doddpower
14 years ago

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100304/PKR01/100304145/1058/Big-push-to-hold-onto-LT-Chad-Clifton

I understand the need for a LT, but just because Clifton is the best FA LT doesn't mean Green Bay should go and WAY overspend to keep him, especially with his injury history. Take that money and target a younger RFA instead.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

OK Clifton started what? 12 games last year.

Injury History? Last time I looked he started 138 out of 143 games for the Packers over a ten year career. Ten Years of commitment to the Green and Gold has to count for something.

How does a team over pay for that type of long term commitment. I would consider it a bonus, and have the confidence that he can get the job done and pay him for it.

If the Packers were willing to give 20 Million Dollars for a self centered soon to be traitor for a long term marketing deal when he retired for the second time... They can surley have confidence in a solid vet and pay Clifton so he can retire a Packer with a well earned ring.

I think Clifton's injuries are not going to continue on in 2010

"RaiderPride" wrote:

I think that they will.

It's these last few years that matter. Not his entire career. He's been pretty durable in his career, but after getting hit by Sapp, not even knowing if he could walk again, his legs and knees have been failing him.

I don't think that we're going to get a whole lot more than 10 games a season out of him. Maybe he'll line up in 13 games, but he'll miss enough time outside of those.

Now I'd love to have him back, but I'm not too dissapointed if he isn't. He's one of our best O-linemen on the roster, but he's not worth the $7 million. Next to that, this'll force our FO to get a replacement. They can't go with a 6th rounder now. They'll have to find someone who can protect Rodgers.

Maybe this is a positive in the long run.

"RainX" wrote:

I agree it could be more positive in the long run, because some kind of answer must be found immediately. However, it just makes me wonder about the short term. Will a rookie be effective this year? Perhaps in a year or two but what about in the mean time? See what I mean. Getting our long term answer might not solve our short term answer.

Let's just hope it does!
Pack93z
14 years ago
I said it earlier and I will repeat it now.. we have Lang whom in my opinion can handle the spot talent wise for the interim... maybe even long term.

The kid has the footwork, leverage and hand skills to do alright there IMO if they let him focus on it...

Draft your prototypical left tackle type and let them compete for the spot.. I don't see this as a cause for extreme panic.. but they will have to address the right side.. and that would be Tauscher for a 2 year deal.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
"Ted, before we begin this discussion in earnest, I was just wondering if you would be so kind as to drop your trou, bend over, and let us get a real good look at the strength of your position in these negotiations."

"Yes, sir."

:tongue3:
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I think the Packers are better without Clifton, in that they can't rely upon him as a crutch but must come up with some innovative strategies.

As for those saying we should fork over the mega-bucks for loyalty reasons, may I point out that if we don't meet his demands, he'll simply take his services elsewhere -- as well he should. These men on both sides of the negotiation table are businessmen, not amateurs, and they all know that. It's not about loyalty, it's about business. As well it should be.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago
I'm to the point of saying let Clifton go, but it is tough because at the moment the Packers don't really have an answer at left tackle other than him. But can he be marked as THE answer with the current string of injuries?

If the Redskins are really offering him that money, I wouldn't be surprised if the papers are already signed. Matching that can be just as much as a negative though as letting him go. At the moment, the Packers really don't know what they can get out of him if they keep him.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
One of the other factors in this...before we close the book on Cliffy in GB is that fact that Clifton loves GB.. he is a low key type of guy.. so the more I think about it.. it is going to have to be a considerably better deal in Washington for him to ink there.

If they want to write the check and Chad is thinking security over the quite life.. then so be it.

5 Million to stay in isn't chump change though.. we I believe where fair in that offer.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
doddpower
14 years ago

One of the other factors in this...before we close the book on Cliffy in GB is that fact that Clifton loves GB.. he is a low key type of guy.. so the more I think about it.. it is going to have to be a considerably better deal in Washington for him to ink there.

If they want to write the check and Chad is thinking security over the quite life.. then so be it.

5 Million to stay in isn't chump change though.. we I believe where fair in that offer.

"pack93z" wrote:

I would say that's being more then fair, especially for a 3 year deal. I imagined more of a two year offer with about 3-5 million a year.
beast
14 years ago

I said it earlier and I will repeat it now.. we have Lang whom in my opinion can handle the spot talent wise for the interim... maybe even long term.

The kid has the footwork, leverage and hand skills to do alright there IMO if they let him focus on it...

Draft your prototypical left tackle type and let them compete for the spot.. I don't see this as a cause for extreme panic.. but they will have to address the right side.. and that would be Tauscher for a 2 year deal.

"pack93z" wrote:

That's what I've been saying... keep him at LT and resign Tausher. If they ever get a better LT then move Lang to LG or RT.
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago
At the age of 33 I think 'quality of life' is less of a factor. He probably knows he's only got 2-3 years left and this is his last pay day.

If he loves Green Bay so much he can move back there in 3 years and stay for the rest of his life after he's taken $20+ million off Dan Synder.

He's not choosing where he's going to be living for the next decade here, it's a short term gig and then he's done.

The only thing stopping him may be the fact Green Bay provide a better shot at a SB ring.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
When the Redskins cut ten players yesterday, it reminded me of the tsunami pre-cursor where the water heads out to sea before coming rushing back to inundate the shore, except this tsunami is made of money. Peppers going to Chicago first probably has Boy Wonder throwing a temper tantrum.

I figured Cliffy at over 7.5 mil. a year. It will be interesting to me to see what the number is.

I said this will be the year of the overpaid lineman. I have no problem with Ted not going to that level with Cliffy. The only thing he is good for is keeping Rodgers healthy, relative to the other options as I see them presently. All those holds and false starts were aggravating, but I felt like this was an experienced left tackle making every effort to protect his QB's blind-side when he had lost the physical tools to do it without gaining an edge in those match-ups. Call it the "cagey veteran" factor.

That is a very expensive way to go about the business of left tackle in a football game, and I did NOT want Cliffy as a starter on this team next year. I wanted him as that very expensive-game-wise insurance, coupled with his mentoring duties.

Redskins need a right tackle and some guards too. So does Buffalo.

I really hope (semi-tongue-in-cheek-entertain-my fellow-posters-with-the-doom-and-gloom-hand-wringing notwithstanding) that we are somehow able to keep Lang at RT and/or in the mix at LG and get some real shots at a quality LT. I will go into some detail at a later time about the pluses and minuses regarding how Aaron operates/progresses, but at this time I just want to say I am not quite as freaked out about this as I may appear.

Cliffy was insurance, to me.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (21h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
45m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.