Martha Careful
4 months ago
Bill Huber wrote:

Packers Won’t Wait for Bakhtiari’s Knee to Heal
INDIANAPOLIS – The Green Bay Packers have a major financial decision looming with former All-Pro left tackle David Bakhtiari. Major but probably simple.

Bakhtiari is due a $20.2 million base salary in 2024. The Packers have no idea if the latest procedures done on his injured knee – the fourth and fifth since the initial injury was sustained on Dec. 31, 2020 – will have him ready to play in 2024 for at least a few more months. Meanwhile, the Packers only have two weeks to get their salary cap configured to build a roster for the upcoming season.

Taking those two realities into account, the Packers almost certainly will release Bakhtiari before the start of the league-year on March 13. That decision would create almost $20.94 million of cap space.

“We’re not there yet, but we’re getting there,” general manager Brian Gutekunst told a group of local reporters on Tuesday at the Scouting Combine. “This is that time of year where we’re looking at everything, and those decisions will come pretty soon.”

What has to get done to get “there” for a decision? From a health and recovery perspective, nothing is going to change over the next couple weeks. There will be no definitive “yes” or “no” on his status for 2024, let alone if he’ll be ready to embark on the next chapter of his Hall of Fame-caliber career.

In other words, what is Gutekunst waiting for?

“I think it’s just part of my training from Ted Thompson,” Gutekunst said. “It’s just, different things can happen in the world, so don’t make decisions before you have to. So, we’ll kind of get through. I think we have a few weeks here before free agency starts, another league-year starts, and we’ll get through that and go from there.”

Bakhtiari’s cap charge for 2024 – his final season under contract – is about $40.02 million. That’s high-profile quarterback territory. If released, Bakhtiari would count as $19.08 million of dead money on the cap, the lingering impact of the $30 million signing bonus that was part of the four-year, $92 million contract extension signed in November 2020 and previous cap-saving contract restructures.

Bakhtiari played in only game last season – Week 1 against Chicago – before shutting it down and opting for surgery to, hopefully, get past his issues once and for all. He’s played in only 13 games the past three seasons.

In his place last season, 2022 seventh-round pick Rasheed Walker filled in admirably for the final 18 games (including playoffs). At this way-too-early juncture of the offseason, he’d be the starter for 2024.

“I certainly think he’s already shown that he’s done a great job,” Gutekunst said. “I want competition at all five spots, but Rasheed, the improvement in the work that he put in, it’s exactly what we want, and expect him to continue to get better. But he had pretty good year last year, he’s got a ton upside. Great person. And I’m excited to see where he’ll go.”

Is this the entire story...if so, then it seems pretty cut and dried.

But I thought there was some aspect of this with a potential injury settlement which might screw up our cap space both this year and in subsequent years.

Confused....Martha.
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
4 months ago
Seems clear the knee isn't healed yet. Personally, it's been what three years of knee issues? I'm cutting him and wishing him the best. That knee isn't reliable enough. That's tough for the player, but Packers showed they can win and excel without him. Let him embark on that next avenue or retire.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
4 months ago

Bill Huber wrote:Is this the entire story...if so, then it seems pretty cut and dried.

But I thought there was some aspect of this with a potential injury settlement which might screw up our cap space both this year and in subsequent years.

Confused....Martha.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Some aspect of this:
Huber made no mention of the automatic 1.3 million Bak gets for being cut.
Huber makes no mention of Bak having 25 days to file an injury grievance.
IF filed, will automatically require the Packers to place 40% of the potential 20 million in cash escrow, along with 40% of the 20 mil of cap space. The 1.3 and 8 mil bringing this years cash and cap hit to right around 28 mil. for a cap "savings" of 12 mil, not 20.
The grievance will be arbitrated between the NFLPA and the league, so good luck with getting any kind of reduced settlement. You know, the same NFLPA that is currently defending against the league in a grievance from them for telling the running backs to fake injuries in order to increase leverage in order to get paid.
Either Gute or Huber have not read the CBA, which I know Gute damn well has, and Huber is in question here, or some sort of understanding has been reached that the parties are not divulging. If you want to get real technical, the NFLPA can invoke a clause seeking even more than the 20 mil, citing acting in bad faith. A (cap) path to Packer perditon, in venacular you might use. So, to all of you seeking a simple solution by cutting this man now, (including me with the caveat that this has been thought through)

Be careful what you wish for, you just might.....

Article 45, collective bargaining agreement, exponentially too long to quote here, but available online.

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : absolute banger of Olympic commentary
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @CCSewell “Vietnam, another country with very strong ties to France” might be my favourite bit of commentary so far
buckeyepackfan (8h) : Russ Ball is a genius when it comes to manipulating The Salary Cap hits on contracts!
buckeyepackfan (8h) : Not going to be as bad as some might think, this will look like a bargain in 2 years.
buckeyepackfan (8h) : 75mil signing bonus
buckeyepackfan (8h) : 77mil Signing Bonus, 155mil in new guarantees! Going to have to wait for the breakdown of the entire length of the contract .
Zero2Cool (10h) : Jordan Love and the Packers have agreed to a 4 year $220M contract
Martha Careful (13h) : Olympic opening ceremony is marginal at best
Zero2Cool (15h) : I was told that the hold up with Tua was the APY but they ironed it out and for Love, it’s been structure of the contract. -- Dianna Russini
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Tua and Love have the same agency, so things might be closer than we realize
Zero2Cool (15h) : Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa has agreed to a four-year contract extension worth $212.4 million, including $167 million in guarantees
Zero2Cool (15h) : Sounds like 4 year deal coming
Zero2Cool (15h) : Tua and Dolphins seem to have an extension in place.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @prettyrickey213 Today has been flippant 🐬. Now waiting for it to be cheesy 🧀
Zero2Cool (16h) : Jones, Ballentine and Jennings join practice off PUP
Zero2Cool (18h) : Yikes.
wpr (18h) : The injuries keep on coming. Lions K Michael Badgley tears hamstring, out for season.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Great, Jenkins is taking snaps at Center. Lovely. More OL mishaps
wpr (25-Jul) : Another one bites the dust. Rams CB Derion Kendrick feared to have torn ACL
Zero2Cool (25-Jul) : Vikings CB Mekhi Blackmon tore his ACL today, a source confirms.
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : You do know he's QB2, right? Pratt. Check the 53 cheat sheet
Mucky Tundra (24-Jul) : If Clifford keeps playing the way he has Pratt is gonna be flying by him on the depth chart
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Michael Pratt getting more first team reps than J.J. McCarthy
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Who made a prediction? I posted what it will be, not prediction mate! 😁
dfosterf (24-Jul) : It is within.the realm of possibility that someone had Bowden on their depth chart prediction. I thought they did. Could be wrong
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Record Prediction?
dfosterf (24-Jul) : I think someone edited their prediction post after
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Jayden Reed cleared to practice
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Never heard of the dude before haha
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Bowden is trash, can't snap his way out of a wet paper bag!
beast (23-Jul) : I'm hoping they re-sign Bowden after Love signs and this is just a game to get a 3rd QB while Love isn't practicing
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : got older over *
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Glad to hear it! And Happy Birthday! My brothers had got over over weekend
Cheesey (23-Jul) : Hi Kevin! Yes, I'm still alive. Just turned 67 a few days ago.
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Alan has entered the building!!
dfosterf (23-Jul) : Cutting Bowden is odd. I do remember reading he needed to work on his velocity, but don't even know how fixable that is
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Packers signed a QB today
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Packers long snapper Peter Bowden has been released to sign Jacob Eason.
wpr (23-Jul) : I heard Reed tweeked his ankle and his youth camp.
beast (23-Jul) : I believe NJI is usually used for pre-NFL injuries (rookies) and vets that got injured doing something they weren't supposed to.
beast (23-Jul) : Might be interesting to hear how Reed got injured, as I believe NJI is non-football and teams don't have to pay you list.
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : Love won't practice until new deal is agreed. Ok, my stance changed
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : TRAIIIIINNNNNING CAMP!!! let's fookin go!!!
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : Jayden Reed placed on Non-Football Injury list
beast (21-Jul) : Yeah with the way the cap went up, don't be surprised if the new good QB gets more than $55 million per season
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : Kenny Clark. Extended!!
buckeyepackfan (21-Jul) : The "raw" number will probably be in that area. The numbers to look at are signing bonus. Guaranteed money, and Salary Cap Hit each year.
dfosterf (21-Jul) : Those numbers align with my guesstimate. Might find out tomorrow
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : Saw some rumor the Love contract is around 5 years $280m. There's no way.
Zero2Cool (19-Jul) : Packers sign wide receivers Rory Starkey and Jalen Wayne, waive Alex McGough.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jul / Fantasy Sports Talk / Mucky Tundra

23-Jul / Around The NFL / beast

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.