Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Revis? Did someone say Revis? Not so fast, my friend!

Gap between Darrelle Revis, Jets 'insurmountable,' owner says 
Published: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 7:15 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 7:28 PM
Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

UserPostedImage
William Perlman/The Star-LedgerWoody Johnson says he was tried to join last week's meeting at Roscoe Diner, but was "rebuffed." Jon Feinsod, one of Revis' agents, says they would meet with Johnson "any time, any place."

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The gap between Darrelle Revis and the Jets appears to get wider with each passing day of his holdout, at least publicly. Woody Johnson went so far as to call it "insurmountable."

"Well I feel that he will not be on the New York Jets team this year, based on what I know today to this very moment," Johnson said this afternoon on the Michael Kay Show on ESPN. "Now that could change, and I hope it does change."

On Monday, Johnson said he was not optimistic a deal with Revis would get done before the season, and told ESPN E:60 that he had a "gut feeling" Revis would not play this season.

Johnson reiterated that the difference in the six-months long impasse is total compensation. Asked why he had not just paid Revis, the All-Pro cornerback and team's best defensive player, he emphasized that the deal has to work for both sides -- and indicated that the proposal Revis' agents made last Friday at the Roscoe Diner only works for one side.

"I have to go by what we feel, and we feel that, 'Yes, he's a good player,' " Johnson said. "But until we come up with an agreement on what the compensation should be, it's not going to work. I think we have to look at a lot of ingredients when were putting this team together, not just Darrelle."

Johnson said he has agreed to meet with Revis in person. He also said he offered, through Revis' agents, to be at the meeting between general manager Mike Tannenbaum and Revis' agents last Friday but was rebuffe

One of Revis' agents, Jon Feinsod, said they would meet with Johnson "any time, any place." He added that he has never spoken with Johnson nor his secretary, and would "love to hear" what he thinks of the proposal they made for a long-term deal.

According to Feinsod, none of the Jets' proposals have contained "a single dollar" of a signing bonus.

Asked to respond to this statement, a team official referred back to Tannenbaum's comments on the opening day of training camp and reiterated that the team is flexible on the signing bonus amount, as well as other bonuses and the structure of the guarantees.

Revis is not expected to report today, meaning he will sacrifice an accrued season by rule. His stance is that he will not report without a new contract, and he is not wavering.

I am a little puzzled by that last paragraph. I thought you only sacrifice accrued seasons if you play fewer than 6 games. That's why holdouts often talk about reporting in week 10.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Flacco is not elite. Sanchez won't be for at least another year. He's young and promising, but 2010 isn't his year yet.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Gravedigga
13 years ago

Well, having read both articles and Porky's excellent analysis (of which I completely agree), I still think the same. We stack the box, stop AP, and sweep the Vikings without Favre. TJ or Sage beating us? LOL.

Today's elite teams require an elite QB, not an elite RB. The NFL has two absolutely amazing RBs right now and of those 2, one is on an elite team. If that team's QB is retired, the team instantly drops off elite status.

The only team that had a shot last year without an elite QB were the Jets. They didn't last too long in the Playoffs because they couldn't score. In 2010, the SB winner will be quarterbacked by either Rodgers, Brees, Favre, Rivers, Manning, or Brady. Possibly by Romo. OK, stop laughing. I said "possibly."

"zombieslayer" wrote:

An elite RB is extremely overrated. I can not think of one running back, by himself that significantly improved a team on his own other than Barry Sanders. Most of the rest of the guys since i became a fan in 1991, pretty much need a good offense around them or good offensive line. It's all about the QB, decent offensive line and defensive front 7. Your weapons arent that important if you have those key elements. Least important is a running back. They are a dime a dozen
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

Well, having read both articles and Porky's excellent analysis (of which I completely agree), I still think the same. We stack the box, stop AP, and sweep the Vikings without Favre. TJ or Sage beating us? LOL.

Today's elite teams require an elite QB, not an elite RB. The NFL has two absolutely amazing RBs right now and of those 2, one is on an elite team. If that team's QB is retired, the team instantly drops off elite status.

The only team that had a shot last year without an elite QB were the Jets. They didn't last too long in the Playoffs because they couldn't score. In 2010, the SB winner will be quarterbacked by either Rodgers, Brees, Favre, Rivers, Manning, or Brady. Possibly by Romo. OK, stop laughing. I said "possibly."

"Gravedigga" wrote:

An elite RB is extremely overrated. I can not think of one running back, by himself that significantly improved a team on his own other than Barry Sanders. Most of the rest of the guys since i became a fan in 1991, pretty much need a good offense around them or good offensive line. It's all about the QB, decent offensive line and defensive front 7. Your weapons arent that important if you have those key elements. Least important is a running back. They are a dime a dozen

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Barry didn't bring them too many rings either.

I see it as the difference between Barry and Emmitt. Barry had the talent but he didn't have the line to get consistent yards. Emmitt didn't have the talent but he did have the line. He ran up to the 3 yards the O line gave him and fell down for 2 more. That consistent production kept drives going, chewing up clock and keeping the D off the field. Barry would gain nothing or lose yardage for 3 quarters until finally breaking a couple and getting 125 for the game. Producing many 3 and outs, keeping the D on the field. Lack of consistent production is a problem.

I would take a back that made 4.4 per and and didn't get breakaway runs, over one who made 4.4 and got lots of of them.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I shudder to think of what Barry Sanders (and the cowboys) would have done had he had those cowboy lines giving him three yards head start.

IMO the record for yards would have been so far out there (which would be okay) but the cowboys would have had more rings (which wouldnt be).
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Gravedigga
13 years ago

I shudder to think of what Barry Sanders (and the cowboys) would have done had he had those cowboy lines giving him three yards head start.

IMO the record for yards would have been so far out there (which would be okay) but the cowboys would have had more rings (which wouldnt be).

"Wade" wrote:

I gotta think he would have hit 7.5 yards per carry and nearly 2500 rushing yards at least once
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (10h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.