Rockmolder
13 years ago

1. Packers -- They have three excellent corners in Woodson, Williams and Harris. They had outstanding production from their safeties last year and added one in the draft. They got 24 interceptions from their starters last year, despite ranking only 11th in sacks.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Hmm...

Do I really buy that we're #1? We've been burned by elite QBs. Favre threw 7 TDs vs 0 INTs against us. Ben R threw for over 500 yards and 3 TDs vs 0 INTs. Kurt Warner threw for 5 TDs vs 0 INTs.

But then again, he's right about the lack of a pass rush. You can't cover professional receivers forever, no matter how good you are.

Maybe he's right. Maybe by scapegoating the DBs, we're blaming the wrong people. Maybe our DBs really are that good. If so, if Dom Capers doesn't start producing more sacks, he's holding back our D.

Paging Shawn, paging Shawn.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I do think pretty much any team would be screwed if one of their top 2 CBs is out for the year. Can anyone think of a team that is solid 3 deep?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
porky88
13 years ago
While I wouldn't call Green Bay the deepest secondary, I agree that the pass rush is the main reason for the struggles against elite quarterbacks. That and selling the farm to stop Adrian Peterson against the Vikings.

You can actually point to the linebackers in coverage as a bigger problem than the corners.

I also think people are underselling the upgrade Morgan Burnett provides over Atari Bigby in the pass defense.

The Packers may have the best secondary in the game at creating turnovers, but they aren't the best in terms of being assignment sound. That would be my argument against the article. Beyond that, I wouldn't take many starting secondaries over the Packers with or without Al Harris.
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I also think people are underselling the upgrade Morgan Burnett provides over Atari Bigby in the pass defense.

The Packers may have the best secondary in the game at creating turnovers, but they aren't the best in terms of being assignment sound. That would be my argument against the article. Beyond that, I wouldn't take many starting secondaries over the Packers with or without Al Harris.

"porky88" wrote:

Takeaways are like saves in baseball. Just ask the '09 Saints. They seemed to pull some wins out of their a**** that they should have lost all season long and takeaways were one of the primary reasons. Their D wasn't that good. They just seemed to get a takeaway at the best possible time.

As much as people like to clown on Darren Sharper, I'd rather take a guy who blows coverage to get an INT than one who makes his coverage every time and doesn't generate takeaways. It's a gamble I'd take. So would Payton, and it paid off for him with a ring.

I like the fact that we may have the best secondary in the game at takeaways. I'm perfectly willing to forgive blown coverages to get takeaways.

Now if our pass rushing would do its job and actually put some pressure on in key moments (remember, 1 sack in 3 key games - MN x2 and Arizona playoff game), we might have been the ones carrying the Lombardi Trophy last year. I strongly think last year's team would have beaten the Colts. Our O was unstoppable once the OL got fixed.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
Toughness and savy were Harris's greatest assets IMO. Hopefully he comes back whole, but if he loses speed and/or quickness does that not make it matter as much or does it make matters worse?
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
The reason most teams only keep 6 CBs is because you usually don't go through them all. With 4 of 6 hurt, even a team with great depth would be out of CBs.

We are getting every one of them back. Harris may be a little after the start of the season, but I would not think PUP.

I also don't recall any coverage sacks in the second half, if the QB can hit his first read on a 3 step drop, a great pass rush will not have time to reach him. We did get to Big Ben but he fought through and the made the play. He would have been in the 300s for yardage if you took out the completions to against Bush, who would not even be considered in CB depth chart if it were not for 4 guys ahead of him getting hurt.

Two of the 3 "elite" QBs that torched us were up against our ST and street FA CBs. They won't be playing against them this year.

People also forget that Bigby missed half of the playoff game in AZ. We lost 2 very winnable games in the first half of the season when Bigby was out. If we get him back and Burnette is either a starter or a solid backup, that would fix the depth there.

Before all the injuries, our secondary was considered one of the strengths of the team. If we are healthy, why would it be any different this year?
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.