obi1
  • obi1
  • Registered Topic Starter
15 years ago

We're not actually complaining about a quarterback who is "responsible" with the football are we? This year's problems for the GBP has very little to do with the quarterback.

If I were coach, I would address these penalties that are absolutely killing us this year. In the Atlanta game, I would have committed another penalty myself chewing some zebra's a$$ on that Patrick Lee pass interference call (that penalty cost 7 pts for those that forgot).

"DakotaT" wrote:

We're not complaing about the referees are we?

No, seriously, I really do think that Rodgers is an excellent QB with good instincts but I think more cn be done with him be altering the play calling to buy him time or to dump the ball quicker.
blank
warhawk
15 years ago
I think a roll out here and there is fine but mostly to give the D a different look from time to time.

I HATED everytime I saw BF do this. Much too often it resulted in a pass to someone wearing the wrong uniforms. The problem is it simplifies the coverages and reduces the field and allows off-defenders to gamble a little more and jump routes.

Brian Urlacher get's an INT about every five years and one of the two he got last year off Brett was one of these. I will say though that I don't think Brett ever looked comfortable doing this but Arod has pinpointed a couple of sideline passes that could only be caught by our guys.

I don't think rolling out on any consistant basis would work well in this league. When you cut the field in half there's a lot of bodies on the other team over there and guys quickly floating into what looks like an open passing lane.
"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
What? Rodgers holds onto the ball too long? GOSH, who said that weeks ago and was blasted off his own forum for it? lol 😛 (ok thats being dramatic)

It's not secret that I think he's holding the ball too long. He goes into every play with check downs and primary WR. You have to go through your progressions quick and make a good decision quick. This will come with time I feel.

I would change things up. I'd sit Clifton down for two or three games and insert Colledge in his place while putting Barbre in at LG.

I'd also use a few 2 TE sets with some clever motion with a slot WR to get a good matchup.

I'd run to the RIGHT every now and then.

I'd use a 3 - 3 - 5 defensive scheme with a blitzing safety... if we have a healthy one.

I'd also do more corner blitz's.

I'd can Derrick Frost and hire the next person I saw that could even kick a ball. Even if that person was my 7 yr old daughter.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
15 years ago

What? Rodgers holds onto the ball too long? GOSH, who said that weeks ago and was blasted off his own forum for it? lol 😛 (ok thats being dramatic)

I'd use a 3 - 3 - 5 defensive scheme with a blitzing safety... if we have a healthy one.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Pats on the back are for women Zero. You get enough accolades with your technology.

How about a 4 - 2 - 5 when Harris and Bigby are back. Tramon has earned a right to be on the field. Poppinga can play DE on passing downs. KGB can just collect his retirement checks.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
I know I sound like a lame apologist whenever I mention injuries, but I wonder if some of the uncertainty from missing WRs has contributed to this (Aaron holding on to the ball too long). Don't get me wrong: Dude absolutely has to play w/ who he has out on the field and there's no excuse being offered, but I just wonder if the whole rhythm of our passing O wasn't a little messed up by those injuries.

Other than the fumble (and thanks to whomever pointed out that Wynn wasn't looking for the pass at that point), I thought he did a much better job of getting rid of the ball more quickly against Seattle, when he had more of his guys out there to get it to.

Regardless, as many of you have already said, QB play isn't close to being our problem thus far this year. If I was the coach, I'd be smacking Campen about the head and shoulders, repeatedly yelling "GET. IT. DONE!" and ensuring that the punter gets a nice long swim in the lake with some special cement shoes. And if I were a religious head coach, I'd be spending a lot of time praying for injuries to heal.
blank
4PackGirl
15 years ago
if i were the coach, i'd be on the ass of every player who missed tackles, assignments, & got idiotic penalties - period!

and since i'm a chick, if they did it more than twice in a game, i'd make them wear hot pink shirts & light pink pants for every practice until they improved. 😉
zombieslayer
15 years ago

"DakotaT" wrote:

Pats on the back are for women Zero. You get enough accolades with your technology.

How about a 4 - 2 - 5 when Harris and Bigby are back. Tramon has earned a right to be on the field. Poppinga can play DE on passing downs. KGB can just collect his retirement checks.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Agreed, Zero. You got 123 applause points. What more do you want? ;)

Now back on topic. The problem isn't Aaron Rodgers , it's the OL. Holding the ball too long is a young QB mistake that gets corrected with TIME. It will be corrected.

Our OL on the other hand is not run blocking. It's not pass blocking either. Mike McCarthy needs to start punishing. Another bad performance earns the bench. Players hate the bench. It's time to start using the bench and following through with threats.

Meanwhile, Ted Thompson needs to make OL his #1 focus. Since Ted Thompson has been here, our OL hasn't been that good. BF did a wonderful job at covering it up, but now you're seeing just how bad it really is.

Forgive the comparison, this is more something a Veteran can do that a young one can't and not at all a hit on Aaron Rodgers .
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
millertime
15 years ago
Give him solid o-line play.

My ideal O-line =

Clifton
Sitton
Wells
Spitz
Tauscher

Reason: These are our biggest and strongest linemen. I'm sick of the finesse o-line scheme and watching undersized guards dive at the ankles and knees of opposing d-linemen instead of outright blocking them. As the crazy old lady used to say... Where's the beef?!
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Agreed, Zero. You got 123 applause points. What more do you want? Wink
... thats cuz i was the first one here lol
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago
It comes with experience. The more Rodgers plays, the more confidence he'll gain especially if he plays well. He's indecisive at times because most first year starters are. I'm not sure anyone can criticize the job McCarthy has done with Rodgers. When he got here, a lot of people including myself felt Rodgers was going to be a big bust. Not so much at least for now. Considering I don't think the passing game is the problem and I feel it's the strength of the team, I don't think I'd change a thing McCarthy is doing. If I were coach, I'd hire McCarthy to keep doing what he's doing.

Now the running game and defense is a whole other story. 🙂