macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110602/PKR01/110602130/Private-Super-Bowl-ring-ceremony-nothing-new-Packers-say?odyssey=tab |topnews|img|FRONTPAGE

The Green Bay Packers’ decision to hold a private ceremony to distribute Super Bowl XLV rings to players, coaches and members of the organization is consistent with what the team did after it won Super Bowl XXXI, a team spokesman said Thursday.

“We relied on past practices,” Aaron Popkey said. “But it’s intended to be a private event.”

The ring ceremony will be held June 16 at the Lambeau Field Atrium, but details of the program and who will attend aren’t being announced. The Atrium will close to the public at 4 p.m. that day.

Following the Packers’ Super Bowl victory after the 1996 season, the team held a private event at the Oneida Golf & Country Club in Green Bay, with defensive end Reggie White and defensive coordinator Fritz Shurmur meeting with the media to display the ring.

The Packers held a Super Bowl celebration for the public two days after their Super Bowl XLV victory and plan to have a recognition ceremony when they host the New Orleans Saints in the regular-season opener at Lambeau Field on Sept. 8.

Images of the Super Bowl XLV ring will be available on the Packers’ website on the night of June 16. Super Bowl rings also will be displayed in the Packers Hall of Fame after the ring ceremony, Popkey said.

The Packers received permission from the NFL to hold the ring ceremony despite the unresolved labor dispute.

GreenBayPressGazette wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I just read this on PFT. I'm not sure why folks think they "deserve" to see the ceremony. Sure, it'd be nice. I just don't think it's worth a uproar.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
12 years ago

I just read this on PFT. I'm not sure why folks think they "deserve" to see the ceremony. Sure, it'd be nice. I just don't think it's worth a uproar.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree. It would be nice, but not that big of a deal.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Well, you'd invite us all to your wedding, won't you? 😇
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Well, you'd invite us all to your wedding, won't you? 😇

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

This will sound bad.

Marriage isn't a career achievement that not many get to achieve with several dozen fellow teammates.
UserPostedImage
SINCITYCHEEZE
12 years ago
Can anyone else recall if how a team received their rings has ever been an issue? I looked around the net and could'nt find anything.Could this ruckus be caused by lockout boredom from the media.I'm sure the "Private" ceremony will be recorded for posterity.It will probably end up as an extra feature on some future Packer D.V.D..
Just for the record,I could give a rats ass about how they get their rings.The PACK gave me all I could ever need or want with the Victory over the bears in the N.F.C. Championship game.Ownage of all bear fans for the rest of my natural life.Kinda makes up for all the Smack Sandwiches I had to eat back in the old days living on the Wis/Ill border.Course we lived on the good side.😂
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
StoicFire
12 years ago

Could this ruckus be caused by lockout boredom from the media.I'm sure the "Private" ceremony will be recorded for posterity.It will probably end up as an extra feature on some future Packer D.V.D.

Originally Posted by: SINCITYCHEEZE 

I think this is probably the case, and a good insight. I'm just glad that they are finally going to get their rings... I found it upsetting that they couldn't have a ring ceremony or visit the Whitehouse as a result of the lockout, so I say about damn time.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
longtimefan
12 years ago
Why is the OP has a blinking link? Looks crazy!!

I heard some people speculate that not all players could not make it there....

But one would think this is why they play, to get that ring!!! Speculation I heard at WSSP is that maybe 25 wont show up...

Why? There is plenty of time to arrange travel, (unless they have a vacation planned at that time)

Hope they take video and post it at some point
macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
I don't know if it's a slow news period, or just the media being the media. They won't let it go until the Packers change the decision and the media can declare victory.

I have no problem with the team keeping the ring ceremony within the small community of coaches and players who were directly involved. Not everything needs to be open to the public. We'll have opportunities to cheer the team.

Below is another article trying to stir the pot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820278a9/article/packers-private-ceremony-doesnt-have-nice-ring-to-it-for-fans 

Packers' private ceremony doesn't have nice ring to it for fans

by Vic Carucci

The uproar from Green Bay Packers fans over the team's plans to keep its June 16 Super Bowl ring-presentation ceremony private is hardly a surprise.

Packers fans aren't just fans. Many are shareholders and, consequently, feel entitled to be a part of certain "official" team functions, especially those of the celebratory variety. To them, the ring ceremony isn't a whole lot different than attending the annual shareholders meeting, such as the one held last summer at Lambeau Field.

But to the Packers, it is very different. To the Packers, it is supposed to be something that only players, coaches and front-office staff members should share together without the presence of anyone who isn't part of the "family" as it exists inside the confines of the team facility. They're citing "past practices" as a reason to go with the private ceremony.

This likely wouldn't be an issue if it came up with the 31 other teams that operate as private businesses.

The Packers have an issue. It might not be a big one, but it exists because of their unique situation. For instance, there is nothing else in the NFL -- or any sports league, for that matter -- like the Packers' shareholders meeting. Shareholding fans gather in the stadium to hear from team president and CEO Mark Murphy, general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy, who are on a stage in the middle of the field.

The team's decision-makers don't reveal any trade secrets, but the mere presentation is enough to make the shareholders -- many of whom arrive early in the morning and tailgate as if they're awaiting the kickoff of a game -- feel special. I realize that the team wants the players, coaches and staff members who will receive rings to feel special, too, and that privacy might help ensure as much.

Still, there's a part of me that also wonders, particularly during these frustrating times of lockout limbo, if it would have been possible to at least involve the shareholders so they could feel that added sense of attachment to their favorite team.

NFL.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I don't know if it's a slow news period, or just the media being the media. They won't let it go until the Packers change the decision and the media can declare victory.

I have no problem with the team keeping the ring ceremony within the small community of coaches and players who were directly involved. Not everything needs to be open to the public. We'll have opportunities to cheer the team.

Below is another article trying to stir the pot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820278a9/article/packers-private-ceremony-doesnt-have-nice-ring-to-it-for-fans 

Originally Posted by: macbob 

Hasn't every team who has won held a private ring ceremony?

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (16h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
6h / Random Babble / Novalee

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.