Pack93z
13 years ago
Personally I think the areas they cut and pasted in the SB decor were worse then the remainder of the field.

Personally.. I was not impress with the field from the TV vantage point and I will admit, I was a bit giddy that Jones week hosting the Superbowl was filled with struggles. Some he could control, some he couldn't with the weather.

But from the seating issue (which should have been wrapped up well before game time) to sound issues in the stadium.. couldn't happen to a better gent.

In a survey  conducted by the National Football League Players Asscoiation, the playing surface at Cowboys Stadium ranked fifth among the 13 artificial-turf fields in the NFL.

According to the NFLPA, a total of 1,619 playes particiapted in the survey. They ranked Indianapolis as having the best turf field, with Minnesota ranked last in the category. In the category of grass fields, Arizona received the top grade, with Pittsburgh ranked last.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

The turf needs to have more give in it so injuries like that (or worse yet, concussions) aren't an absolute certainty.

"mi_keys" wrote:

The research indicates that concussions and ligament tears are actually more common on natural surfaces, while abrasions and muscular pulls are more common on the field turf.

Are y'all really complaining about this?

"rabidgopher4" wrote:

Please don't tell me you're seriously making the argument that winning invalidates all possible complaints.

Maybe there was nothing wrong with the playing surface. Maybe guys were just a little overexcited by the magnitude of the game, so they spun their wheels a bit. To me, it looked more like stumbling than sliding.

"Greg C." wrote:

I could buy that argument for the first quarter, but not as the game wore on and the sliding continued. Guys tend to settle down after the first few minutes of excitement, or at least, that's always been my experience when I'm in the middle of a big event. It looked to me more like slipping than stumbling. On ESPN America they showed some closeups where their feet were skidding from under them.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
13 years ago

The turf needs to have more give in it so injuries like that (or worse yet, concussions) aren't an absolute certainty.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The research indicates that concussions and ligament tears are actually more common on natural surfaces, while abrasions and muscular pulls are more common on the field turf.

"mi_keys" wrote:

Ligament tears I can see as from my experience people wear longer cleats and that might make it more likely to get their feet caught and twisted.

The concussions I find a little surprising. Does the research you speak of break down which grass fields are more common for concussions and when in the season they occur. Maybe it has something to do with freezing temperatures with grass fields being more common outside and field turf more common inside? I don't know, I could be (and probably am) wrong and my post last night was partly in drunken frustration at losing those guys.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I posted a link to the research a few days ago in another thread. I'll see if I can dig it up.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
13 years ago

I posted a link to the research a few days ago in another thread. I'll see if I can dig it up.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Which thread? I would like to see this.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Turns out I hadn't actually posted a link to the research, but here  is a description of it.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago

Are y'all really complaining about this? I didn't really notice any problems and besides, the Packers won! It's their 20th game this year, guys are bound to get hurt. Also, the stadium cost $1.2 billion, not $2 billion. Not-so-perfect conditions are part of the game. Anyone heard of/remember the Ice Bowl?

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

Gee, clearly nothing bad could come from Woodson or Driver's injuries. What if that makes the difference between them coming back for another year or deciding to call it quits while they're ahead and don't have a major injury? Winning is everything, but we still need to win next year and both of these players would be sorely missed.
mi_keys
13 years ago

Turns out I hadn't actually posted a link to the research, but here  is a description of it.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Thanks, that's a good find and some interesting stuff. They mentioned at the end that field turf had a significantly higher incidence of injury on warm days (over 70 degrees) than did natural surfaces. Since the two surfaces had similar overall rates I'm guessing the inverse happened. If I get some time this week I might try and hunt down the original report at the UW library or on their online system.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (22h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.