Pack93z
12 years ago
It might be just I, but the way the Packers utilized the receivers last season, basically all guys could fill all slots, does it really matter whom gets the token award as a "starter"?

We as a society get way to hung up on labels.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
12 years ago

It might be just I, but the way the Packers utilized the receivers last season, basically all guys could fill all slots, does it really matter whom gets the token award as a "starter"?

We as a society get way to hung up on labels.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

This.

We pretty much rotate so there's no such thing as a true #1,#2,#3, etc. All of them know all the positions. Nobody is a "slot WR" because everyone plays it. Everyone splits out. Everyone runs deep routes.
Mike McCarthy relies on a lot of unpredictability in the passing game, and this is a good thing. Our system needs a smart QB who can determine which receiver to hit. There is no true "go to" guy.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
beast
12 years ago

1: When Ted Thompson came in, he had to clean house of all the "Favre Loyalists." These were the guys (William Henderson for instance)

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You're joking right? ... When Thompson came in the Packers were over the cap number so he had to cut some guys and not resign some guys but after that he's kept the good vets (other than Favre, as there would of been too much drama around that).

As for Henderson he was on the decline and he couldn't mentally figure out zone blocking. In zone blocking the FB has to watch, read and adjust to the defense just like the RB does... but Henderson couldn't learn that after being used to power blocking his whole career which just ask you to track one guy and take him out... and they still kept him around for a year in it while cutting FB Vonta Leach which has become the best zone blocking FB in the NFL.

Favre wanted Ted Thompson to sign Randy Moss and mortgage the future to make an immediate run. Ted Thompson didn't want to do that.

Moss has stated Thompson called him while he was with the Raiders, as Thompson was interested in getting Moss, but Moss said Thompson was telling him he would have to behave with the Packers and follow Drivers lead when he got annoyed and hung up on Thompson.

Which is one reason DD is still the "starter." This is also why they asked Tauscher to stay in GB and travel with the team last year.

Driver is the starter because he was getting 1,000 yards season for years while only Jennings has beat him out of the top WR positions.

I don't know for sure why Tausher was asked to stay but I think it speaks volumes that after Tausher wasn't signed to start the season with the Packers, he was the one to step up and publicly speak for the OL in the players meeting after the lost to the then winless Bucs. So Tausher very well could be the leader of the OL and that's why they asked him to stick around.

And there are rumors the Packers are interested in Tausher as a possible coach. He could of been coaching some when he was asked to stick around, after put on IR.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
I was going to say no and leave it at that.
They run so many 3-4 WR sets it doesn't matter.
Donald may well be the starter but if Jordy is having a good day he may get more plays.
I also hate to see Driver's reps decreased without giving him the chance to prove himself. He will do fine this year.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Given my recent success predicting players not to live up to expectations (Al Harris, Aaron Kampman, Atari Bigby, etc.), I am going to predict that Donald Driver will regress further this year. I don't know if it will be Jordy Nelson who steps up to take his place, but I do believe Driver's days are numbered. He's just lucky there are so many nostalgic fans that like him so much.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
Sure Donald's days are numbered. Every players days are numbered. But that does not mean he won't be a productive player for GB this season. (I will worry about next season later.) When this year is over he will be #3 overall in yards/TD/receptions/first down catches. Behind Jennings and Finley. Nostalgia has noting to do with it. He can still play. Period. You can take that to the bank.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago

Sure Donald's days are numbered. Every players days are numbered. But that does not mean he won't be a productive player for GB this season. (I will worry about next season later.) When this year is over he will be #3 overall in yards/TD/receptions/first down catches. Behind Jennings and Finley. Nostalgia has noting to do with it. He can still play. Period. You can take that to the bank.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I believe he can still be an OK player when healthy. However, I am skeptical that he will be healthy for much of the season therefore limiting any value I can "take to the bank."

I hope I'm wrong, but something tells me I'm probably not, at least not entirely. Hoping otherwise is just wishful thinking for a player of his age and recent history, in my opinion. Especially with the beating the guy usually takes across the middle.
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Given my recent success predicting players not to live up to expectations (Al Harris, Aaron Kampman, Atari Bigby, etc.), I am going to predict that Donald Driver will regress further this year. I don't know if it will be Jordy Nelson who steps up to take his place, but I do believe Driver's days are numbered. He's just lucky there are so many nostalgic fans that like him so much.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

That's an easy prediction. Kind of like predicting fighting in the Middle East. ;)

RBs tail off at 30. WRs later, but Driver's reached that point. My guess is statistically, he'll be #4 of our WRs. A dang good #4, but still #4 behind Gregorious, Jordy, and Cobb. JJ will be gone.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

JJ will be gone.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Here I disagree... Jones will be back.. he is better than most give him credit for.. needs to tighten up the focus. That is unless he becomes unaffordable.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Here I disagree... Jones will be back.. he is better than most give him credit for.. needs to tighten up the focus. That is unless he becomes unaffordable.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Hey, I want him to succeed on the Packers. Just not getting my hopes up. The Playoffs killed it for me.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (2h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (5h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.