Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2010/08/16/practice-no-15-the-roundup/ 

The Packers were back at it on Ray Nitschke Field this afternoon for a 2 hour, 16 minute workout in some beautifully mild weather. Nice breeze. Mid-to-upper 70s. Partly cloudy.

Lets hit the highlights

A little chippy: Coach Mike McCarthy was not a happy camper with some of the early moments in practice. More profanity being thrown around than usual. Things got really loud after a couple miscues by rookie RB Quinn Porter. First, he didnt take the field with the No. 2 kickoff team like he was supposed to. Porter then dropped a kickoff moments later, throwing off the kickoff coverage rep.

I dont design that, McCarthy said about his vocal frustrations. Practice, there is an accomplishment, a level of practice that you try to have every day. When we dont reach that, its my responsibility to get it out of them. This is a tough practice. Year in and year out this is always a padded practice 48 hours after a game. This is a tough practice on our football team, so it was important to get the quality work out of our team today. I think we accomplished that. Well look at the film, but we werent as sharp as we needed to be when we started practice today.

No change:
Daryn Colledge and Bryan Bulaga continue to split first-team reps at left guard. Bulaga is also taking the No. 2 snaps at left tackle. So, basically, nothing has changed there after the first exhibition game. McCarthy said he has no time frame on making a decision.

I dont have a deadline, but really just the progress that Bryan makes and how Daryn continues to go through camp will answer that question. I know everybody would like to have the starting line by the third game, but well just see how it goes.

Injury update: RB Ryan Grant sat out today after sustaining a concussion during the exhibition game. McCarthy said he hopes to have Grant back Tuesday. No. 3 back Kregg Lumpkin was also out after tweaking his hamstring Saturday. That left Brandon Jackson and Quinn Porter running the ball today. Actually, fullback John Kuhn got in the mix with the numbers issue. Remember, sixth-round draft pick James Starks hasnt practiced yet because of a hamstring. (And you can tell McCarthy is growing impatient)

McCarthy said hes comfortable with the depth at running back and has no issues with Jackson being the No. 1 back, if necessary.

(The Blog is not as confident)

WR Tom Crabtree is still out with a hand injury and McCarthy said head trainer Pepper Burruss called it a wrist sprain. But Crabtree was scheduled to see the doctors again after practice and possibly be fitted for a cast.

C/G Evan Dietrich-Smith was also new to the sidelines with a neck sprain.

Besides that, it was the usual cast: S Atari Bigby, S Will Blackmon, CB Al Harris, RB James Starks, LB Alex Joseph, LB Clay Matthews, LB Nick Barnett (who did participate in some walk-through periods), LB Cyril Obiozor and G/C Jason Spitz.

Closing out: LB Frank Zombo wrapped up practice with back-to-back sacks of Matt Flynn during the final period. The No. 2 offense had 3rd and goal from the 9-yard line with time running out when Zombo recorded the first sack. The offense hurried up for one last snap on 4th and goal from the 11-yard line and Zombo got to Flynn again. Great coverage on the last play and Zombo kept working to get there.

Good work: Mason Crosby was 6 for 7 on field goals. Made from 28, 30, 36, 40, 43, 45. Missed left from 33. Chris Bryan held on the first four (28, 30, 33 and 36). Tim Masthay held on the last three.

Short period: Just four punts today. Bryan went first with a 56-yarder and a 41-yarder. Masthay hit a 54-yarder and a 65-yarder for touchback.

Cause and effect: The Packers fumbled the ball four times against Cleveland on Saturday, losing two to the Browns. Every practice the team has a ball-security period, but its usually broken up between positions with the lineman working on something else. Monday, the entire team was pulled together for the session and there was an emphasis and urgency to the drill that was a little more intense than normal.

Up next: Tuesday is a scheduled workout with the team practicing at 8:45 a.m. and 6:30 p.m

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Lumpkin tweaking a hammy is not good. He already has a long injury history. He will be in trouble if this keeps him out of practice for a long time.

Back-to-back sacks by Zombo is good. He also had at least one good play against the Browns. He may sneak onto the roster.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Lumpkin had the hamstring before the game started, but said he had to get something on tape so he played through it.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

Back-to-back sacks by Zombo is good.

"Greg C." wrote:

I'm gonna join you in going way out on that limb, and say that I also think that getting back to back sacks is good.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Oh boy. I'm not comfortable with Grant on the sidelines. I doubt Mike McCarthy is either, but he doesn't want to say that.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Dulak
13 years ago

Lumpkin tweaking a hammy is not good. He already has a long injury history. He will be in trouble if this keeps him out of practice for a long time.

Back-to-back sacks by Zombo is good. He also had at least one good play against the Browns. He may sneak onto the roster.

"Greg C." wrote:

after seeing our LBers play its really good to hear zombo tearing it up. He looked decent also on the field vs the browns. I admit jones looked decent also but the rest I wasnt really impressed with.

Im not sure how many OLBers we will keep but wouldnt mind matthews, jones, pop and zombo - dont remember how obiazor (spelling) was last year.
Chillar really didnt do jack at OLBer.
Greg C.
13 years ago

"Dulak" wrote:

after seeing our LBers play its really good to hear zombo tearing it up. He looked decent also on the field vs the browns. I admit jones looked decent also but the rest I wasnt really impressed with.

Im not sure how many OLBers we will keep but wouldnt mind matthews, jones, pop and zombo - dont remember how obiazor (spelling) was last year.

"Greg C." wrote:

Obiozor was the hot young player last year, but this year he's been nicked up and hasn't impressed anybody when he's played. Zombo seems to have taken his place.

Chillar did make one good play in the Browns game, stepping back from the line of scrimmage to deflect a pass. I think it was a game where the action just didn't go his way much, so I'm hoping he makes more plays in the next game.
blank
British
13 years ago

"Dulak" wrote:

"Greg C." wrote:

Agreed, we need at least one of the undrafted free agents to step up, Zombo appears to have the lead at the moment.

Quick thing on the subject of abbreviating linebacker, I think LB does the job. I used to write OLBer all the time but there's really no need. And for the plural just write LBs and save yourself typing extra letters.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Kregg Lumpkin was also out after tweaking his hamstring Saturday.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Surprise, surprise.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (17h) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.