longtimefan
12 years ago
Doesnt surprise me about JJ..My brother had a friend who passed away and they got a box in Lambaeu to have a little ceramony...There was some extra money raised and they donated it to JJ charity..He came to the funeral and gave a speech

He talked to lot of people there and all had good things to say about him

Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
Most of the WRs were at the Touchdowns for Hope event last year. Jennings was donating the resources of his foundation. Jones, Driver and Nelson were there. Along with Rodgers, Matthews, Hawk, Collins and a few others. They were spending their own money on auction items.

I was impressed at how much support they gave. They were some of the last ones to leave.

The NFL needs to get it together or they aren't going to have a very good turn out without players this year. The House of Hope needs the money.

Their focus is to take unwed mothers who are out of high school and teach them the skills they would need to stay off public assistance. Try to break the cycle of young girls having babies and living on welfare all their lives.

My point is that we have some really great guys playing football here.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
macbob
12 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/06%2F28%2F11_Jones%3A_%27I%27m_going_to_be_on_somebody%27s_team%27/14?feed=2 

Jones: 'I'm going to be on somebody's team'

By JASON WILDE

GREEN BAY – When you’ve lived the life James Jones has lived – and overcome the hardships he’s overcome – a little uncertainty about your NFL employment future isn’t all that difficult to endure.

Especially when, as the Green Bay Packers free-agent wide receiver pointed out Tuesday, you know if you’re going to have a job, you just don’t know where.

“To be honest, I just approach it as, I’m just truly blessed that after the lockout, I’m going to be on somebody’s team – whether it’s the Packers or any other team,” Jones said during a visit to Green and Gold Today on ESPNMilwaukee.com and ESPNMadison.com Tuesday morning. “There’s a lot of people out there that when the lockout’s off, they don’t know if they’re going to be able to play football. I know when the lockout’s over, I’m going to be able to play football. And that’s all I can ask for. I love Green Bay, I love playing football, so wherever it’s at, I’m just going to have some fun.”

The odds of Jones – a 2007 third-round pick who has had his share of ups and downs in his time in Green Bay – returning to the Packers when free agency opens appear somewhat remote. With the free agency rules expected to return to the 2009 guidelines – granting Jones unrestricted status as a four-year veteran – once the lockout is resolved, it seems likely that a receiver-poor team will pay him significant money and give him a chance to start.

In 65 career games and 18 starts (including playoffs), Jones has caught 166 passes for 2,305 yards and 16 touchdowns. Last season was his most productive, with 50 catches for 679 yards and five touchdowns in 16 regular-season games and 11 catches for 144 yards and two touchdowns in the Packers’ four postseason games, including Super Bowl XLV.

But with Jordy Nelson’s late-season emergence and impending free agency after the 2011 season, along with the selection of receiver/returner Randall Cobb in the second round of the April draft and Pro Bowl receiver Greg Jennings only signed through 2012, it’s doubtful the Packers would get into a bidding war for Jones, even if 36-year-old veteran Donald Driver is in decline. Plus, Jones is one of a dozen Packers free agents, and the team won’t be able to re-sign everyone.

And Jones understands that. Having spent much of his childhood living in homeless shelters, Jones has always kept football in perspective. Whether it’s been after crucial dropped passes of potential touchdowns or his contract situation, he takes his job seriously but also is one of the locker room’s happy-go-lucky players and has shown a propensity for bouncing back after mistakes.

“When you grow up in homeless shelters, your life isn’t always peaches and cream. You go through a lot of ups and downs, and you learn how to handle situations,” Jones said. “You know that in life, it’s not always going to be perfect, and in football it’s not always going to be perfect. And you’ve got to get up and do it again and keep on working. That’s how I live my life. With football, I may drop a ball, but I’ll come back and keep on fighting.

“Bad things are going to happen in your career. If you’re a quarterback, you’re going to throw some interceptions; if you’re a running back, you’re going to fumble; if you’re a receiver, you’re going to drop some balls. But you have to get up and keep fighting.”

Jones’ childhood experience also influences his off-the-field work. As part of the foundation he founded with his wife Tamika, Love Jones 4 Kids, he holds a free football camp in San Jose, Calif., every offseason. Last weekend, more than 200 kids took part in the camp, which Jones has financed himself each of its three years.

“When I first got in the league, I made an emphasis on giving back,” Jones said. “Everybody in the National Football League is blessed with a unique talent to be able to play this game, but I believe it’s bigger than that. You’ve got to get out there and help people. Not just dish out money, but be hands-on and be a part of the kids’ lives and change some lives.

“It’s a free football camp, because the way I grew up, living in homeless shelters and things like that, my mother never had money to pay for me to go to a camp. If she did have money, it was for us to survive. I always said if I made it, anything I’d do would be free.”

Jones intends to continue that approach, whether it’s in Green Bay or elsewhere. And while he doesn’t know where that’ll be, he knows this: He’s ready for a bigger role as a starter.

“I definitely feel like I’m ready,” Jones said. “I work hard. I’m just hoping for the opportunity, whether it’s in green bay or somewhere else. I feel like I have the ability to be one of those guys, to be a starter. I’m just excited about the opportunity, wherever it might be.”

And if that’s not in Green Bay, Jones said the excitement of winning Super Bowl XLV with Jennings, Driver, Nelson and quarterback Aaron Rodgers won’t necessarily make moving on easier.

“I wouldn’t say that. I’m real close with those dudes. We’ve become a family; we’ve built a lot of great friendships,” Jones said. “If I was to go, it definitely would be hard because those dudes are like brothers to me.

“It’s not going to be easy. I’m glad we were able to do it together, win a Super Bowl, if I was to go. We were able to share that together. But it would be hard. But we all understand it’s a business, we all have families we have to take care of. If I’m blessed to stay in Green Bay, I’m blessed to stay there. And if I’m blessed to go somewhere else, I’m just happy to play football.”

Listen to Jason Wilde every weekday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. on “Green & Gold Today,” and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonjwilde.

540ESPNMilwaukee wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.