macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Another Packer's People story for you, VR...

http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/07%2F07%2F11_Packers_take_time_to_help_sick_kids/17 

GREEN BAY -- Soon, our attention will turn back to football, as it should. The lockout will end – NFL owners and players could reach an agreement as soon as this week – and the game will again be top of mind. Free-agent movement and training-camp position battles will dominate the headlines. Sports-talk conversations will focus on debating and second-guessing decisions and breaking down critical game-turning plays.

Since the lockout began on March 11, the headlines have been dominated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith, back-and-forth sniping from both sides and enough legalese to make you thankful you decided against law school. And amid all the lockout noise, you may have missed two smaller stories involving Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy and quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

While what they did didn’t command the same acclaim that leading the Packers to the Super Bowl XLV title in February did, their off-the-field work was even more important to sick kids in Wisconsin.

Rodgers, the Super Bowl MVP who teamed up with Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer two years ago, held his annual fundraising event, “An Evening With Aaron Rodgers,” at the Hyatt Regency in Milwaukee, with the event raising $230,000 for the MACC Fund’s work to cure childhood cancer and blood disorders. And McCarthy, who led his team to the franchise’s fourth Super Bowl title despite losing 16 players to season-ending injured reserve, played host to the second annual Mike and Jessica McCarthy Golf Tournament at Bishops Bay Country Club in Middleton to benefit the American Family Children’s Hospital at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. While final numbers weren’t available, organizers expected the event to raise in excess of $100,000.

“We feel that we’ve got a chance to make an impact,” McCarthy said. “And we’re doing the best that we can.”

Winning a Super Bowl does wonders for one’s Q rating. Rodgers, for instance, has appeared on CBS’s Late Show with David Letterman, Ellen DeGeneres’ show Ellen, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live and is up for the Best Male Athlete award at ESPN’s annual awards show, the ESPYs, next week. McCarthy has picked his spots with his newfound celebrity, but both men said they’re excited to use their greater name recognition to help Wisconsin kids.

“That's what this is all about, making a difference," Rodgers said. “When you accomplish what you set out to – winning the Super Bowl, a goal I had since I was a little kid – you start to look at the big picture. How can you make a difference? And for me, the MACC Fund is a tangible way that I can make a difference by lending my support, my name.”

The MACC Fund has contributed $40 million to pediatric cancer and blood disorder research since former Milwaukee Bucks player Jon McGlocklin and announcer Eddie Doucette founded the organization in 1976. Its work benefits research at the Medical College of Wisconsin, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and the University of Wisconsin while also supporting the families of children battling cancer.

Rodgers also took part in the third annual Andy North and Friends golf fundraiser at Trappers Turn Golf Club and the Kalahari Resort in the Wisconsin Dells last month. Hosted by North, the two-time U.S. Open Champion and ESPN golf analyst, the event raised a record $910,000 for the UW Carbone Cancer Center. Rodgers also has several other fundraising events with the MACC Fund on his calendar the rest of the year.

“I’m going to align myself, as I do with the MACC Fund, with things that really share my same vision and heart. So I’m going to be very selective but make the most of those opportunities,” Rodgers said. “Because I have a greater influence, I can make a bigger impact, and I have a bigger voice because of the platform I’ve been given. Finding exactly what those causes are and lending myself to them is something I’m going to continue to do.”

Stories about professional athletes and coaches doing good deeds off the field can sometimes be difficult for reporters. Some are met with a healthy dose of cynicism, thought to be done for the public-relations boost. Others, when done for a players’ own foundation, raise questions about how much money actually reaches the supposed beneficiaries.

Anyone who saw Rodgers with MACC Fund kids Jack Bartosz Emilie Janzen at a Milwaukee Wave professional indoor soccer game in March (and again with Jack at the May event), or saw McCarthy carrying the Vince Lombardi Super Bowl trophy and George Halas NFC Championship trophy from room to room while visiting with kids at the hospital last month can vouch for how much each man was affected by the children they encountered.

"The families of these kids are incredible, what they have to deal with," Rodgers said. "(The MACC Fund) is an organization I enjoy working with and will continue to for a long time."

When Rodgers first got involved with the MACC Fund, he said he was in it “for the long haul.” McCarthy and his wife, Jessica, said they plan on taking the same approach with American Family Children’s Hospital.

“We came down here two years ago on a visit. After walking the halls that day, we knew this is where we wanted to make our connection,” McCarthy said. “It’s something that Jessica and I wanted to do together. I’m fortunate to have a lot of opportunities through the Green Bay Packers to be involved in a number of different charity events, but we wanted something that was specific to our family and something that we could continue to grow with our kids. And hopefully this can be (that) charity.

“This event is something that’s very special to us. Short-term, we want to raise as much money as possible. Long-term, we look for this to be a legacy charity for our family.”

ESPN540Milwaukee wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Another Packer's People story for you, VR...

http://espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/07%2F07%2F11_Packers_take_time_to_help_sick_kids/17 

Originally Posted by: macbob 

Easy there, he's not familiar with acts of kindness from his teams players. 🙂 BUT he's excellent on exaggerating minor things Packer players did, even if it was YEARS after they were a Packer, or they never played another down after convicted!!!](*,)

I do like these kinds of stories and wish more and more would arise.
UserPostedImage
macbob
  • macbob
12 years ago

Easy there, he's not familiar with acts of kindness from his teams players. 🙂

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I didn't mean it to sound harsh. Should have put a smiley after it. I know VR is just yanking our chains, and meant this to be in the same vein back.

I'm sure he's searching the internet right now in desperate search for a story on some former Packer arrested for jaywalking... 🙄
UserPostedImage
vikesrule
12 years ago

Easy there, he's not familiar with acts of kindness from his teams players. 🙂 ..
I do like these kinds of stories and wish more and more would arise.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Pfft..you're such a Zero sometimes, with your cheesehead rationalizations for some Packer players misbehavior.
You minimize Mark Chmura's actions, yet I would bet that you would not want him to hire your daughter as a baby sitter.

And macbob, as long as it is just my chain that you're yanking...not a problem.😉

However, I too respect when players of any team do good work with kids and community, to give back and support.

As to your absurd (but typical) comment about Vikings players...........

Vikings safety Williams is the 2010 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year 
Few NFL players are as involved in the community as Madieu Williams. Now the Minnesota Vikings' free safety has earned the league's highest community honor.

Williams is the 2010 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year, the league announced before the Super Bowl on Sunday.

A seven-year veteran, Williams -- who will receive $20,000 toward his favorite charity -- was unavailable to accept the award because he was visiting U.S. service members in the Persian Gulf.

"It is a tremendous honor to win this award named after Walter Payton, one of the greatest men to ever play in the National Football League," Williams said in a statement released by the Vikings. I'm sorry I couldn't be there to accept the award, but it's an even greater honor to be here in Iraq with Task Force Iron Horse on a goodwill tour watching the Super Bowl with our troops."

Williams is the second Vikings player to earn the award since its inception in 1970, joining Cris Carter (1999). It recognizes off-the-field community service as well as playing excellence.

Though Williams struggled on the field, his community contributions were too strong to overlook. Most notable, he donated $2 million to create the Madieu Williams Center for Global Health at his alma mater, the University of Maryland, to focus on public health issues in Prince George's County and Sierra Leone, where Williams was born.

Williams also built a school in his homeland, with another in the works. And his foundation sponsored a mission to Sierra Leone than flew American teachers, dentists and surgeons to help the school and provide free medical care.

"It is a tremendous honor that Madieu has been named the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year," said Vikings coach Leslie Frazier, who played with Payton with the Chicago Bears in the early 1980s.

"It is quite an accomplishment and one that is well deserved. Madieu is a person that cares about people. He is not your prototypical pro athlete by any means. The fact that he is still taking trips and helping others that are less fortunate says a lot about Madieu. He has no other motivation other than to see someone else's life become better that what it currently is. He is a rare person."

Locally, Williams is involved in the North Community YMCA, the United Way and Harvest Prep/Seed Academy. He provides season tickets for kids through his "Dieu's Crew" program and was named Vikings Community Man of the Year in 2010.

Williams, 29, also hosts a free football camp in Maryland and remains involved in Cincinnati, where he played four seasons with the Bengals before signing with the Vikings in March 2008.

Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Pfft..you're such a Zero sometimes, with your cheesehead rationalizations for some Packer players misbehavior.
You minimize Mark Chmura's actions, yet I would bet that you would not want him to hire your daughter as a baby sitter.

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

LoL, it's not cheesehead anything, it's just fact. You can't hold it against the Packers that one of their former players did something stupid.

As for Mark Chmura, I could have sworn the baby sitter later admitted nothing sexual happened, which would support the lack of evidence of any DNA being exchanged or any sign of intercourse being present at all.

I don't know what happened, wasn't there, but unless he was asked to chaperone the party, he had no business being there with a bunch of teenagers.

Regardless if he did rape her (which if so, deserves to burn in hell) or not, he never played for the Packers again. Bubba Franks was drafted shortly after and Mark Chmura was cut. I suppose one could argue that if he didn't have neck issues, he could have been back, but I really doubt it. (see, James Lofton).

UserPostedImage
macbob
  • macbob
12 years ago

As to your absurd (but typical) comment about Vikings players...........

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

That was a good story VR. Now that he's won the award, we should expect to see Madieu cut imminently?

Oh, and wikipedia had some additional information on honors Madieu has won--from Franco Harris & R Super Foods:

Recently, Madieu Williams was honored by Hall of Famer Franco Harris and Harris' company, R Super Foods, as their Cincinnati Super MVP. Ironically, R Super Foods honors Madieu's efforts in health and ntrition with his picture and story on their boxes of Super donuts and Super Buns.

Wikipedia wrote:

:-"
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Poor VR. (Or living in California, I should say "pobre VR").

He's desperate for anything where the Vikings are better than the Packers. Since they can't beat us in games, he's gotta look for something off-field.

Congrats to Williams. =d>
I'm always happy whenever someone is a good person, regardless of whose team they play on. Joe Delaney (Chiefs) was one of my favorite players. It's a shame he died so young.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
macbob
  • macbob
12 years ago
All of the -1s I'm getting from this thread, I'm going to be in negative numbers soon...lol...
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

All of the -1s I'm getting from this thread, I'm going to be in negative numbers soon...lol...

Originally Posted by: macbob 

Don't feel bad amigo. I got voted down in this thread and have no idea why. Was it because I said something good about a Vikings player? Or was it because I was rubbing in to VR that he's gotta look for something off the field because the Vikings can't beat the Packers on the field? Or does some jerk hate Joe Delaney?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
macbob
  • macbob
12 years ago

Don't feel bad amigo. I got voted down in this thread and have no idea why. Was it because I said something good about a Vikings player? Or was it because I was rubbing in to VR that he's gotta look for something off the field because the Vikings can't beat the Packers on the field? Or does some jerk hate Joe Delaney?

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I was going to slapnuts you back up but someone (Z???) was kind enough to restore order in the universe and Zero us out for the thread. 😁
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.