Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Quarless: An interesting TE for Packers 
April, 24, 2010

By Kevin Seifert

There is quite an interesting story behind Penn State tight end Andrew Quarless, whom Green Bay selected with the first of its two fifth-round picks Saturday.

Anyone who watched Big 10 football last year knows Quarless was a scary tight end who weighs 255 pounds but gets downfield like a wide receiver. You might also know that Quarless had so many off-field issues that he had to talk Penn State coach Joe Paterno out of kicking him off the team.

First, here is the off-field history from Scouts Inc.:

2007: Cited for underage drinking two weeks before the start of the season. Penn State suspends him for the first two games of the season. 2008: Gets cited for two counts of DUI, a traffic violation and underage drinking for an incident that occurred at 3 a.m. on March 2. Penn State suspends him from the team until the conclusion of spring practice. Sentenced to 15 month rehabilitation program. Police find a small amount of marijuana in apartment he shares with A.J. Wallace, Abe Koroma and Maurice Evans. He is suspended for the season opener (Coastal Carolina.) Though he does not play, he is reinstated the following week (Oregon State) when information indicates he is not connected to the marijuana. 2009: Head coach Joe Paterno says Quarless has been a leader this year.

Quarless told Wisconsin reporters that he hasn't had a drink since the 2008 DUI arrest. He convinced Paterno that he would change his life. He also said he proved in a drug test that he had not used the marijuana found in his apartment.

Put down Quarless squarely in the risk-reward category. He could be the next Jermichael Finley, or we might never see him on the field.

UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
14 years ago
I love the idea that college kids who drink and smoke pot are all of the sudden "character problems." I have no idea whether or not this kid will be a good player or not, but the fact that he liked to party a little in college has no absolutely no bearing on his future success.

For whatever reason, people seem to hold college athletes to a higher standard than other college kids. I know some seriously smart and well adjusted people who drank, smoked weed and did cocaine all through college (and still do from time to time). These people are your bankers, pilots, teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Yet we're supposed to concern ourselves because a Tight End may like to get high from time to time?

Again, I don't know if Quarless is going to be a good player or not, but his "character issues" from college aren't even remotely a problem in my mind.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I thought college years were the time of experimenting? Now experimenting means you have character flaws?

The DUI no excuse for that though.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago
This pick is amazing. If we can teach this kid to block even a little bit we could line up in a 2 TE formation (Quarless, Finley) with a single back (Grant/Starks) and 2 WR (Jennings, Driver) and audible to a shotgun spread. That would create serious match-up problems. Imagine it on the goal line.
Packers_Finland
14 years ago

For whatever reason, people seem to hold college athletes to a higher standard than other college kids. I know some seriously smart and well adjusted people who drank, smoked weed and did cocaine all through college (and still do from time to time). These people are your bankers, pilots, teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Yet we're supposed to concern ourselves because a Tight End may like to get high from time to time?

"HoustonMatt" wrote:

I don't care about drug usage with these prospects at all. But DUI is just retarded.
This is a placeholder
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Well, as he proved with a drug test, he never used the Marijuana.
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
14 years ago
Recall, if you will, the fits that Chewey and Keith Jackson created for DCs back in the mid-late 1990s. Now, envision that with two much better athletes. If the kid has his life on track...and it sounds as if he does....the Finley/Quarless combo could be lethal. And, the kid could also be the next in line if Finley gets all headcase on the next contract. While it left me scratching my head initially, it looks like a nice pick to me after some further thought.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
14 years ago
Providing Rodgers with even more talented weapons like this is almost unfair.
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
14 years ago
Dear Lord...Rodgers is a rock star, isn't he?? Ted Thompson learned from Ron Wolf's greatest regret....not providing #4 with all the weapons he could have, and should have.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
14 years ago
New youtube video up:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

7h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.