Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:15:06 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 612
Applause Received: 741
I don't really care what he does.
He waffles so much, John Kerry is jealous of him.

As he's not a Packer, in the end, i don't really care. When he was "one of us" i cared......probab;y TOO much.
Now, to me, it's just "Who will be quarterbacking the enemy next season?"
Offline Greg C.  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:47:41 AM(UTC)

Applause Received: 48
I love it how the author of this article makes the assumption that Brett's throw could've led to a long touchdown. Not a chance. At best, it would've been a short gain--about the same amount Brett would've gained if he wasn't afraid to tuck the ball and run with it.

This article by Joe Posnanski from Sports Illustrated sums it up perfectly, without the Brett-colored glasses:

http://sportsillustrated...5/brett.favre/index.html

The play that he's referring to in this article, by the way, happened in the playoffs against--guess who?--the Vikings. I remember it all too well. Vikings fans referred to it at the time as Favre's "anti-Elway moment." And I had to agree with them. Now he had his anti-Elway moment while playing for the Vikings.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:15:38 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 389
Applause Received: 263
What makes Favre not want to run is the same thing that has caused him to train himself to always have his momentum away from the line of scrimmage: he wants to preserve that consecutive starts streak at all costs.
Offline IronMan  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:49:57 PM(UTC)

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 134
Excellent article Greg. Thanks for posting it.

Quote:
the single dumbest pass anyone can remember

Tough to argue with that. Although the interception he threw in the 2004 Divisional playoff game against Philly, (2003 season) was equally as bad. He literally just threw it up for grabs.
Offline Greg C.  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:53:56 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 48
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Quote:

Tough to argue with that. Although the interception he threw in the 2004 Divisional playoff game against Philly, (2003 season) was equally as bad. He literally just threw it up for grabs.

There were other plays like this too. This is why I was glad Brett retired from the Packers when he did, and I would not have minded if he had retired a year or two earlier. I vaguely remember one play against the Bears in the early 2000's when he ran past the line of scrimmage and then either took a dive or tried an illegal pass or something in order to avoid taking a hit.

I think Nonstopdrivel is right that the consecutive game streak became more important to him than anything else. He's got a lot of physical courage to keep playing, there's no doubt about that. But I think his priorities got out of order toward the end.

I've come to hate consecutive game streaks in general. Cal Ripken for example. Later in his career when his production was declining he should've taken some days off to keep himself fresh. And I've always thought that Favre should've missed some games in 1999 and 2000 when he was playing with hand and wrist injuries. Those were two of his worst seasons. But he had rookie head coaches and they were not in a position to make him sit out a game even if they had wanted to. And of course we have direct proof that Chilly is not going to make him sit out either.
Offline Cheesey  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 4:19:08 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 612
Applause Received: 741
If it's 4th down, and you HAVE to make X number of yards, you do ANYTHING. Throw it up for grabs, whatever. But most of the "bonehead" throws BF has made was NOT that situation. The last one with the Queens sums it up pretty well.
RUN, get 5 or 6 yards, let Longwell try a 50-51 yard fieldgoal, you you either win if he makes it, or go into overtime. But at least you give your kicker a CHANCE to win it.
Offline zombieslayer  
#17 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 9:26:52 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
Like it or not, Brett is still the most exciting player in the NFL. I'm going to miss not seeing him play as both Brett lovers and Brett haters will too.

Right after the game, I thought he'd retire and won't play in '10. Now I have a feeling he's coming back in '10. Good. It will make '10 that much more exciting.
Offline Heatherthepackgirl  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:04:11 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 1

Quote:

I posted it. :)
Offline 4PackGirl  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:31:33 AM(UTC)

Applause Given2: 170
Applause Received: 125
I love it how the author of this article makes the assumption that Brett's throw could've led to a long touchdown. Not a chance. At best, it would've been a short gain--about the same amount Brett would've gained if he wasn't afraid to tuck the ball and run with it.

This article by Joe Posnanski from Sports Illustrated sums it up perfectly, without the Brett-colored glasses:

http://sportsillustrated...5/brett.favre/index.html

The play that he's referring to in this article, by the way, happened in the playoffs against--guess who?--the Vikings. I remember it all too well. Vikings fans referred to it at the time as Favre's "anti-Elway moment." And I had to agree with them. Now he had his anti-Elway moment while playing for the Vikings.

he was referring to this article, heather...if i'm not mistaken.
Offline RedSoxExcel  
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:49:39 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 3
What makes Favre not want to run is the same thing that has caused him to train himself to always have his momentum away from the line of scrimmage: he wants to preserve that consecutive starts streak at all costs.

Unreal. I guess it really is either you like em or you don't. Questioning his football moves because he wants to preserve his consectuive starts streak? Based on what?

Why would he have dove in for the loose ball after the Harvin fumble, immediately after the hit to his ankle? Why would he be the QB that is always throwing the block on the reverse? Why would people comment about how Favre held the ball till the last second in the Saints game and took too many hits (unlike Brees)? Why would he do things like this if his strategy in football revolves around playing it safe:

But of course all that requires some kind of objective view of Brett Favre.

Also you do realize that QBs can slide if they run and the defense cannot hit them if they do so?

Maybe just maybe, he didn't run because he takes STUPID risks with the ball when you shouldn't and it has nothing to do with being scared of getting hit.
Rss Feed