Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Dazzling effort carries Green Bay into bye week
By CHRIS JENKINS

Green Bay - An undermanned defense returned two Peyton Manning passes for touchdowns and the Green Bay Packers rediscovered their swagger in a 34-14 victory over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday.

[img_r]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/oct08/tnick18.jpg[/img_r]Aaron Rodgers gutted out his third straight game with a sprained right shoulder, going 21-for-28 for 186 yards and a touchdown despite 30-mph wind gusts at Lambeau Field.

Ryan Grant had his first 100-yard game of the season, carrying 31 times for 105 yards and a touchdown as the Packers (4-3) have won two straight after snapping a three-game losing streak at Seattle last Sunday.

Green Bay has a bye next week then plays at Tennessee Nov. 2.

"This one was very sweet for us," Rodgers said.

And they're going into the break with plenty of momentum, thanks in large part to a defense that held Manning to 21-of-42 for 229 yards and two interceptions.

Both interceptions were returned for touchdowns, as safety Nick Collins ran one back 62 yards in the third quarter and Aaron Rouse returned one 99 yards to put the game out of Manning's reach in the fourth quarter.

It's the worst start to a season for Indianapolis (3-3) since 2001 - the last time the Colts didn't make the playoffs. It's also their first loss in the month of October since a 2004 game at Kansas City.

Colts coach Tony Dungy said he couldn't remember a sloppier performance during his time with the team.

"It's a very, very disappointing game, obviously," Dungy said. "It's the way we've been all year. We've been up and down, not consistent, and we showed more of that today. They played smarter and sharper than we did."

It was a particularly disheartening performance by the Colts' defense, which seemed to be on its way to proving it could win without injured safety Bob Sanders in Indianapolis' victory over Baltimore last week.

Sanders sat out again with a knee injury, as did cornerback Kelvin Hayden - and it showed. The Colts committed 12 penalties, many of them on defense.

The Colts' defense spent so much time on the field that Manning didn't have many chances to answer the Packers' sustained scoring drives. And when he did have the ball, he didn't look particularly sharp against a Packers defense also playing without two starters in its secondary. [url=index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=91]Read More...[/url].
UserPostedImage
JNelson87
15 years ago
Even though Indianapolis is playing bad this year, I think this is a huge victory for us. We played our first complete game, played great in all phases of the game including T.O.P. which is very important.. and the D returned two INTs for TDs. I think this win with the bye will motivate the guys and prepare them for really their first tough opponet of the season, besides Dallas. My spirits are pretty high for this team. We're playing pretty good after snapping that 3 game losing streak and I think we'll keep it up. We'll play at a high level but with the tough schedule ahead we'll win some and lose some but if they play like they did today we'll win more games and make a playoff spot. Bigby and maybe Harris will be back.. along with Harrell and hopefully Jones.. we'll be in good shape.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

Even though Indianapolis is playing bad this year, I think this is a huge victory for us.

"JNelson87" wrote:

Didnt you hear?

Since Indy SMASHED the Ravens last week the Packers had no chance according to some on this board
Jacob
15 years ago
the team we were last year, probably even better, things are looking way up
macbob
15 years ago
Was an impressive, pretty much all-around dominant performance against one of the elite teams (and quarterbacks) in the NFL.
UserPostedImage
JNelson87
15 years ago

Since Indy SMASHED the Ravens last week the Packers had no chance according to some on this board

"longtimefan" wrote:

I even predicted a 37-24 Indiapolis victory.. not on this board but that's what I thought the outcome would be. I'm not surprised by this win cause we have the talent but I dont think anyone expected Indianapolis to play as bad as they did.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago
This was a GOOD win no matter how you look at it

defense? they played better then i have seen in a while

Offense? didnt make bad mistakes and made just enuff great plays to keep it going

no one can say a bad thing bout this win or why the team didnt deserve to win
porky88
15 years ago
I thought this was a statement win for the team.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
It's interesting, this team seems to have it's identity more and more as the weeks go along.

On offense, they are a control the clock type of team, capable of big plays but more than willing to take what the D gives them, and patiently march down the field and put up some points.

The D played with an attitude that I haven't seen in quite some time. Everyone seemed more energetic, and I can't remember how long it's been since I've seen Jolly look as good as he did this game. Also saw some energy from Barnett, his patent execution sword celebration hasn't been used in weeks.

A really fun win all around.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Even though Indianapolis is playing bad this year, I think this is a huge victory for us.

"longtimefan" wrote:

Didnt you hear?

"JNelson87" wrote:

Thank you. I don't want to hear how Indy sucks now that we beat them, when prior to the game all I heard was how they were "back". I'm getting a little weary of teams magically becoming crappy, after we beat them.

They're a good team, period. They may have had a bad day, but I'm going to respectfully suggest that the Packers had something to do with that.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (4h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (4h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (4h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (4h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (4h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (7h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (11h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (11h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.