macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/green-bay-packers-ted-thompson-mike-mccarthy-look-towards-future-offseason-review-051811 

Adam Caplan

Pre-draft needs

DE, G (depth), OLB (depth)

Draft class

Round 1: Derek Sherrod/OT
Round 2: Randall Cobb/WR
Round 3: Alex Green/RB
Round 4: Davon House/CB
Round 5: D.J. Williams/TE
Round 6: Caleb Schlauderaff/G
Round 6: D.J. Smith/LB
Round 6: Ricky Elmore/LB
Round 7: Ryan Taylor/FB-TE
Round 7: Lawrence Guy/DT

Potential free agents of note

Brandon Jackson/RB
John Kuhn/FB
Korey Hall/FB
James Jones/WR
Mason Crosby/K
Jason Spitz/G-C
Daryn Colledge/G
Cullen Jenkins/DE
Atari Bigby/SS

Post-draft needs

DE, G (depth)

Analysis

The rich get richer. That should be the moniker the Packers earned with the results of their 2011 draft class. The defending Super Bowl champions didn’t come into the draft with a lot of needs, but they were able to address depth at several positions.

Their already great offense added left tackle Derek Sherrod, who figures to be the long-term replacement for starter Chad Clifton, whose contract expires after the 2012 season. With Sherrod on the roster, Bryan Bulaga can remain at right tackle for the long haul.

While the selection of wide receiver Randall Cobb might have been a small surprise considering Green Bay’s solid depth at the position, fifth-year pro James Jones is unsigned and might not return if he’s deemed an unrestricted free agent once free agency starts. Plus, veteran wide receiver Donald Driver’s contract is up after 2012, and he’ll be 38 when it expires.

One of the traits that makes executive vice president, general manager and football operations Ted Thompson great is that he always is looking ahead. The selections of Cobb and Sherrod are good examples of that.

And another selection that screams of looking ahead is the pick of Alex Green in the third round. With fifth-year running back Brandon Jackson possibly leaving as an unrestricted free agent, Green's addition will provide depth this season. And with veteran Ryan Grant’s contract up after this season, Green’s role could expand down the road.

The guard position potentially could be an issue should starter Daryn Colledge leave via free agency. While the team is high on second-year guards Nick McDonald and Marshall Newhouse, it could be a stretch for them to start considering neither played a down as rookies.

The selection of tight end D.J. Williams might have shocked some, but starter Jermichael Finley is coming off major knee surgery and is contract is up after this season. Plus, the team released veteran Donald Lee earlier this year, which left a depth opening at the position.

The Packers' biggest need coming into the draft was at defensive end. And it still remains a huge since none of the 10 selected players can play there. If the team loses veteran Cullen Jenkins in free agency, the coaches might need to look at a committee of players to fill his void.

The team might be counting on sixth-round pick Ricky Elmore to make a contribution as a rookie, but the team should be fine at outside linebacker with Brad Jones returning from injury. Erik Walden, who was signed as a street free agent last season and Frank Zombo, who signed as an undrafted free agent last year, did a nice job filling in for the injured Jones.

The selection of cornerback Davon House in the fourth round represents another value selection for the Packers. House, who had a higher grade from other teams, dropped a bit because of his struggles during senior season. But House played the entire season with a bad ankle injury. His junior tape was very solid, which is why many teams gave him a higher grade in the first place. The speedy defensive back could compete for a starting job whenever veteran Charles Woodson decides to retire.

FoxSports.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (10h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.