Rockmolder
14 years ago
Payton got New Orleans but dreamed of Green Bay  

by Bob Wolfley

After three seasons as an assistant with the Dallas Cowboys, Sean Payton thought he was ready to become a head coach in the National Football League.

Early in 2006, several NFL head coaching jobs were available, but the one Payton wanted was the one in Green Bay.

Payton was more than a little disappointed when Packers general manager Ted Thompson called him to deliver the news he did not get the job.

Payton recalled that episode in a book titled "Home Team: Coaching the Saints and New Orleans Back to Life" to be released in June. A proof of the book, which Payton wrote with Ellis Henican, was made available by the publisher.

"I'd flown up to Green Bay and had a terrific interview with the Packers," Payton wrote. "That's a great organization - a team I had followed since I was a kid. I felt optimistic about that possibility and was expecting to hear something soon."

Payton is from Naperville, Ill., and his wife, Beth, is from Morocco, Ind. Both thought the Green Bay job would be a good fit.

"I really thought there was a good chance I was getting the Packers' job," Payton wrote. "Without a doubt, Green Bay is where I wanted to go. Knowing the tradition. Coming from the Midwest. Growing up around all that. And Beth too - I knew she could see herself in Green Bay, despite those winters that never end."

While Payton was in New Orleans in January 2006 to meet with Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, he kept checking his cell phone to see if 920, the Green Bay area code, was attached to a text or voice mail.

After talking to Saints officials, including owner Tom Benson, Payton was relaxing in his room at the Renaissance Hotel, which was still open after Hurricane Katrina, before going out to dinner at Tommy's Cuisine.

"I took off my coat and loosened my tie," Payton wrote. "I was relaxing on the bed, almost dozing off. The cell phone began to vibrate. I had a message from 920, Ted Thompson, the Packers GM. Ted got right to the point. 'Hey,' he said, 'the process has gone well. We've decided to go in a different direction, and I wanted to let you know as soon as possible. It hasn't come out yet. Please don't say anything until we announce it.'

"I wanted to cry," Payton wrote. "I appreciated the heads-up. But damn!"

The different direction Thompson was talking about was Mike McCarthy, who was named Packers head coach on Jan. 12, 2006.

But things didn't work out half-bad for Payton. He took the Saints job on Jan. 18, 2006, and a little more than four years later he was holding the Lombardi Trophy as Super Bowl champion.

However in recent days the thrill of winning the Super Bowl has been replaced with a much harsher reality. On Friday a former team security director filed a civil suit that included the accusation that the team tried to cover up the theft of prescription pain pills by senior Saints staff members. Payton issued a statement saying he was not involved.

yooperfan
14 years ago
I know I was pulling for Payton at the time.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
I'm not going to say anything here, given who I was sort of hoping for.

It ranks right up there with my beliefs that (i) Joe Johnson was a great signing, (ii) it made sense to sign Cletidus Hunt rather than Vonnie Holiday to a big contract.

But contrary to popular belief I *never* wanted Rich Campbell, Terrell Buckley, or Bob Schnelker.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dhazer
14 years ago
so in what 4 years he has led the Saints to a super bowl win and 2 NFC championship games, Hmmmmmm I would think he has made the right choice.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

so in what 4 years he has led the Saints to a super bowl win and 2 NFC championship games, Hmmmmmm I would think he has made the right choice.

"dhazer" wrote:

Keep in mind, the HC has to have the right GM pulling the trigger too. It wasn't just the HC that brought the Saints to glory, it was a lot more than that.

I would have been good with having Payton as well. If he's the guy from the Cowboys offensive unit, I liked him. I'm almost positive it was Sean Payton but some reason I'm questioning it.

Edit, here's something I haven't heard mentioned. What if Ted chose McCarthy because he ran the WCO or an offense closer to it than Payton? Keep in mind, Brett said several times while Sherman was here that learning a new offense would be very difficult and he wasn't sure he'd have the energy to do so. Wait, not a chance that Ted did something in FAVOR of Brett, cuz it's Ted that hates Brett! ::roll: lol
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

Thought it was all on the QB to win games and the superbowl?
blank
dhazer
14 years ago

"TheEngineer" wrote:

"dhazer" wrote:

I know thats not being pointed towards me because I have said it many times defense wins championships.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
You've also blamed Rodgers excessively for losses before.

I know you DO understand it's a team sport, so I'll be sure to remind you next time somehow Rodgers slips up.
blank
Greg C.
14 years ago
Very interesting. Thanks for the article. Payton was a much hotter prospect at the time, so Ted went in an unconventional direction. I think McCarthy is about as good a coach as Payton, though. And I think Zero is onto something with the WCO thing. Also, McCarthy had served as Favre's QB coach at one time.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I know thats not being pointed towards me because I have said it many times defense wins championships.

"dhazer" wrote:

except when Aaron Rodgers is on the team starting at QB, then when the defense falters, it's still the QB's fault.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.