not as quickly nor as smoothly as some of us might like.
dhazer  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:27:52 AM(UTC)
Non you just have sour grapes :P

You say if one of those 3 plays don't happen he wouldn't have done it, but what about if AP actually runs the ball (which we can't stop) and if the 9ers don't block a fg at the end of the half and return it for a td he wouldn't have had to lead them to a late td. So ya alot of ifs, but those Ifs always go both ways in a game and it doesn't have to be at the end of the game for it to affect the outcome.

I watched them talk about the last pass and they were all saying how impressed they were with how accurate of a pass it was by leading the wr by 10 yards.
Formo  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:01:31 PM(UTC)

You say if one of those 3 plays don't happen he wouldn't have done it, but what about if AP actually runs the ball (which we can't stop) and if the 9ers don't block a fg at the end of the half and return it for a td he wouldn't have had to lead them to a late td. So ya alot of ifs, but those Ifs always go both ways in a game and it doesn't have to be at the end of the game for it to affect the outcome.

I watched them talk about the last pass and they were all saying how impressed they were with how accurate of a pass it was by leading the wr by 10 yards.

Non, you bring up a great point...

But Hazer got it right on the head.

Yeah, sure, it would have been more impressive for the Vikings to blow out the 9ers (who, by the way, is a good team) and yes, I would have liked that outcome. But, the point is, when it REALLY mattered, the Vikings offense stepped it up, on all aspects (WRs catching balls, OL protecting the QB long enough, Favre being accurate/efficient, etc). And you can't ask for anything more of an offense when put in that situation. Hense the label of 'inspirational'.
Zero2Cool  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:02:13 PM(UTC)
I frankly don't see what's so inspirational about that drive. The fact is, they needed a "miracle" because they didn't get the job done in the first three quarters; they let the 49ers hang around.

So, to recap this. A miracle was needed and a miracle was received? Favre the man of miracles. Unfortunately it appears no other NFL team wanted him and the Vikings did and ... sadly he's on their team now.
Pack93z  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:07:08 PM(UTC)
I frankly don't see what's so inspirational about that drive. The fact is, they needed a "miracle" because they didn't get the job done in the first three quarters; they let the 49ers hang around.

So, to recap this. A miracle was needed and a miracle was received? Favre the man of miracles. Unfortunately it appears no other NFL team wanted him and the Vikings did and ... sadly he's on their team now.

Further more, is it all Favre's issue that the Niners hung around? Could he help it if Berrian has hands of stone? No.

Fact is.. with the game on the line, Favre delivered.. as much as I don't want to give him his props.. one has to. Money throw.. and an even better grab.
dfosterf  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:20:15 PM(UTC)
For me, the throw that he made at the end was not the "scariest" for US.

US.

The one that has me nervous was a reasonably innocuous play in the big scheme of that football game relative to the media play that the last second throw got.

Favre got pressured. He rolled to his right, fast and hard. He threw across his body on a line to (I am 99% sure it was Bernard Berrian) streak right to left.

The defender had effectively quit on Berrian. There is no way Favre is throwing to him. No way.

Except he did. Dead square perfect pass...Hit him in perfect stride.

That play summed up a "good Brett" day for me.

Will not make any of the highlight reels, but it is the kind of thing that scares me most.

Leroy Butler talked in his homer analysis (I love him, but man, he's a homer) about DB's "not quitting" on their assignments against Brett.

He was talking about precisely what I was seeing.

I have to go review the wonderlic scores of our defensive backfield.
Formo  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:34:28 PM(UTC)
For me, the throw that he made at the end was not the "scariest" for US.

US.

The one that has me nervous was a reasonably innocuous play in the big scheme of that football game relative to the media play that the last second throw got.

Favre got pressured. He rolled to his right, fast and hard. He threw across his body on a line to (I am 99% sure it was Bernard Berrian) streak right to left.

The defender had effectively quit on Berrian. There is no way Favre is throwing to him. No way.

Except he did. Dead square perfect pass...Hit him in perfect stride.

That play summed up a "good Brett" day for me.

Will not make any of the highlight reels, but it is the kind of thing that scares me most.

Leroy Butler talked in his homer analysis (I love him, but man, he's a homer) about DB's "not quitting" on their assignments against Brett.

He was talking about precisely what I was seeing.

I have to go review the wonderlic scores of our defensive backfield.

I don't know about all that..

But your signature is distracting!!
Nonstopdrivel  
#35 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:23:53 AM(UTC)
I completely agree that the throw on the final play was amazing, and the fact that the receiver was able to bring both feet down inbounds even more so. But every time I watch the replay, all I can think is how dumb the defensive back was for not shoving the receiver out of bounds. If he'd just done that minuscule thing -- just a tap, really, is all it would have taken -- we'd be talking about him as the hero of that game and not Favre.
Zero2Cool  
#36 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:01:11 AM(UTC)
I completely agree that the throw on the final play was amazing, and the fact that the receiver was able to bring both feet down inbounds even more so. But every time I watch the replay, all I can think is how dumb the defensive back was for not shoving the receiver out of bounds. If he'd just done that minuscule thing -- just a tap, really, is all it would have taken -- we'd be talking about him as the hero of that game and not Favre.

If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle. What's the point in playing the if this but this game? It didn't go down that way, period.

Fact of the matter is a Gore'less 49er team pushed the Vikings to the edge and came close, but couldn't close out the deal. Superstars close out the deal, Favre did that. He deserves the credit. My opinion is the pocket presence, the catch and throw were in that order of greatness. Favre has a excellent pocket presence that you rarely see.
Gravedigga  
#37 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 12:20:27 AM(UTC)
After watching the replay a few times. I'm more impressed with Favre's pocket presence than the throw he made. To the naked eye, it wasn't much, but if you watch he has players all around him. Subtle step here, move there, side step here, step into pocket, bye bye 49ers. He's one incredible QB.

Gunslinger!!!! I'm happy to hear that term this week
Gravedigga  
#38 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 12:26:30 AM(UTC)

Whats that smell?? Man it's horrible. Oh, it's just Non's sour grapes :wickedfart:
zombieslayer  
#39 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 1:24:01 PM(UTC)
I frankly don't see what's so inspirational about that drive. The fact is, they needed a "miracle" because they didn't get the job done in the first three quarters; they let the 49ers hang around. If it weren't for a couple of catastrophic mistakes on the part of the 49ers -- three consecutive runs, dropping a potential INT, failing to push the receiver out on the final play -- the outcome would have been much different. If any one of those three plays goes the other way, the Vikings lose the game.

And before anyone says this is sour grapes because I don't like Favre, remember that I said the exact same thing after Rodgers' "miracle" drive in Week 1. Get the job done in the first three quarters and you don't need miracle drives to seal the deal in the last seconds.

If there's any inspiration to be gleaned from that drive, in my opinion it's for us. If the 49ers can play the Vikings that close, surely the Packers can. And I think, absent any egregious mistakes, they will. This team is improving week by week, though not as quickly nor as smoothly as some of us might like.

Nonstop - Don't underestimate the Niners. Big mistake.

I've always believed in the power of inspiration. Always. As Favre has the "it" factor, so does Mike Singletary.

Mike Singletary's got this mediocre team convinced they're a Playoff team and don't be surprised if WE face them in the Playoffs.

The Vikings didn't fail in the first 3 quarters, the Niners are just that good.

And like it or not, in the year 2009, that play by Brett Favre and Lewis was the hands down best play so far. Favre beat the rush, knew he was going to get hit. Lewis improvised the route, found a piece of the end zone that was unoccupied, and somehow held on to that ball while keep both feet in bounds.

I dare anyone to show me a better play in '09. As good? Sure. But better? I highly doubt it.
longtimefan  
#40 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 1:39:21 PM(UTC)
Zombi I dont think anyone can deny that was the best play so far in 09...But it was really a miracle play
Rss Feed