Zero2Cool
4 months ago
If you happen to watch some football games this weekend. Take note of the defenders. How many of them do you see you running to meet the ball carrier vs how many stand flat foot waiting for the ball carrier to come to them.

Make sure to stock up on alcohol and then take note of this same thing Packers vs Raiders.

When you watch defenses like 49ers or Steelers or most of the time the Jets ... they are attacking the ball carrier.

I think this is one of the main reasons we do not have a successful defense. We are passive tacklers rather than aggressive tacklers.
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
4 months ago

If you happen to watch some football games this weekend. Take note of the defenders. How many of them do you see you running to meet the ball carrier vs how many stand flat foot waiting for the ball carrier to come to them.

Make sure to stock up on alcohol and then take note of this same thing Packers vs Raiders.

When you watch defenses like 49ers or Steelers or most of the time the Jets ... they are attacking the ball carrier.

I think this is one of the main reasons we do not have a successful defense. We are passive tacklers rather than aggressive tacklers.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I've noticed this too - and it isn't new to our defense either. It mostly annoys me because it is taught at every level of tackle football. I haven't played at any level above HS ball, but I lived for the moments I got to blow someone up - why don't these guys? I have seen it with other teams, though the Packers more than others... of course that may be because I watch them on the regular?
beast
4 months ago
Absolutely seen it in DBs, but seems like an entire league issues almost, as I believe CB Douglas has said, they don't get paid to tackle (and Douglas at times has been one of the better DB tacklers).

Also you have the guys like Alexander, whom has been an extremely over aggressive tackler at times, whom the Packers didn't want in the slot, as they didn't want his small frame to get injured after losing him for a stretch, and not has a back injury.

If the guys want to maximize their money and careers (which is their goal at the end of the day) then take/give less hits makes sense.

How does one change that mindset? Also coaches want to keep their DBs healthy too.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 months ago

I've noticed this too - and it isn't new to our defense either. It mostly annoys me because it is taught at every level of tackle football. I haven't played at any level above HS ball, but I lived for the moments I got to blow someone up - why don't these guys? I have seen it with other teams, though the Packers more than others... of course that may be because I watch them on the regular?

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

You ever see the movie Major League where 3B Roger Dorn doesn't lay out to snag a grounder? I think it's the same thing for tackling in the NFL. Dorn didn't lay out because he didn't want to get hurt. I think part of it was his face was also used for advertising.

Yes, the passive tackling happens with other teams, not just the Packers. I have seen numerous players (mainly LB and S) go aggressive with tackling but CB's are pretty unanimously passive tacklers regardless of the team. You'll get a thumper here and there, but it's rare.

It's hard for a Zebra or Tiger or whatever animal to change it's stripes.

Here's how I would do it.

I would get the defense together and ask them to identify the top three defenses in the NFL. Then I would show cut ups of how those teams are tackling. When the players see most of the teams they mentioned in the clips, it should hit home a little bit. Then I play tackle cut ups of the current Packers defenders tackling in their passive nature.

To drive home the point, I would challenge them as men to be aggressive. If not for themselves, for the guy on their left, for the guy on the right and they'll respect the guy in the mirror the next morning.

Then I would get cut ups ready for every Wednesday morning meeting and call out each aggressive tackle in a manner that encourages the men watching to want to be in the next Wednesday cut up.

And if that starts to stale, I then put some money where my mouth is. I would start ponying up $100 for every aggressive tackle.

This is just off the cuff here and not much thought. The point here is it is a mindset and our minds can be changed with the right leadership. The players have to ask themselves, do you want to be great?
UserPostedImage
dhazer
4 months ago
I have to ask do any secondary guys actually tackle anymore? I was always taught to wrap up the runner, but I guess for guys in the secondary you just throw a shoulder and hop the guy trips over you. I brought this up a few weeks ago but I wonder how many yards after contact we give us as a whole, I am willing to bet we are top 5 for the most. I really don't remember the last time I saw a Packer defensive player light someone up but you seem to always see it once a game when you get the Steelers or Ravens defense play.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
4 months ago
Juxtaposing two threads.....tackling is not what it used to be.

When you look at many of the Butkus' tackles, today they would be called spearing or targeting. That is simply how tackling used to be taught. It is not longer taught that way for a couple of reasons:
- Leading with your head, especially if the tackler dips his head leads to increased concussions and neck and spine injuries.
- If you teach the 'old' ways of tackling, and you are a coach, you will get sued, lose your job, etc..

Further, most of the concussion studies of late would seem to indicate that the number of hits is equally important in leading to CTE as the big hits. As a consequence, coaches are discouraged from tackling drills in practice.

When teaching tackling techniques, this video https://www.seahawks.com/video/2016-seahawks-tackling  used to be prevalent. I would have to check with my son to see if it still is, but I would imagine it still is...or something close.

In regard to the passivity of CB tackling, I think it boils down to physics. Unless they commit to having a reasonably high rate of speed/acceleration in the attack, they are going to get run over. You are either the windshield or the bug and most CBs would rather try to punch the ball out, push someone out of bounds, or otherwise avoid a head-on (shoulder on) hit.

Butkus, Nitschke, and most other of the players from the glory days would be kicked out of the game and penalized if they used the old methods of tackling.

Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
4 months ago

I have to ask do any secondary guys actually tackle anymore?

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Or you could just read the post previous to yours. 🤦‍♂️

Yes, the passive tackling happens with other teams, not just the Packers. I have seen numerous players (mainly LB and S) go aggressive with tackling but CB's are pretty unanimously passive tacklers regardless of the team. You'll get a thumper here and there, but it's rare.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

UserPostedImage
4 months ago
Martha.I love everyone one of your topics......you need to be a consultant
4 months ago

Martha.I love everyone one of your topics......you need to be a consultant

Originally Posted by: packerfanoutwest 

Thank so much PFOW, I appreciate the enthusiasm and encouragement!!!

Although to give credit where it is due Zero2Cool started the thought provoking topic.

Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
4 months ago
Nixon with some aggressive tackles in first half.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4m) : I couched it like that to get a rise out of folks
dfosterf (25m) : We were 3rd best in the league.
Zero2Cool (10h) : I don't like hearing we almost AS good AS Vikings. ewwwww
Zero2Cool (10h) : yuck
dfosterf (10h) : Packers almost as good as the Vikings in the 2023 NFLPA survey of players with a C+ rating
Zero2Cool (11h) : They all land with Jets!!!! Buwahahaha
buckeyepackfan (14h) : The Packers and Preston have agreed to a restructured contract that creates $2.4 million in cap space in 2024, per Field Yates.
buckeyepackfan (16h) : So if The Bears release EQ, him MVS, Lazard and Cobb all free agents. Amazing how things work out.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Source: Chiefs release Marquez Valdes-Scantling, save $12M
Martha Careful (23h) : Amen Buckeye, A classy lady
buckeyepackfan (28-Feb) : R.I.P. Cherry Starr Thank you for everything you and Bart did!
dfosterf (27-Feb) : Andrew Brandt has a good article up at Sports Illustrated regarding the business conducted at the combine
Zero2Cool (26-Feb) : Packers restructured LB Rashan Gary's deal, clearing $4.781M.
Martha Careful (24-Feb) : ty, and ty dfosterf for the new thread.
Zero2Cool (24-Feb) : Which came off like he's not ready
Zero2Cool (24-Feb) : Last I recall hearing was from GM who said he was "in the process"
Martha Careful (24-Feb) : Are there any relatively current reports on whether Bakhtiari is going to be ready to play?
Zero2Cool (23-Feb) : That's a nice jump isn't it from 2023?
Zero2Cool (23-Feb) : Bahaha
Zero2Cool (23-Feb) : NFL announced today that the 2024 Salary Cap will be $255.4 million per club
buckeyepackfan (23-Feb) : 255.4mil!!!!
buckeyepackfan (23-Feb) : NFL anounces 2024 salary cap at 25.4mil, a 30mil increase from 2023.
Zero2Cool (23-Feb) : Chiefs sign Matt Araiza after punter dropped from lawsuit
buckeyepackfan (21-Feb) : Miracles can happen.
packerfanoutwest (20-Feb) : hope Aaron Hill can put an end to all these ridiculous hammie injuries
Zero2Cool (20-Feb) : ource says 2024 salary will be closer to $250 million than $243 million.
Zero2Cool (20-Feb) : Packers are hiring 49ers assistant strength coach Aaron Hill as their new head of strength and conditioning
Martha Careful (18-Feb) : No worries…Happy President's Day. I hope most of you have the day off.
dhazer (18-Feb) : Sorry Martha didn't see the story your on it already
beast (18-Feb) : I'm pretty sure those cap hits are going to hit no matter what, if the players are released, re-sign, whatever, the cap hits are earned
Martha Careful (18-Feb) : DH, 10.4 I agree. Z2C IIRC they could sign later, but lose ability to adjust void years/dead cap
Zero2Cool (18-Feb) : They could release before Monday. Then sign later, yea?
Zero2Cool (18-Feb) : Doesn't meant they won't be on Packers in 2024 does it?
dhazer (18-Feb) : @martha That's why said I guess we will know about Savage because if no extension we get a $5 million cap hit for him
Martha Careful (17-Feb) : Per Packers cap expert Ken Ingalls, Nixon, Savage, and Nijman have void provisions that will trigger on Feb. 19.
Zero2Cool (17-Feb) : I just looked at the contract overview. Not sure what Monday means
Zero2Cool (16-Feb) : How's that work? They can't sign him via free agency?
dhazer (16-Feb) : I am guessing we will know if they are bringing Savage back by Monday, if not extended his cap hit for void years is almost $6 million
Martha Careful (15-Feb) : Kudos to them for the quick hook.
Martha Careful (15-Feb) : Wilks looked clueless and frozen in the 4th Q and OT. I think Shanahan was telling him to dial up pressure and he was in capable.
Mucky Tundra (15-Feb) : *them
Mucky Tundra (15-Feb) : And it looks like San Fran missed out on all the good coordinators from the hiring cycle. I will now play the worlds smallest violin for the
Zero2Cool (15-Feb) : 49ers fire D-coordinator Steve Wilks after one season
packerfanoutwest (14-Feb) : So where were thet for the Championship games?
Martha Careful (13-Feb) : I think they were a reaction to prevent another incident like the Philly game earlier where an asst. coach got involved w/ an opp. playerg
packerfanoutwest (13-Feb) : what's up with the Ninja sideline officials?
umair_010 (12-Feb) : Watching mahomes roll on the floor after winning looked so fake and phoney. I can’t be the only one
Mucky Tundra (12-Feb) : The Chicago Bears are now on the clock
Mucky Tundra (12-Feb) : Blocked XP didnt help either
Mucky Tundra (12-Feb) : Taylor Swift starts to follow the Chiefs and watches a Super Bowl win her 1st year. Other fanbases watch enviously
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

18-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

15-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.