IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Aaron Nagler 

Longtime readers of Cheesehead TV know how I feel about the practice of grading drafts immediately after they conclude.

However, as CHTV has grown in readership over the years, I find myself being asked via email and Twitter to grade not only the Packers' draft but to give my "Winners & Losers".

Here goes.

The only losers are the guys and gals whose editors demand they provide draft grades and "Winners and Losers" the day after the draft.

From my original post on the subject:

"Why is it that people feel compelled to 'grade' the draft less than 24 hours after it's completion? It is such an amazing exercise in futility, I simply can't believe people A) Write them and 😎 Read them.

My favorite is the "I don't like to give out grades, but if I HAD to..." which is truly the worst of the whole grading phenomenon. Look, you're wasting time as it is, but at least grab the bull by the horns and declare "THIS IS MY GRADE FOR THE PACKERS DRAFT!"

Man up and admit you're dying to give a grade, despite the fact you KNOW it's complete bullshit. That's right, bullshit.

Come on, people. We're smarter than this. Grades are for the fools at the draft who boo Thompson and the idiots who watch SportsCenter. It's time to evolve..."

I understand - it's football. We are programmed to expect a winner and a loser. We want to know our team improved over the course of the last three days.

But there simply is no way of knowing how any of these guys are going to pan out until we let the next few years unfold. Draft classes that look weak now could end up being goldmines of talent. Draft day hauls being praised by Mel Kiper today can turn out to be the worst class a team has ever had.

The grading of the draft is simply an exercise in futility.

Rockmolder
13 years ago
So are mock drafts.

Or pre-season predictions.

Or half-way predictions.

Or predicting who will go to the SB before the NFCCG.

But I like how Aaron always phrases his articles in ways that you either agree with him or are less than him.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Good comical article there.

I've always stated you can't accurately give a drafted player, or overall draft a grade until three years have exceeded. I stand by that, even though I think reading some of the grades is interesting to get others opinions on the players and collection of drafted players by a team.

I don't see the reason for whining about those ink up draft grades, other than the person not having enough happy things to do in their own lives they have to try and put others down so they feel better.

I had thought we evolved into being better people than that.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
When you go into a draft, you are basing this on the knowledge that you have AT THAT TIME. Ted Thompson does this better than everyone.
Here are things you can grade: Did they reach for players? No. They did not trade up to get a punter in the third round, like Sherman did. Does Ted Thompson have an excellent track record at finding solid players who are not busts? YES. Therefore we can trust that he's going to find some good players, including the patented "TT gems" toward the end of the draft and ufa.
They ONLY problem Ted Thompson has had is with injuries. Now with Justin Harrell, there was a history of injuries there, and Ted Thompson gambled. With players like Terrence Murphy and Gerry Berry, these guys were looking like future stars when unexpected injuries occured.
Is Ted Thompson perfect? NO, but close imo. He doesn't reach for players at need positions or waste picks trading up to do so. Just compare Ted and Mike Sherman.
We can also judge whether these players are likely to help the team, based upon the depth we have at their positions.
Judging by all of this, I think this draft is fucking awesome.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
doddpower
13 years ago

I don't see the reason for whining about those ink up draft grades, other than the person not having enough happy things to do in their own lives they have to try and put others down so they feel better.

I had thought we evolved into being better people than that.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

for that sir. Sure, it's different if one is getting paid to write such things, otherwise, get over it. It's just something to read in a boring ass period. Just because some schmuck writes something doesn't mean anything. If one doesn't want to read them, don't pay attention to it. Most of us are WELL aware that a writers opinion has no meaning to the actual "grade" of the player. Just something to burn a little free time on.
porky88
13 years ago
People read draft grades, so the sites give out draft grades. If people didn't care what others though about their team, the traffic wouldn't be there then.
doddpower
13 years ago

People read draft grades, so the sites give out draft grades. If people didn't care what others though about their team, the traffic wouldn't be there then.

"porky88" wrote:

Definitely. I read them sometimes. I could care less what letter grade they give them or whatever other system they use. I just like to read comments about how well they think the individuals will fit into our system and where they originally thought the player should be drafted. It's especially interesting to look back on 2-4 years later, especially if the player completely proved many wrong.
GoPack1984
13 years ago
I'm sick of hearing people whine about draft grades. If you don't like them, don't read them. In the meantime don't spoil the fun for the rest of us who like to read them just out of interest. As Zero alluded to, I think most of us understand that it is impossible to give out meaningful grades on draft classes until a few years have passed. However, they still make for interesting reading and discussion.
blank
IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

it is impossible to give out meaningful grades on draft classes until a few years have passed.

"GoPack1984" wrote:

doddpower
13 years ago

it is impossible to give out meaningful grades on draft classes until a few years have passed.

"IronMan" wrote:

"GoPack1984" wrote:

As has been said, that's absolutely rhetorical to at least 95% of those reading such things.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9h / Around The NFL / wpr

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.