Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Oren Burks | Linebacker | Vanderbilt | 6'3" - 233 lbs.

Overview
In any other decade, Burks' lack of familiarity for any position for more than a year would force him into the "tweener" stack and he would be on his way. In today's game filled with hybrid players and sub-packages, Burks' background could make him more valuable. He needs to play with more consistency in diagnosing and tackling, but his athleticism, cover talent, and ability on special teams make him a developmental prospect with decent upside.

Strengths
[list]
  • Well-proportioned between upper and lower body
  • Has broad back and long arms
  • Leader on and off the field
  • Has experience at three different positions over the last three seasons
  • Fits as 4-3 WILL or 3-4 inside linebacker
  • Former safety with athletic ability to handle coverage duties at linebacker
  • Range and pursuit speed is above average
  • Possesses good lateral twitch
  • Has reactive athleticism to spring into adjacent gap as tackler
  • Plays with good toughness
  • Willing to take on pulling guards with good force
  • Continued to improve as season progressed
  • Has talent to become a core special-teamer[/list]

• Weaknesses
    [list]
  • Will make mistakes in diagnosing that pull him out of position
  • Still learning the position, but instincts may be average for a role as inside linebacker
  • Below average punching and playing off blockers
  • Gets engulfed and will need to become more capable in slipping or playing around blocks
  • Gets neutralized in the hole
  • Has to become more effective at imposing his will despite physical challenges
  • Consistency as a tackler is a concern
  • Doesn't flow with leverage and will overshoot the ball carrier
  • Needs to tackle with better positioning to finish what he starts[/list]

• 4.59 in 40 Yard Dash

UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    6 years ago

UserPostedImage
    Bigbyfan
    6 years ago
    Glad the Packers are taking athletes. In this spot, Ted would've taken "a football guy" like Jake Ryan.
    blank
    isocleas2
    6 years ago
    Sounds like a coverage backer similar to Jones, should eventually find a role on passing downs. Not sure how much of an edge rush he can provide.
    TheKanataThrilla
    6 years ago
    Don't mind the pick, just don't know why we traded up for him. Wondering if we were targeting Arden Key and got hooped.
    Bigbyfan
    6 years ago
    They most likely wanted Key. That's why the Raiders jumped up two spots to grab him.
    blank
    Mucky Tundra
    6 years ago
    So, do we finally have some speed and athleticism over the middle with this guy?
    “Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
    UserPostedImage
    "I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
    sschind
    6 years ago

They most likely wanted Key. That's why the Raiders jumped up two spots to grab him.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Its possible Key was the target but I'm not sure for a couple of reasons. First of all it seems to me that you trade up to take the guy you want not trade up just to move up and see who is still there. Unless the Raiders expected the Panthers to grab Key they would have no reason to feel the need to move up two spots. I suppose they could have just felt it was time to make the move just in case the Panthers wanted him or the value was too great that they feared another team would do exactly what we did.

Second, was our trade up with the Panthers announced before the Rams and Raiders made their swap and if so why. Why would we trade up and then make it known before we were on the clock giving the Raiders or any team now behind us time to swing the deal with the team just ahead of us if they figured we were after their guy. Knowledge beforehand or at least a strong suspicion is the only thing that makes sense to me for the Raiders to feel the need to move up when they did.

If in fact we were after Key can you make a trade contingent on our guy being there. Could we have told the Panthers We will make the trade as long as no one before us take Arden Key. If he is off the board the trade is voided. I suspect that would be perfectly legal.

I suppose Key could have been our target and Gute figure the Panthers pick was high enough to get him but why wouldn't he take steps to avoid just what you said most likely happened. I do think Key would have been the better pick there but I have know idea what Gute was thinking. I think Burks was the target all along. It's not like it was completely out of left field as some "experts" did have him as a third round talent even if most of us didn't.

If he was indeed the target then I am totally fine with the move. He likely would have been our day 3 first pick and while most will say he would have been there anyway so we wasted the 5th round pick so Gute essentially gave away a 5th rounder to make sure he got the guy he most wanted. I have no problem with that sort of move by a GM.

I suppose now you will give me a link to comments by Gute (or someone with inside information rather than just speculation) contradicting all I just said and in that case never mind.
    gbguy20
    6 years ago
    Key was a 13th percentile athlete, he was not the target
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    6 years ago
    This should keep CM3 from whining abut not wanting to play MLB. I wonder if they will have him drop back into a quasi safety role from time to time.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (20m) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
    beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
    Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
    CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
    buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
    Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
    beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
    Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
    beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
    beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
    beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
    beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
    Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
    Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
    Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
    TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
    Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
    dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
    dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
    Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.