MassPackersFan
13 years ago
foxsports link 

What I learned at camp this summer

I always loved summer camp.

But bug juice has been replaced with cheeseburgers and brats from Curly's inside Lambeau Field and Dougs Fish Fry in lovely Cortland, N.Y.

I try to make it a goal not to overreact to a day or two with NFL clubs in August, but here are my pressing takes, SCHEIN 9 style, on what I learned at summer camp.

1. The Packers offense will be the best in the NFL

Aaron Rodgers looks bigger than he did last year. When I talked to the quarterback at length, Rodgers said he learned a lot about leadership, accuracy and "availability to his team" from working with Drew Brees. The Packers' pass protection, the lone weakness of the offense, is going to be better with first-round pick Bryan Bulaga starting at left guard. And Rodgers said he spent the offseason pouring over film with Mike McCarthy, going over how he can do a better job getting rid of the ball quicker. Hell be my preseason pick for league MVP this year.

The Packers have outstanding depth and talent 1-through-5 at receiver, highlighted by Greg Jennings and Donald Driver, but the biggest difference will be the presence of Jermichael Finley, who predicted hed amass 1,200 receiving yards this year. Rodgers smiled when informed of that goal. Finley has that type of upside, especially now that hes completely dedicated to football and not prone to off-field distractions.

McCarthy, for one, would love to be a bit more balanced on offense this year, which should equal 1,350 yards for the strong and steady Ryan Grant.

2. The Packers defense is more comfortable, even with key injuries

Pro Bowl safety Nick Collins was refreshingly candid when I asked him when the club finally felt comfortable last year in Dom Capers 3-4 defense. Collins said: At earliest, I would say midseason. It was a sentiment backed up by linebacker Nick Barnett later in the day. Not bad, considering the Packers finished second in the league on defense. But the Pack is collectively chapped about the late-season breakdowns against Pittsburgh and Arizona, with the later coming in the postseason.

Sure, Al Harris is hurt. So is Atari Bigby. Pro Bowler Aaron Kampman is no longer in Green Bay, though he clearly wasnt a fit in Capers system. Johnny Jolly is suspended for the year. But this team now fully comprehends what the coordinator wants. Plus, Clay Matthews had a fantastic rookie season and isnt worried about a minor hamstring injury. Hes only getting better. B.J. Raji held out last year, then got hurt. Hes a huge key to the Green Bay success. Tramon Williams filled in capably for Harris last year.

And whenever you have reigning Defensive Player of the Year Charles Woodson looming at the back end, you feel good.

3. The Packers special teams scare me

On a blazing hot Thursday morning, nobody felt the heat worse than Mason Crosby when the Packers kicker blew an easy kick. McCarthy screamed. The fans booed. And flashbacks to last seasons struggles came flooding back.

You saw my NFL on FOX video this offseason. Im picking Green Bay to make the Super Bowl, but Crosby has to be better. McCarthy is personally involved in special teams meetings and thinks the issue on the coverage teams was simply holding penalties. The coach says the punting will be better.

[click link above for more, non-Packer related stuff]
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Let me tell you. The problem with the coverage teams was NOT simply holding penalties. Way to do your job half-assed guys.
This is a placeholder
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Aaron Rodgers looks bigger than he did last year.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

This was one of the first things that jumped out at me in those Jay Glazer Training Camp videos. Rodgers appears to have put on some serious mass, particularly in his legs. I find this very encouraging, considering one of my biggest worries going into the regular season last year was how thin Rodgers looked. I was afraid his body wouldn't stand up to the rigors of the hits he would have to take. I'm a lot more confident in his durability this year. His legs are huge.
UserPostedImage
Jacob
13 years ago
when i first read the special teams scared him i thought he meant in a good way
13 years ago
what if we replaced Mason Crosby with David Crosby?

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

zombieslayer
13 years ago
It bugs me that Peyton Manning two years in a row had statistically inferior seasons to Aaron and Aaron didn't get the recognition. I'd love for Aaron to get his first (of several hopefully) MVPs.

Rodgers

2008 341  	536  	63.6  	4038  	28  	5.2  	13  	2.4  	71  	7.5
2009 350  	541  	64.7  	4434  	30  	5.5  	7  	1.3  	83  	8.2

Let's not forget he also ran in 9 TDs in the past 2 years.

Manning

2008 371  	555  	66.8  	4002  	27  	4.9  	12  	2.2  	75  	7.2
2009 393  	571  	68.8  	4500  	33  	5.8  	16  	2.8  	80  	7.9

Whereas besides Michael Vick, well, let's just say with REAL QBs, Aaron Rodgers is the best scrambler in the NFL, Manning had 1 whopping TD rushing in the past two seasons plus ran for -13 yards in 2009.

Yes, I know football does it differently than baseball. As much as I don't like baseball, they get their MVP thingie right. It should be the best player in the league.

As for our D, not too worried yet. Once everyone comes back from injury, you'll see a completely different D.

As for our STs, they worry me.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

what if we replaced Mason Crosby with David Crosby?

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

What about Sidney Crosby?
This is a placeholder
13 years ago
who?

*googles "Sidney Crosby"*

who?

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I've heard Bing Crosby is available.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

foxsports link And Rodgers said he spent the offseason pouring over film with Mike McCarthy
[click link above for more, non-Packer related stuff]

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Q: What exactly did they pour over the film?
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (18h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.