Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100616/PKR01/100616156/1058/B.J.-Raji-s-goal-for-the-season---Just-cause-havoc- 

The question was simple and B.J. Raji answered with a matter-of-fact tone that made the inquiry sound asinine like the answer was common knowledge.

What can you do if you get the regular job in the middle? someone asked him after the Green Bay Packers organized team activity practice on Wednesday.

What can I do? Raji repeated. Just cause havoc.

That was the thought process when the Packers selected the former Boston College star with the No. 9 pick of the 2009 draft. Raji was considered an instant impact-type player, but a few factors slowed his production last season.

First, Raji missed two weeks of training camp while holding out. Then an ankle injury kept him out of action.

And when on the field, rotations from defensive end to nose tackle kept Raji from being able to grow into one position.

That was 2009. This is 2010.

The Packers have handed Raji the starting nose tackle job and hes approaching the responsibility with a Pro Bowl mentality.

Skys the limit for me, I believe, Raji said. When I come in and wreak havoc, it will change a lot. It makes the lives of Nick (Barnett) and (Brandon Chillar) and A.J. (Hawk) a lot easier. Thats what the 3-4 is designed to do, get our linebackers running free and making plays. And when the opportunity presents itself, Ill make the plays myself.

Raji started every game he played at Boston College from the time he was a sophomore. He was named an AP third-team All-American as a senior and was the first defensive tackle in 23 years to lead B.C. in sacks.

After his belated start in training camp, Raji went down with an ankle injury against Tennessee in the final preseason game. Being slowed his entire rookie year by a bum ankle and starting just one game was different, to say the least. Add that to playing multiple positions in a new defense and you have a developmental first year.

The comfort level is a lot better and thats something that came over time, Raji said. That particular ankle injury I didnt know it was as severe as it was at the time.

This year, Im more of a focal point as far as the starting lineup is concerned. Im worried about that right now.

Coach Mike McCarthy agreed that focusing on one position should benefit the 6-foot-2, 337-pounder with light feet. He also lauded Rajis commitment to the weight room during the offseason.

Defensive end Ryan Pickett could barely contain his appreciation for his fellow defensive lineman.

Aw, man I think hes at home (at nose tackle), Pickett said. He just fit right in. Hes got the body style, quickness, strength. Hes not missing nothing. He has all the tangibles to be a great nose tackle.

If he can just continue to play how he started last year, thats going to mean the world to our defense. His desire is to be the best.

Pickett and safety Nick Collins talked about an added dimension Raji could bring to the unit. The defense was the No. 1 run-stopping team in the league last year (83.3 yards a game), but gave up 375 passing yards in a playoff loss to Arizona and 472 yards through the air in a December regular-season loss to Pittsburgh. The prospect of additional pass rush from the inside that forces the ball in the air quicker lit up Collins eyes.

Hes got a better understanding of the game and thats just going to make him play a little faster and be dominant, Collins said. If he can do that, we can be one of those defenses you talk about for years to come.

Weve got these ball-hawks back here. More opportunities, more floaters, however you want to put it. Everybody just having a good time playing football.

The trust from teammates, the starting job, life at one position and a year of experience should have Raji feeling fairly confident. And thats probably not a strong enough adjective.

But dont act like he wasnt already.

It wasnt I didnt have any confidence in myself, Raji bristled. It was confidence in the defense. Not understanding why I had to be somewhere.

I always had (confidence).

UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago
C'mon big man, step up!!!

Can't wait to see you 'causing havoc all over the field!!
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I look for big things from the big guy. A year of experience and being healthy should make a big difference. He seems to have a good attitude also. This is in regards to his work ethic and what he expects of himself.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Nice. We already were #1 against the run. Now, if he can just generate pressure up the middle, that would be awesome. It could be the one thing that bumps us up into the elite D status.

Pressure can hide the problems we have defending the pass.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
digsthepack
13 years ago
Middloe rush from the DL is what Raji did all throughout his college career...look forward to him letting loose, and I like his unselfish attitude. That said, I really believe a healthy Lee in the secondary will have huge beneifts. Kid is a player...IF he stays healthy!
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Rockmolder
13 years ago

Nice. We already were #1 against the run. Now, if he can just generate pressure up the middle, that would be awesome. It could be the one thing that bumps us up into the elite D status.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

And that's the main reason why we're changing it up in the middle, I think.

Pickett was good, but he usually doesn't collapse the pocket and force the QB outside. When you have a NT who can both hold his ground and get to the passer, you have a huge advantage over the other team, already.

And I'm not expecting amazing things from him in the pass rush department. Guys like Kelly Gregg, Vince Wilfork and Aubrayo Franklin don't rush the passer really well, but they're quality guys. The only NT who I can think of who really gets after the QB is Shaun Rogers. If Raji can get even close to his skills when rushing the QB, I'm happy with the switch, as long as he holds his ground and stops the run.

And this gives us Pickett on the outside. He won't create a great rush on the left side, but being the big guy and blockeater that he is, he should be able to get Jones on a RB or TE pretty often. And that's a really favorable match-up for an OLB.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Corey Williams got 15 sacks in two years for us from the middle. If Raji can even come close to that, I'd be stoked.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
porky88
13 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Pickett was good, but he usually doesn't collapse the pocket and force the QB outside. When you have a NT who can both hold his ground and get to the passer, you have a huge advantage over the other team, already.

And I'm not expecting amazing things from him in the pass rush department. Guys like Kelly Gregg, Vince Wilfork and Aubrayo Franklin don't rush the passer really well, but they're quality guys. The only NT who I can think of who really gets after the QB is Shaun Rogers. If Raji can get even close to his skills when rushing the QB, I'm happy with the switch, as long as he holds his ground and stops the run.

And this gives us Pickett on the outside. He won't create a great rush on the left side, but being the big guy and blockeater that he is, he should be able to get Jones on a RB or TE pretty often. And that's a really favorable match-up for an OLB.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Jay Ratliff is the best in the business at collapsing the pocket from the inside.

Raji has the rare combination of size, power, and the athleticism to get after the QB. He plays the game at a better pad level than Pickett. If you watch Raji, he wins the leverage battle (like Ratliff) and Raji can really push the pocket. That's why I think moving him to nose is going to maximize the defense's capabilities.

Pickett is a brick wall, but a brick wall doesn't go anywhere. If Raji gives the Pack 3 to 5 sacks this year, that will translate into more pressure for the Packers.
Rockmolder
13 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Jay Ratliff is the best in the business at collapsing the pocket from the inside.

Raji has the rare combination of size, power, and the athleticism to get after the QB. He plays the game at a better pad level than Pickett. If you watch Raji, he wins the leverage battle (like Ratliff) and Raji can really push the pocket. That's why I think moving him to nose is going to maximize the defense's capabilities.

Pickett is a brick wall, but a brick wall doesn't go anywhere. If Raji gives the Pack 3 to 5 sacks this year, that will translate into more pressure for the Packers.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Hadn't even thought of Jay Ratliff. You're right, he's the best. But just the sheer physical ability that Rogers has is so impressive. If he put in a 100% effort every single snap, he might just be the best.

I'd say some more but, well, I read your post pretty much like this is something we agree on.

Corey Williams got 15 sacks in two years for us from the middle. If Raji can even come close to that, I'd be stoked.

"Zombieslayer" wrote:

Corey Williams is a real undertackle, though. He'd translate into a DE in the 3-4. Much like he did in Cleveland, which didn't work.

I could see a guy like Cullen Jenkins racking up 14 sacks in two seasons for his position and that would be an amazing feat.

Having a NT get anywhere close to those numbers is nearly unreal. And Jay Ratliff is doing just that.
Kingkoopa
13 years ago
Those comments on PFT make me sick.

As for Raji, hope he can become a stud, seems like he has the attitude required and the body mass also. Still can't believe all those negative reports about him when he first came out.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (1h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (17h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (18h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (21h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (21h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.