Greg C.
13 years ago

I think Barnett only tore his ACL. I think Al tore every ligament in his knee, which is significantly worse.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

If true, that would explain a lot. I was assuming their injuries were roughly equivalent, because I have read a couple of articles in which Harris's recovery timetable was compared to Barnett's.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
No, GPG is correct. That is why I have been stressing repeatedly throughout the past few weeks that a lot of members on this board are underestimating the severity of his injury. He tore his ACL, MCL, PCL, and I believe some tendons as well. It was a horrific injury, and the incision scars that criss-cross his knee are a sobering reminder of just how profound this reconstruction job was.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

Green Bay also did just fine against Chicago and Detroit last season without Harris. I think they can again.

My main concern will be the Philadelphia game. The Eagles always start fast, so I suspect they will this season. I'm not liking the matchups there.

Fred Davis is a bonafide playmaker at TE for Washington. I think he's definitely someone to keep an eye on. Beyond him in the middle of the field, I don't like Washington's chances of matching up with the Packers.

This was really the best move for the team. They're very fortunate the schedule is in their favor to open the season. I think they'll slip up to someone they shouldn't lose to again this season. My guess is Miami, but that's more to do with the maturity of the team than not having Al Harris.

"porky88" wrote:

Well in Detroit defense they were VERY BANGED UP last time we faced them. IMO their #1 WR shouldn't of even been on the field as he just seemed in too much pain to play (woodson caught more passes than he did that game) And the Lions got a new #2 WR that wasn't there last year.

The Bears have a couple of speed WRs that might be hard to keep up with but like I said Martz + poor pass blocking (normally) = epic fail

Thanks for pointing out Fred Davis. I'm a bit surprised he didn't bust as Nelson looked more physical and willing to take a hit than Davis. But they have a super speedy WR and two TEs receiving TEs. Heck I'm not totally against putting Shields against a raw speedy WR and seeing if he can keep up or not as he's a raw speedy CB.

But if a #3 RB emerges during the first six games, Starks could get waived and possibly taken by another team before he can reach the practice squad, or at any point later in the season.

"Greg C." wrote:

No way does Starks go from the PUP to getting waived. At (I think) week 9 teams have to make a choice with all their PUP players. Put them on the 53 man roster list or IR them. If someone does step into that 3rd RB role and does well and there is no room for Starks he then gets IRed for the season.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

I think Barnett only tore his ACL. I think Al tore every ligament in his knee, which is significantly worse.

"Greg C." wrote:

If true, that would explain a lot. I was assuming their injuries were roughly equivalent, because I have read a couple of articles in which Harris's recovery timetable was compared to Barnett's.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I think Al said of the 5 ligaments in the knee, Harris tore 2 and a muscle. He tore the ACL, the worst one, the LCL, which usually heals without surgery and the anchor point of the outside bottom of the hamstring. His knee basicly folded out.

He discribes the injury better than I can in his road to recovery series on youtube.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
bozz_2006
13 years ago
And his hamstring. He tore that too.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I forgot about the LCL, so thanks for pointing that out.

Something to keep in mind, too, is that Harris's injury was not the result of contact. He hurt himself making a cut in the open field. If his knee was that unstable last year, how can we reasonably expect it to hold up under the rigors of an entire season this year?
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
13 years ago
Source 

It is a very rare injury, said Joe Caroccio, who began work with Harris at the Atlantic Rehab Center in Florida in January. He had a torn anterior cruciate ligament, torn lateral collateral ligament, torn iliotibial band, fibular collateral ligament and torn lateral hamstring.

"Total Packers" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

Greg, I am willing to grant for the sake of argument that from a technical and tactical standpoint, bringing Harris back might be the logical thing. But I still don't think that it would be the right thing to do from a practical standpoint. I think rushing Harris back will simply ensure he goes on IR all the faster. So while we might gain his skills and abilities in the short term, we could easily lose them for the long term. If I had my druthers, the Packers would give him the full three weeks beyond the mandatory six-week inactive period before bringing him back in Week 9 -- unless activating him mid-season will mean the difference between making and missing the playoffs (which I doubt will be the case). It will be far more important for the Packers to bolster their secondary for the stretch run than to have a dominant defense early in the season, particularly considering how challenging the first few weeks look to be for the Vikings.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Thanks to you and others for the explanations. I certainly would not want Harris to be rushed back if it increased his chance of re-injuring the knee. Mostly I'm just disappointed to learn that he's not as far along in his recovery as I was hoping he would be.

I wouldn't feel so bad about it if I had more confidence in our backups. I hope that Underwood and Lee's poor preseason performances were the result of something that won't affect them in the regular season (a near total lack of a pass rush would be the leading candidate, at least in the first two preseason games). Tramon Williams didn't look so hot either, in my opinion, but we know that he is capable of stepping up his performance when it matters. I'm expecting opposing teams to go with three or four wideouts on a regular basis to test our CB depth.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

But if a #3 RB emerges during the first six games, Starks could get waived and possibly taken by another team before he can reach the practice squad, or at any point later in the season.

"beast" wrote:

No way does Starks go from the PUP to getting waived. At (I think) week 9 teams have to make a choice with all their PUP players. Put them on the 53 man roster list or IR them. If someone does step into that 3rd RB role and does well and there is no room for Starks he then gets IRed for the season.

"Greg C." wrote:

Makes sense. I had forgotten about the IR option. I still think they would hate to have him miss two whole seasons in a row, but if they like his potential as much as they seem to, putting him on IR is still better than taking the chance of losing him.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Starks is a rookie, right?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
49m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

51m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

2h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

7h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.