Martha Careful
5 months ago

Packers face important deadline on several free agents this week
By Freddie Boston | 9:00 AM CST

While the Green Bay Packers don't need to make any final decisions on their upcoming free agents yet, their actions in the coming days could reveal the futures of Keisean Nixon, Darnell Savage, and Yosh Nijman.

According to Packers cap expert Ken Ingalls, Nixon, Savage, and Nijman have void provisions that will trigger on February 19.

In other words, if the Packers don't work out long-term extensions with them before then, their contracts will void, and the remaining money on their deals will hit Green Bay's salary cap in 2024, regardless of where they sign.

Green Bay can avoid this by signing them to new contracts before the deadline. That would allow them to continue spreading out money across the length of the contract rather than it accelerating into this year's cap.

What happens if the Packers don't sign them before February 19 deadline?
The first question you might ask is why? If their contracts are up, why would the Packers pay anything?

Due to Green Bay's recent salary cap challenges, the team added void years to their contracts. That allowed them to create cap space in the short term but pushed money into future years. If they leave in free agency, all of that money will hit the Packers' salary cap immediately.

How much will the Packers pay? According to Over The Cap, here are the dead cap numbers for each player if a new deal isn't agreed by February 19:

Darnell Savage: $5.46 million
Yosh Nijman: $2.54 million
Keisean Nixon: $1.48 million
Total: $9.48 million

It all adds up. If the Packers don't work out long-term deals with these players before the deadline, they will pay $9.48 million on the 2024 salary cap, even if they sign elsewhere.

Can the Packers sign them after the deadline?
Yes. The Packers can re-sign Nixon, Savage, and Nijman after February 19, and they can't sign with other teams until the new league year in March. But it wouldn't make much sense for Green Bay to do it after the deadline.

It wouldn't change the numbers above. Green Bay would still have to pay those dead cap hits, but the new contracts would be added on top.

The Packers' decision before February 19 will likely give us a good indication of if they will be back. Last year, Adrian Amos, Dean Lowry, Jarran Reed, Randall Cobb, Marcedes Lewis, Mason Crosby, and Robert Tonyan all had contracts void in February. The Packers didn't re-sign any of them.

Per the fan shout discussion

My gut tells me that will try to do something with Savage and Nixon
Go Packers!!!!
buckeyepackfan
5 months ago
This is all part of cleaning up the mess The Packers got themselves into by trying to keep the team together for one more year in 2020, then again in 2021 and 2022, thinking they had a real chance at making it to another Super Bowl.

Just Didn't happen. Now they have to pay up.

The Packers eliminated a lot of the dead cap money last year, but there is just as much this year, it's just spread out over more players. The big hit this year will be Bach at 19 mil.

Some always got on Ted Thompson for not spending big in Free Agency.
The Packers were rarely , if ever, in cap hell when Ted was making the decisions.

Tough decisions to be made in the next few weeks, but it will give us fans an idea of the direction Gute is going in.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
dhazer
5 months ago
I see Jones getting maybe 2 year extension to help with his cap hit, I also see Clark and Jaire get extension or restructure. Bahk I hate to say is gone but I would love to offer him to the Jets for a 2nd or 3rd and hope they take it. Just offer him up to anyone instead of just flat releasing him as you know he will recover by miracle and show up in NY with Rodgers, maybe the Jets would help with his cap hit if we just sent him for cash considerations lol (if thats still a thing like baseball and basketball). I think we resign Owens and Savage at safety ( I want Owens because he brings Simone and it's a nice little story and he won't cost a ton) But Everyone saying we need all this defense help has me stunned when we can bring back some guys for cheap and continue with this top 10 defense, maybe the play caller calls something different so we aren't giving up chunk plays at the end of the game.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be šŸ™‚ (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 months ago
I think Packers dead cap is same if they trade or release Bakhtiari. However the June 1st thing might alter that. I don't think Feb 19th impacts him at all.

I'm guessing Nixon will return for 2024 regardless of what happens Feb 19th.

Savage I'd say depends on what the DC thinks he can do with him.

All in all. I don't think Feb 19th tells us anything at all regarding who won't be on 2024 roster. It feels like nothing more than accounting.
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
5 months ago

I think Packers dead cap is same if they trade or release Bakhtiari. However the June 1st thing might alter that. I don't think Feb 19th impacts him at all.

I'm guessing Nixon will return for 2024 regardless of what happens Feb 19th.

Savage I'd say depends on what the DC thinks he can do with him.

All in all. I don't think Feb 19th tells us anything at all regarding who won't be on 2024 roster. It feels like nothing more than accounting.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I largely agree, esp with Bakhtiari.

However, if they are going to keep Savage, I think we will know tomorrow. And if we want a safety who can cover and make plays, he fills the bill. Yes he needs to tackle better, but IMO he is more attuned to the 1 high schemes we will be deploying more often than we have.

Go Packers!!!!
buckeyepackfan
5 months ago
Well , the deadline has passed, The Packers took the hit and now it's just wait and see if Gute wants to resign any of these guys.
I didn't realize he has done this before.

Robert Tonyan a few years ago and also Devandre Campbell.

Bach is a completely different story.

Hopefully he and The medical staff have finally figured out the problem with the fluid building up in his knee.

Showing he is finally beyond that would make it much easier to trade him. Or extend him and keep him.

To be citinued...........
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : absolute banger of Olympic commentary
Mucky Tundra (1h) : @CCSewell ā€œVietnam, another country with very strong ties to Franceā€ might be my favourite bit of commentary so far
buckeyepackfan (6h) : Russ Ball is a genius when it comes to manipulating The Salary Cap hits on contracts!
buckeyepackfan (6h) : Not going to be as bad as some might think, this will look like a bargain in 2 years.
buckeyepackfan (6h) : 75mil signing bonus
buckeyepackfan (6h) : 77mil Signing Bonus, 155mil in new guarantees! Going to have to wait for the breakdown of the entire length of the contract .
Zero2Cool (8h) : Jordan Love and the Packers have agreed to a 4 year $220M contract
Martha Careful (11h) : Olympic opening ceremony is marginal at best
Zero2Cool (13h) : I was told that the hold up with Tua was the APY but they ironed it out and for Love, itā€™s been structure of the contract. -- Dianna Russini
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Tua and Love have the same agency, so things might be closer than we realize
Zero2Cool (13h) : Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa has agreed to a four-year contract extension worth $212.4 million, including $167 million in guarantees
Zero2Cool (13h) : Sounds like 4 year deal coming
Zero2Cool (13h) : Tua and Dolphins seem to have an extension in place.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @prettyrickey213 Today has been flippant šŸ¬. Now waiting for it to be cheesy šŸ§€
Zero2Cool (14h) : Jones, Ballentine and Jennings join practice off PUP
Zero2Cool (17h) : Yikes.
wpr (17h) : The injuries keep on coming. Lions K Michael Badgley tears hamstring, out for season.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Great, Jenkins is taking snaps at Center. Lovely. More OL mishaps
wpr (25-Jul) : Another one bites the dust. Rams CB Derion Kendrick feared to have torn ACL
Zero2Cool (25-Jul) : Vikings CB Mekhi Blackmon tore his ACL today, a source confirms.
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : You do know he's QB2, right? Pratt. Check the 53 cheat sheet
Mucky Tundra (24-Jul) : If Clifford keeps playing the way he has Pratt is gonna be flying by him on the depth chart
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Michael Pratt getting more first team reps than J.J. McCarthy
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Who made a prediction? I posted what it will be, not prediction mate! šŸ˜
dfosterf (24-Jul) : It is within.the realm of possibility that someone had Bowden on their depth chart prediction. I thought they did. Could be wrong
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Record Prediction?
dfosterf (24-Jul) : I think someone edited their prediction post after
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Jayden Reed cleared to practice
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Never heard of the dude before haha
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Bowden is trash, can't snap his way out of a wet paper bag!
beast (23-Jul) : I'm hoping they re-sign Bowden after Love signs and this is just a game to get a 3rd QB while Love isn't practicing
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : got older over *
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Glad to hear it! And Happy Birthday! My brothers had got over over weekend
Cheesey (23-Jul) : Hi Kevin! Yes, I'm still alive. Just turned 67 a few days ago.
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Alan has entered the building!!
dfosterf (23-Jul) : Cutting Bowden is odd. I do remember reading he needed to work on his velocity, but don't even know how fixable that is
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Packers signed a QB today
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Packers long snapper Peter Bowden has been released to sign Jacob Eason.
wpr (23-Jul) : I heard Reed tweeked his ankle and his youth camp.
beast (23-Jul) : I believe NJI is usually used for pre-NFL injuries (rookies) and vets that got injured doing something they weren't supposed to.
beast (23-Jul) : Might be interesting to hear how Reed got injured, as I believe NJI is non-football and teams don't have to pay you list.
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : Love won't practice until new deal is agreed. Ok, my stance changed
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : TRAIIIIINNNNNING CAMP!!! let's fookin go!!!
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : Jayden Reed placed on Non-Football Injury list
beast (21-Jul) : Yeah with the way the cap went up, don't be surprised if the new good QB gets more than $55 million per season
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : Kenny Clark. Extended!!
buckeyepackfan (21-Jul) : The "raw" number will probably be in that area. The numbers to look at are signing bonus. Guaranteed money, and Salary Cap Hit each year.
dfosterf (21-Jul) : Those numbers align with my guesstimate. Might find out tomorrow
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : Saw some rumor the Love contract is around 5 years $280m. There's no way.
Zero2Cool (19-Jul) : Packers sign wide receivers Rory Starkey and Jalen Wayne, waive Alex McGough.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jul / Fantasy Sports Talk / Mucky Tundra

23-Jul / Around The NFL / beast

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.