Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages«<23
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zombieslayer  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:11:02 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Yes, the rating system has not changed but the numbers being inputted into that rating system have changed significantly. In the other thread, someone pointed out that 13 of the 15 all time passer rating leaders are active players. Are the QBs today that much better than all of the other QBs in NFL history? I doubt it.

In 1996, Favre had 39 TDs, 13 INTs, 3900 yards and a 95.8 rating.

In 2009, Favre has a 107.2 rating. Even if everyone accepts that Favre was better in 2009 than 1996, is he really 11+ rating points better than he was in 1996??? He would be ranked the 10th best QB according to QB rating in 2009 with the 1996 numbers.

In 1997, in a league that had Marino, Young, Elway, Aikman, Favre, Moon, etc. Favre was 2nd in the league with 3,800 yards. In 2009, 1997 Favre would be 11th (just barely in front of Kyle Orten). Thats nuts.

There is clearly something going on with QBs ratings, yards, etc.

Exactly.

Several changes - OT is now one of the most important positions in the game, period. LT especially. That's huge when it comes to pass protection.

League rules favoring passing. Truth is, football sells well in America because it's NOT soccer. You don't have games that go 0-0 into OT and win with a penalty shot. That's exactly what the NFL is trying to prevent. So even in Favre's career, rules have made it easier to complete passes and harder for defenders to defend passes.

One of the major changes is that the NFL is making protecting QBs a high priority. Just note the number of games starting QBs play in '09 and compare it to the number of games starting QBs played in '92. HUGE difference.

Heck, NSD mentioned Joe Montana. Are today's QB's all tougher than Joe Montana? I doubt it. Better protected by better OLs and stricter rules on protecting QBs? Yup. If Montana had been born 20 years later, he would have played more games.

Favre's 94-97 campaigns were perhaps the best consecutive QB campaigns in NFL history. Ratings? Whatever. He threw TD passes that other QBs couldn't have thrown. '09 was amazing, but you can't convince me that he was better in '09 than he was in '95, '96, or '97.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline CDNRodgersfan  
#47 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:17:26 AM(UTC)
CDNRodgersfan

Applause Received: 1

Getting an 18 game schedule could alter records in the future too but not sure how many seasons Manning will ever see 18 games. I still think it's a few years away
Offline porky88  
#48 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:44:15 AM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 193
Applause Received: 398

Favre was better in the 90s. I'm with Red here. Last year, he was great, but he played within the system, which is why the INTs were down. He didn't create as many plays. Now, I'm not saying he never created plays last year, but in the 90s, he made things happen all the time.

I don't remember all these games, but I recall quite a few. I actually have a couple of tape/dvd of some of these performances. Favre's run from 94-98 was the best five season run a QB EVER had IMO.

http://www.pro-football-...xscores/199409250gnb.htm

http://www.pro-football-...xscores/199512160nor.htm

http://www.pro-football-...xscores/199510220gnb.htm

http://www.pro-football-...xscores/199511120gnb.htm

http://www.pro-football-...xscores/199609010tam.htm

http://www.pro-football-...xscores/199609090gnb.htm

http://www.pro-football-...xscores/199809270car.htm

Take a look at some of those games and see if it jump starts a memory. Some did for me and yeah, you can remember some ridiculous stuff. I'd also argue the 90s was the greatest decade of pro football. I think some of those teams would've killed some of the great teams today. Although, I do see this decade being pretty strong as well. There is a lot of great young players today in both the pro and college game.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#49 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:32:47 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,191

This prediction was made Feb 9, 2010. Which is before Peyton Manning lost a full season with a neck injury.

Source wrote:
A rough estimate of each major record passing from Favre to Manning would go something like this:

All-Time TD Leader: End of 2013 Season/Early 2014 Season

Passing Yards: Mid to Late 2014 Season

Completions: 2015 Season

Attempts: 2016 Season
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Pack93z on 10/23/2014(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#50 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:59:47 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,077

And I still don't care who holds the record..

But I will say this.. when Peyton hurt his neck.. I thought that was the end of it. Still can't believe anyone cleared him to play.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#51 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 12:23:34 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
And I still don't care who holds the record..

But I will say this.. when Peyton hurt his neck.. I thought that was the end of it. Still can't believe anyone cleared him to play.

agreed. Almost every record eventually gets broken by someone.

It would have bothered a little if Brett retired as a Packer but I have no emotional investment is his stats at this time. One of the reasons is he played so often when clearly he shouldn't have. His thumb injury being just one of those times.

Coming back from retirement only seemed to indicate Brett cared more for the records than he did for the team. Whatever that team may have been. I bet Brett thought they were safe from Peyton when he was injured.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
Rss Feed