beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html 

I don't think there are any huge surprises, they didn't repeat some names but that's probably to save room.

I'm surprised that D.J. Clark is listed higher than Sam Shields, Josh Bell and Al Harris. Harris is injured, but I'm not sure why Clark is listed higher than Bell and Shields.

Sam Shields is listed the 3rd at both return spots.

They don't have punter even listed. Maybe they think it's too tight to list one higher than the other?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
It's apparently been an extremely close race, according to Greg Bedard:

The punting competition between Bryan and Tim Masthay continued to be close. On five kicks, Bryan had a 50.4 average, Bryan a 47.0.

As one commenter pointed out, Bryan is apparently competing with his inner demons. 😉
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
I found it interesting that Breno G is listed as the No. 2 RT and Lang is only listed at RG.

I also like that Brandon Chiller is getting a crack at OLB. Not sure he's big enough to do it, but he certainly gives the Pack more options.

Packers have some good second string players. It really stands out looking at their depth chart.
Rockmolder
13 years ago
I doubt they'll be keeping 3 FBs, so seeing Quinn Johnson as 3rd on the depth chart doesn't make me too happy.

I hope that Quinn Porter beats out Kregg Lumpkin, eventually.

McCarthy said something about taking this punting competition into pre-season week 4 if he has to and if it stays as close as it has been.

Of course, this all means very little right now.
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

I found it interesting that Breno G is listed as the No. 2 RT and Lang is only listed at RG.

"porky88" wrote:

Like I said I think they're trying to not double names right now as to save room on the depth chart. They did it for Bulaga as they had room to and not put anyone on "other" and because they didn't want Barbre or Newhouse listed at #2 LG.

I also like that Brandon Chiller is getting a crack at OLB. Not sure he's big enough to do it, but he certainly gives the Pack more options.

"porky88" wrote:

I think Chiller could be a very good pass rusher from the outside.

I doubt they'll be keeping 3 FBs, so seeing Quinn Johnson as 3rd on the depth chart doesn't make me too happy.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

The guy has to learn to more than just run blocking. He has to learn to pass block or run routes and catch passes if not both. Also add more to STs.

I hope that Quinn Porter beats out Kregg Lumpkin, eventually.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Yeah I wasn't very happy to see Lumpkin as the #3 RB. I was hoping one of the other two beats him out.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I say screw it. Let's not have a punter. Save a roster spot for someone more important. In the rare occasions we have to punt, I'm sure Aaron can punt. I mean, how hard is it to kick a ball far?

I remember reading an argument where everyone should just go on fourth down. The thing is, I think the guy was a university professor and he had statistics to back up the argument.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rockmolder
13 years ago

"beast" wrote:

The guy has to learn to more than just run blocking. He has to learn to pass block or run routes and catch passes if not both. Also add more to STs.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

He does, but I don't see why we should keep 2 FBs on the roster who most likely won't improve from here on out.

2 FBs is one too many to just have on your roster. If we're keeping a 2nd FB, it has to be because he's a project. Like Quinn is.

STs is a good point, but I think that TE might be the position where we keep so many people that they make up for half the STs unit this year. Finley - Lee - Havner - Quarless doesn't sound like a longshot. And Crabtree has been pretty decent in camp, as well.

For all I care, Quinn does his best Giacomini impression this year.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I've read suggestions that Quinn Johnson should gain 15 pounds or so and try out for guard, since all he can do is block anyway. He is slow, lumbering, and can barely catch even the easiest catches. That might be his best chance for a future in a league that is increasingly deprecating the position of fullback.

I agree that I want Porter to beat out Lumpkin. I've wanted Lumpkin gone for a couple of years now. He always looks so promising in camp but never seems to produce anything on the field.

Gregg Easterbrook (Tuesday Morning Quarterback) is an outspoken advocate  of going for it on fourth down. He points out that the average NFL play covers more than 5 yards, while the average distance required on fourth down is well under 5 yards.

Bryan Burke over at AdvancedNFLStats.com  is another advocate of going for it on fourth down, and he's done a rather exhaustive statistical study of its benefits.

I personally also hate watching teams punt, particularly in short-yardage situations, unless they're pinned deep in their own territory. Obviously, the strategy has to be used judiciously. 4th-and-2 is a lot different than 4th-and-26. One of the things I respect about Mike McCarthy and Bill Belichick is they go for it on fourth down far more than the average NFL coach. Peyton Manning likes to go for it on fourth too, which is one of the reasons I am a Manning apologist (even though I hate to watch him play).
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
NSD - Thanks for those 2 links. But it was neither of those. It was someone who was not even associated with football; someone who was a statistics professor or economics professor or something boring like that, but it totally made sense when he explained the numbers.

I think coaches who punt within their opponent's 35 should be beaten and left for dead in Siberia. When I see them do that, I get really, really angry.

If you have an elite QB (in the cases of Rodgers, Brady, and Manning, the three teams you mentioned), you should go for it on 4th down a lot more. Drive opposing Defensive Coordinators nuts. Nothing a DC hates more than seeing his team fail on stopping a fourth down. Makes their blood pressure go up.

That's one thing I've always wanted to see. I want to see an opposing DC lose it and end up rocking back and forth in a loonie bin. That would rule.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
You're probably referring to this paper  by Berkeley economist David Romer.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (9h) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (12h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.