Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
10 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline IronMan  
#76 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:27:31 PM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 85
Applause Received: 98

I don't blame the Vikings for begging Favre to come back, given their other options at QB.

That said, make no mistake about it, Favre has mental issues. I've never seen an athlete that needed as much coddling as he does.

I'm glad the Packers were in a situation in 2008, where they could tell Favre to get fucked. And even though Ted knew we had Rodgers to fall back on, he was still unproven. So to make that decision took balls; elephant size balls. You've gotta respect that.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#77 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:48:16 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I'm on record suggesting the Vikings, even with Favre, will have a tough go in the NFC North even with Favre.

Redundant sentence is redundant. ;)

I think this article echoes what a lot of us believe about this issue. Last year was a rare confluence of events that isn't likely to be duplicated. I think he should have hung up the cleats after last year. He took a team to the NFC Championship two out of the last three years. What more does he have to prove?
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#78 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:01:00 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 683
Applause Received: 716

Actually, the fact that they sent three instead of two or four is significant.

Here's what really happened:

Favre calls Allen:
Hey, dude, it's been too long since we've played golf. You gotta see this new course down here in Hattiesburg.
Allen: Shit, man, I"m in the midst of this training camp shit. Unlike you, you lucky bastard, I don't get to skip the shit.
Favre: Here's what we do. First you call be out a bit, say, tell those reporter schmucks that I need to report by such and such a day. Then a couple days later, you go to Zygi or Brad or whoever, and tell them that you've got a plan to get me back into camp.

Allen: They'll never go for it. They'll think I"m trying to get out of work and do one of my weird mullet-headed things (even though I don't have the mullet anymore).

Favre: Then you suggest that Hutch and Longwell come, too. Ain't an OL alive that doesn't want to rest during training camp. And kickers...well, you know Longwell's even crazier about golf than we are.

[Later]

Hutchinson: God damn it, Longwell. You beat us again. I still can't believe you made that shot on 16.
Allen: Maybe we can drag this out another day. Play another round first thing tomorrow morning before we fly back.
Favre: No. Won't work. We already scheduled the press conference for tomorrow. Get in ithe plane, Jared.

:)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline dhazer  
#79 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:23:02 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 203

I do wonder how many interceptions and fumbles he is allowed before he is benched. Teams aren't going to be giving him all day this season. He is going to be harried, hurried, hustled, and hit.

And then they hand the ball off to arguably the best back in the league and watch him run all day against us.

I predict you see AP come close to 1800 yards this year and another 700 receiving because the defense will be set to stop the pass.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline chibiabo  
#80 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:32:47 PM(UTC)
chibiabo

:physassult: Now once again boy QB does his six year old act and returns to MN. One has to wonder just how pleased the other QB's must be after suffering through OTA's and some pre-season camp to watch the dilletante return and prance about. Brett has long ago wasted whatever respect I ever had for him.
blank
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#81 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:37:21 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

And my response would be so what? The top 5 running backs last season were

* Chris Johnson (TEN, 8-8)

* Steven Jackson (STL, 5-11)

* Thomas Jones (NYJ, 9-11)

* Maurice Jones Drew (JAC, 7-9)

* Adrian Peterson (MIN, 12-4)

The average record for these teams was 8.2-7.8.

The Packers were 3-1 against the Vikings with Peterson before Favre came to town (including a 34-0 shutout in which Peterson only rushed for 45 yards). The Packers have proven they can beat the Vikings even when Peterson rushes for over 100 yards. I'd rather they shut down Favre and forced Peterson to beat them.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#82 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:38:17 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

We already have half a dozen threads on this topic.
UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#83 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:49:44 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

great points/post nonstop.

What concerns me is Capers. Too lazy to look this up but his record v. favre is infamous, and he certainly showed a propencity to sit back rather than force favre last year. I'm certainly hoping he was watching the saints game.
Offline Pack93z  
#84 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:49:54 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,078

One can't word it any better why and how desperate the Vikings were than a Viking beat reporter that looks at the reality of the situation..

Letting a Hall of Famer walk for another potential HOFer.. A season of being laughed at and teased by others.

Having your replacement develop into a legitimate QB for then next ten years... validation of the year of pain.

Watching the rival end up with the outcast QB and him publicly embarrass the franchise two straight years.. priceless. ;)

Now.. lets right the ship on the field and kick their collective asses. :thumbleft:

Quote:

[size=24]Excuse Vikings for their QB desperation[/size]

By Mark Craig / Star Tribune (Minneapolis) lacrossetribune.com | Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:28 am

MINNEAPOLIS - No player in the history of sports has ever extended his team further over a barrel than Brett Favre dangled the Vikings and their three Ambassadors to Hattiesburg on Tuesday morning.

It breaks the record set by Favre a year ago Wednesday when he finally showed up to save the Vikings. You know, the first time around.

If the Vikings came off looking desperate, clumsy and discombobulated, it doesn't really matter. The only thing that mattered was convincing Favre to keep playing ahead of Tarvaris Jackson. The groveling, the reported $7 million pay bump and Tuesday's Keystone Kops routine will be long forgotten by the time Faith Hill starts singing on Sept. 9.

Before Air Favre One finally arrived in Minnesota on Tuesday, the Vikings were a rudderless wild-card dark horse adrift in a sea of decent NFC teams. Once Air Favre One touched down, the Vikings became a perfectly seasoned team with a leader and no excuses not to make the Super Bowl for the first time since Favre was 7 years old.

It must be uncomfortable being made to look desperate, clumsy and discombobulated from March through mid-August. It must be painful to pass on a Donovan McNabb for a second-rounder and set your draft board according to the whims of a 40-year-old quarterback.

The only known antidote is Aaron Rodgers. And since there's no Aaron Rodgers west of Wausau, the Vikings swallowed their pride, publicly humiliated their backup quarterbacks and created one final carnival ride for the media on Tuesday.

Coach Brad Childress, the man who dispatched the Ambassadors to Hattiesburg, wasn't scheduled to speak. Rather than tweak the schedule, he sent special teams coordinator Brian Murphy and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell to their regularly scheduled news conferences.

Poor guys. The only things missing were blindfolds and a cigarette.

Ultimately, however, the only thing that will be remembered about Tuesday is the Vikings played their last card and Favre came back. So it was a good day for the Purple.

This is a team with nine starters in their 30s and one in his 40s. This is a team with several key players in the final year of their contracts, including four from the vaunted defensive front seven.

That's why the Vikings should be excused for coming off desperate, clumsy and discombobulated. Having left themselves with no Aaron Rodgers, they did what they had to do to salvage what could be the most important season in the franchise's 50-year history.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline TheEngineer  
#85 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:56:28 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Please get this crap outta the Packers forum.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#86 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:59:25 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,224

this is the FIFTH thread now ... c'mon people we're smarter than this.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#87 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:01:03 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

this is the FIFTH thread now ... c'mon people we're smarter than this.

One monster thread verse a 20 page monster.. can we please get back to kicking the crap out of that Harrell thread.. lol.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#88 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:02:58 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

BTW... you have three threads started on the topic since yesterday.. lol.. ;)

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#89 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:03:08 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

this is the FIFTH thread now ...

Oops, my estimate was off by 20%. But that's still within tolerance levels. ;)
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#90 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:06:46 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Catch the second one?

Indeed, and frankly, I couldn't agree with Thompson more. I can't imagine an employer in any other field lobbying an employee to stay with the same vigor that the Vikings have, and I appreciate that the Packers didn't stoop to that.
UserPostedImage
Offline RedSoxExcel  
#91 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:06:53 PM(UTC)
RedSoxExcel

Applause Received: 3

If he has to be begged into coming back (which seems it's what his ego needs) then he's just playing games with the (insert which team name he's jerking around at the moment) and should walk away with at least a LITTLE dignity.
If that's even possible at this point.

Wow, bitter much. Dignity? Seriously. "If he has to be begged into coming back". Do you know if Favre called up the Vikings and said come beg me or whatever. The Vikings are grown men, they chose to beg like little b's, how is that somehow speak to Favre's "dignity".
blank
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#92 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:08:25 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Wow, bitter much.

I can't wait till the snide little " . . . much?" fad dies out. It's bad enough when adolescent girls say it. It drives me nuts when grown men use it.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#93 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:10:01 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,224

If he has to be begged into coming back (which seems it's what his ego needs) then he's just playing games with the (insert which team name he's jerking around at the moment) and should walk away with at least a LITTLE dignity.
If that's even possible at this point.

Wow, bitter much. Dignity? Seriously. "If he has to be begged into coming back". Do you know if Favre called up the Vikings and said come beg me or whatever. The Vikings are grown men, they chose to beg like little b's, how is that somehow speak to Favre's "dignity".

So for me to be presumptuous enough to talk a grown man into making a life-changing decision that he's already made is wrong
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline RedSoxExcel  
#94 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:11:59 PM(UTC)
RedSoxExcel

I really think Packers fans think all this stuff is a lot bigger deal than it is. I know everyone "doesn't care about Favre anymore and they just like the entertainment factor" but we really need to stop being so bitter about it. It's so summer 2009.

He embarassed the Vikings, OMG! Run for the hills. Who cares, no one will care in 2 weeks. T-Jack sucks, I know its hard to accept but Favre is still one of the top 5 QBs in the league easily. At the end of the day, the Vikings just became better. Thats it, I would love to hear the argument that they didn't. They are a better team today than they were yesterday.

I would think as "true" Packers fans (whatever that means on here), you would be really p'd off today because the Packers will have a tougher road to win the North and not happy about the Vikings being embarassed or whatever.
blank
Offline MassPackersFan  
#95 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:12:10 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

I'm a little surprised that he was swaying towards retirement and they convinced him to come back... OVERNIGHT. Isn't that mainly a personal and family decision? What reason could they have provided to convince him to return, other than he felt he owed it to them or felt bad for them? Those are great motivating factors right there. /sarcasm
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#96 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:15:27 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Why be pissed off?

If you want to be the best.. you need to beat the best.. and absolutely the road just got harder officially.. but to me, it just adds to the season.

Hardly bitter.. yes it is entertaining how Brett brow beat the Vikes.. but if they are okay with it.. so be it.

Now.. why are you so bitter than some of us see entertainment in this all?

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#97 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:15:43 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

I would think as "true" Packers fans (whatever that means on here), you would be really p'd off today because the Packers will have a tougher road to win the North and not happy about the Vikings being embarassed or whatever.

Uh, no. I (and others) have said repeatedly that I'm tired of having a pushover division and I want to see it get more challenging. For years, the Packers padded their division trophy case with pansy rivals, only to get slaughtered in the playoffs. I want to see an exciting division again. I want to see races that go down to the wire. I want to be proud of the Packers for winning their division. I don't want it to be a matter of course. I certainly don't want it to be easy.
UserPostedImage
Offline RedSoxExcel  
#98 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:17:41 PM(UTC)
RedSoxExcel

Wow, bitter much.

I can't wait till the snide little " . . . much?" fad dies out. It's bad enough when adolescent girls say it. It drives me nuts when grown men use it.

I can't wait until till grown men stop acting like scorned lovers and stop taking every chance (whether rational or not) to attack a 40 year old man because he decided (or undecided) that he wants to play professional football.

It's bad enough watching a 15 year old girl be irrational because her boyfriend broke up with her. It drives me nuts when...
blank
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#99 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:24:31 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

I actually see very few people on this site acting like that. I certainly don't. I have no emotional attachment to him one way or the other. Brett Favre is a professional football player. He's selling a service. He can play for whomever is willing to pay for his services. To label him a "traitor" for selling himself out to the highest bidder is foolish.

I'm just happy that when he left, we had a quarterback waiting in the wings whom I trusted more and who lived up to that trust admirably.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#100 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:26:01 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

I can't wait for the freaking day when we can openly discuss Favre without lines being drawn and people haggling endlessly over it.

This is the only reason I hope the guy retires... to end this bullshit and replace it with some other polarizing issue to divide Packer nation.

We might have been a sorry ass team in the 70's and more than not in the 80's.. but at least we didn't become a fractured fan base. Since the Superbowl there seems always to be a polarizing yet fanbase splitting issue..

Time to replace the Favre one.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed