Rockmolder
13 years ago
Packers' plethora of issues begins with lack of run game 

By Michael Lombardi

It's was fun to look into a crystal ball and predict the future, especially in the height of summer trying to figure out which team has a Super Bowl feel to it.

The Packers this summer looked super, and I had them going to the big game. Since then, though, their vaunted offense has not been as dazzling as I thought, and their defense -- which was suspect even in the summer -- has been more suspect than I once thought.

So what happened? Some might say injuries, yet even when the Packers were completely healthy their offense was not zooming along.

The first noticeable weakness in the Packers' offense is their lack of a power runner, a back who can break tackles and make those tough yards and make an opposing defense respect the run -- if even a little. The Saints, who were devastated with injuries in their backfield, found Chris Ivory to add to their already talented team. Meanwhile, the Packers placed their hopes in Brandon Jackson, who has yet to prove he is more than just a nickel runner operating best when the formation is spread.

No one watching the Packers on tape respects their running game, therefore the burden of offensive success falls squarely onto the shoulders of Aaron Rodgers. They rank 27th in rushes and completions combine, averaging slightly over 43. Part of the problem why Green Bay isn't ranked higher in this area are the drops, as the Packers average almost eight dropped passes a game, ranking 18th in the league. Last year the Packers offense averaged almost 49 rushes and completions ranking seventh in the league, and although there is only a five-play decline from a year ago, this is significant.

Losing Ryan Grant did hurt this team, and their reluctance to supplement their running game with another back affects their production. John Kuhn runs hard, but he he looks more like a West Coast fullback.

The most glaring weakness with the Packers' passing game besides the dropped passes is their inability to gain yards after the catch. There was a time when their wide receivers were the best in yards after the catch, but now they rank 18th in the NFL. They still make big plays, having 21 pass plays of more than 20 yards -- with four touchdowns -- ranking fourth, but the inability to break tackles and make the extra yards is hurting the Packers.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Which then leads to their defense, because even though the offense is not as explosive as it appeared this summer, they still rank second in the league in first-half point differential (plus 33), tied for second with Pittsburgh. Yet their defense can't seem to ever get control of the game, or increase the lead, making the one key play that can put the game away. In fact, they allow the fifth most points in the fourth quarter.

This Sunday against the Brett Favre-led Vikings, the Packers can't drop passes, they need to find a running game, and when they get the lead, put the game away with their ability to scheme and put pressure with their defense. That is the formula they need to be successful and for them to be SUPER.

PackFanWithTwins
13 years ago
One question, when was the offense Completely healthy. For that part of 1 qtr before Grant got hurt?
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
longtimefan
13 years ago
lack of run game or lack of STICKING to it?

4.6 yards per carry
K_Buz
13 years ago
I'm haven't been a big fan of BJack, but he is steadily changing my mind. Not that I think he can be a feature back, but he is doing a heck of a job. 4.6 yds/carry is more than acceptable. Our coach just needs to use the run game more.
peteralan71
13 years ago

I'm haven't been a big fan of BJack, but he is steadily changing my mind. Not that I think he can be a feature back, but he is doing a heck of a job. 4.6 yds/carry is more than acceptable. Our coach just needs to use the run game more.

"K_Buz" wrote:

4.6 ypc with 67 attempts. Without the 71 yard run a few weeks ago, he's sitting at 3.5 ypc, which I doubt many people here would be terribly pumped about. Three runs still gets you a first down, on average, but I know we'd like to see more than 3.5, so maybe the 4.6 ypc is null since it is skewed by one run.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
K_Buz
13 years ago
No, that's the nature of running backs. You can't take out the long runs because they happened.

Barry Sanders (no I am not comparing BJack to Sanders) was notorious for zero yard gains then breaking the big one. Should we take out his long runs too?

If anything, that should be encouraging that he can break a big one.
Rockmolder
13 years ago

No, that's the nature of running backs. You can't take out the long runs because they happened.

Barry Sanders (no I am not comparing BJack to Sanders) was notorious for zero yard gains then breaking the big one. Should we take out his long runs too?

"K_Buz" wrote:

I'm a littled divided on this one.

On one side, he made that long run. It might've been a little flukey if you look at the rest of his career, but it should count against his average just as well as his -2 yard runs do, which drag his YPC down.

On the other side, 67 runs isn't that big a sample. Assuming that he won't break another one and it was nothing more than getting lucky once, that one run really skews his stats and exceptations.

Thing is, you can't really say anything about it right now. Barry Sanders had 10 years to show that he could off-set those -5 yard runs with some amazing gains, cementing him as the best RB ever (suck it, Wade).

If we'll keep using him like this, he'll get 180 carries. Still not as substantial a number as most featured backs would get to, but at least you can read a bit more into that.
K_Buz
13 years ago
Here's my issue...

BJack, in his short career, hasn't been a "featured back". With Grant out, and nobody on the team besides BJack to take his place, he has to be the guy. With the exception of last week where he ran the ball 18 times and even to some extent last week too, the way McCarthy uses BJack and the run game in general is spotty at best.

There is no rhythm to the run game. How can a guy be productive when he gets one/two rushes per drive (at most)? BJack COULD raise his stats if he continued to get 15-20 rushes per game. But if the Packers continue to use him as they currently do, he won't get better.

I see it as a chicken and the egg situation. The only possible way to get productivity out of the run game is to stay with it, but we don't stay with it because it isn't that productive right now. However, the answer is simple to me. With the way Rodgers is playing scared, we NEED a running game and a short passing game to take the pressure off Aaron and the OLine.
nerdmann
13 years ago
It would be nice if this guy actually DID watch some game tape before writing this type of stupid bullshit. Bjack is doing just fine at RB. The problem is he's getting a maximum of like 10 carries per game. That and they try to run him behind Cliffy half the time.
Then he contradicts himself. Is the biggest problem the "lack of run game?" Or is it the drops? Make up your mind dude. And differentiate between lack of RB and lack of carries.
I've been saying for over a year that Jackson is better than Grant. Jackson is now getting an opportunity to prove that. Like losing Kampman last year, this actually helps us overall. Or SHOULD be, if we actually used him.
Oh yeah, the defense hasn't cost us a game yet. They seem to actually show up for 60 minutes. Sure, they had some letdowns when they lost Clay late in that game, but the score shouldn't have even been close at that stage.
Throw in some poorly timed shanked punts and it's a recipe for disaster. Wow, this article doesn't mention Special Teams. Which in our case are truly "special."
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"K_Buz" wrote:

Isn't it amazing how some people manipulate stats in their favor of their opinion?

Take this out, consider this, add that, minus this and the guy just sucks man!!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.