wils0646
13 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4714§ion_id=40 

GREEN BAY Al Harris career with the Green Bay Packers is about to come to an end.

The team plans on releasing the two-time Pro Bowl cornerback on Monday, the deadline for deciding his fate after three weeks of practicing with the team.

Yes, that is what they are going to do, Harris said in a text message late Sunday night. I lost my job to injury, but I have only good things to say about Green Bay and everyone I worked with.

Harris, who began practicing on Oct. 19, was not activated from the PUP list for the third straight eligible week, as the Packers beat the Dallas Cowboys, 45-7, without him on Sunday night.

Harris, wholl turn 36 on Dec. 7, tore the anterior cruciate ligament, the lateral collateral ligament, the IT band, the fibular collateral ligament and the lateral hamstring in his left knee and leg last Nov. 22 and underwent reconstructive surgery by team physician Pat McKenzie eight days later.

He endured a rigorous rehabilitation but missed all of training camp and was placed on the PUP to start the season.

Without him, replacement starter Tramon Williams has played at a Pro Bowl level, and undrafted rookie free agent Sam Shields has played well as the No. 3 cornerback in the nickel defense, including making his first NFL interception Sunday night.

The uncertainty of Harris future with the team was an uncomfortable subject in the Packers locker room after the game.

When asked about Harris status, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said only that We'll evaluate that tomorrow. We'll go through the film, evaluate our rosters, see these two injuries, see what happens there. We haven't made a decision on Al yet.

Safety Atari Bigby, one of Harris closest friends on the team who was activated from the PUP list and did play against the Cowboys, said Harris has been frustrated by not being cleared to play.

I spoke to Al (Friday). Its killing him, Bigby said. Hes very frustrated. Naturally anybody would be. Hes been practicing, and of course he wants to play. Its a frustrating situation for him.

I think he can definitely be a big asset to our team. But Im not the one who makes the decisions.

Asked if he thought the team might cut Harris, cornerback Charles Woodson replied, Im not going to touch that. I cant say anything about that. Because I dont know. Im going to leave that alone. Honestly.

Defensive coordinator Dom Capers also wouldnt say if the team was considering releasing Harris.

I certainly cant comment on that. Im not the head coach. Those are head-coaching decisions, Capers said. Obviously we didnt activate him tonight. Those decisions are certainly going to be Mikes decision. Well meet on Monday and decide what direction we go.

Harris joined the Packers in a March 2003 trade from the Philadelphia Eagles and has played in 102 regular-season and five postseason games for the team, registering 15 interceptions, including the 52-yard interception that he returned for a touchdown in overtime to beat the Seattle Seahawks in the 2003 NFC Wild Card playoffs at Lambeau Field.

Last week, he said that whenever his time with the Packers came to an end, he had enjoyed his time in Green Bay.

Its been an awesome, awesome ride. Will I play again? Yes. I just have to wait it out, see how it goes, he said. I dont know how its going to go. Well just wait and see.

Great, great player for us for many years. Sad to see him go...
The Pack Will Be Back.
evad04
13 years ago
Man. I'm riding the high from the win, and this news makes me sad. I don't necessarily think it is the wrong decision. But it makes me sad nonetheless.

I've been waiting to bust out my Al Harris jersey for when he made his return. Looks like I won't be able to to that.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
Wow, I did not expect this at all.

Good player for us, tough great press-man corner.

I'm not sure what this means: the Packers don't think Al can come back from this injury or they don't think he can come back this year. They could put him on IR, and that they choose to release him might mean they think he is done. Can't say anything for sure, but I'm very surprised by this development.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Chutzpah515
13 years ago
This is a damn shame. On top of being a stand up guy, he was one of the better shutdown corners in the league, playing with unequaled intensity. Over coming two tears in his knee at the age of 35, did seem too good to be true though. As said by others already, for the team to release him outright most likely marks the end of his NFL career.

I hate to see great players get forced out by injury. (Sharp... :crybaby: )
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
I really don't get this at all.

Is Brandon Underwood really better than Al Harris is?

1. Maybe he's just not healthy. There are times when the player disagrees with the team. Perhaps this is the case.

2. Maybe he doesn't want to play No. 3 to Williams and Woodson. He's not a starter on this team anymore.

This is shocking stuff.
nerdmann
13 years ago

I really don't get this at all.

Is Brandon Underwood really better than Al Harris is?

1. Maybe he's just not healthy. There are times when the player disagrees with the team. Perhaps this is the case.

2. Maybe he doesn't want to play No. 3 to Williams and Woodson. He's not a starter on this team anymore.

This is shocking stuff.

"porky88" wrote:

Doesn't shock me, it was brought up earlier tonight. Freaky, but it is what it is. The younger guys play special teams and have more upside. Al's nearing the end.
He'll be a Viking by Wednesday.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
blueleopard
13 years ago
Great. He's gonna wear purple..
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
doddpower
13 years ago
It's gotta be a health issue.

If he doesn't catch on somewhere this season, maybe we give him a shot again next year to prove he's healthy. Although, all the talent we have may have sealed his fate. Bittersweet, I guess.
Chutzpah515
13 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

They do have a need at CB.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

This scares me, because the Vikings could use better CBs.

However, Harris is made for press-man schemes (like the Jets). He'd be manhandled if asked to play traditional Cover 2 coverage... surely the Vikes realize this?

That's about the last place I want to see him end up. I am still surprised by this move - the JS reported Friday night that rumours were Lee's ankle injury was serious enough to have him put on IR. We could use a CB, especially since we're one injury from Bush / Underwood playing big roles as Nickle backs.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.