Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

New beat writer and brings some decent fodder to the table for his first swing...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/125418188.html 

Hello from the new guy ... 10 things to ponder on the Packers

Greetings Packer Nation. It's a privilege to enter your world. This week, I start my job covering the defending champs for the Journal Sentinel. Needless to say, I'm thrilled and honored to serve some of the best fans in the country. This is, without a doubt, a dream opportunity and I certainly have big shoes to fill. My predecessor, Greg Bedard, did a great job connecting with all of you. Hoping to pick up where he left off. I'm also really looking forward to working with - and learning from - some of the best beat writers in the country in Bob McGinn, Tom Silverstein and Lori Nickel.

Tyler Dunne

As for me, I'm from Great Valley, N.Y., a small town about an hour south of Buffalo. For two summers during college, I acquired an itch for the Packers beat as an intern for multiple publications in Wisconsin. And after graduating from Syracuse University in June of 2010, working at the Fayetteville Observer and Buffalo News, I'm ecstatic to return. 

On to football. The news surrounding a potential lockout resolution is sweetening so let's look ahead. Here are 10 topics to ponder with a new season looming. Feel free to reach me any time at tdunne@journalsentinel or via Twitter @TyDunne.

10. Tracking the loaded NFC North. This may be the best division in football, devoid of bottom-feeders. The Bears remain a contender. The Lions should finally make their leap into relevancy. And the Vikings, much better than their 6-10 record indicated a year ago, will return to normalcy.

9. How is Jermichael Finley re-assimilated into the offense? Without him, the Packers leaned on a multi-wideout attack. The top four wide receivers each had at least 45 receptions. An entire year's gameplan changed on the fly - and succeeded. Now, Finley returns. How does Mike McCarthy harness his sudden abundance of weapons effectively?

8. Who stays, who goes? Don't expect Ted Thompson to be a player in free agency. It's not in his nature and there's no need to. But depending on how free agency is constructed under the new CBA, he'll have some tough decisions to make. We could see an unprecedented, abbreviated feeding frenzy. GMs have been licking their chops for months to fill needs. Who does Thompson retain?

7. Is Cullen Jenkins replaceable? His exit may be a foregone conclusion. But for a 3-4 end, Jenkins is a mutation. Beyond a mere space-eater, he totaled seven sacks in 11 games last season. Finding an adequate replacement (see: grooming Mike Neal) will be at the top of Dom Capers' to-do list.

6. Judgment Day? Character has weighed heavily in the makeup of the current roster. Will the Packers brass deal with Johnny Jolly and Brandon Underwood swiftly?

5. New toys. A pair of rookie offensive weapons fell in the team's lap in the draft. On paper, Kentucky's Randall Cobb and Hawaii's Alex Green fit in immediately. One in the return game, the other as a third-down back. First, though, they need to get on the field.

4. Goodbye Barnett? Desmond Bishop broke out last year, entrenching himself as a starter. Barnett's play isn't exactly deteriorating. But coming off of a season-ending wrist injury, he's set to make $5.5 million in 2011. Green Bay might deem its situation at ILB a pork project.

3. The battle at running back. Remember when many fans practically were hoisting pitchforks at 1265 Lombardi Avenue, urging management to pursue Marshawn Lynch? Hit-and-run, gun charges and all? A distant memory. The competition in Green Bay's backfield will be heated. Returning from an ankle injury, Grant says it's still his job to lose. Unsung hero James Starks is breathing down his neck. Green isn't far behind and the likes of Brandon Jackson and John Kuhn could still be in the picture. Ding, ding.

2. The motivation meter. Drive should not be a problem. The roster is stocked with players with something to prove, players that watched a Super Bowl victory in basketball shorts. For a defending champ, that's rare. Does Pat Riley's old "Disease of Me" theory set in? Or will the chemistry McCarthy and Thompson carefully crafted prevail?

1. Above all, can Aaron Rodgers get even better? He was borderline invincible by year's end with a 109.8 postseason passer rating. The greats always hunt down a weakness in their game and attack in the offseason. Maybe Rodgers, three years in as a starter, is just getting started.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
You got stock in scroll mouse or something? All those extra < p > dayum!! 🙂
UserPostedImage
porky88
12 years ago

2. The motivation meter. Drive should not be a problem. The roster is stocked with players with something to prove, players that watched a Super Bowl victory in basketball shorts. For a defending champ, that's rare. Does Pat Riley's old "Disease of Me" theory set in? Or will the chemistry McCarthy and Thompson carefully crafted prevail?

I don't think this will be a problem. Remember, Green Bay did not win the division last year. That will be their motivation. The coaches will likely remind the Packers of that throughout the season, especially Bears week. Finishing second in the division last season might turn out to be a blessing in disguise for 2011.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

And the Vikings, much better than their 6-10 record indicated a year ago, will return to normalcy.

A not so subtle jab at #4.. lol.. enjoyed that little nugget.

Reminds me of a little pic I seen.. the sweet little moments of karma (schism) from last season. :)

UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
12 years ago
I thought they were trying too hard to force it to Finley last year, before he went down. I hope they just relax and hit the open guy this year. I think there will be plenty of guys open.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I thought they were trying too hard to force it to Finley last year, before he went down. I hope they just relax and hit the open guy this year. I think there will be plenty of guys open.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

No kidding. We were playing a game ... it was do they throw it to Finely over the middle, shallow, deep, left or right.
UserPostedImage
Mckennj3
12 years ago
Can't wait to see the 3rd down offense that doesn't have to be as spread out, and can possibly have more threat to it.

Jennings Driver x x x x x Finley Cobb? Nelson

Aaron Rodgers Cobb?
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
Mckennj3
12 years ago
Wow that really didn't print the way I typed it, anyway, what I meant was does anyone see Mike McCarthy putting Cobb in and out of the backfield for a trickery look/distraction?
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
RB will be one of the more interesting battles this year. Even in an abbreviated TC.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
The Vikings are not under rated. They were over rated because of the easy schedule, fortunate timing and lucky breaks in '09. They were a mediocre team then and they got worse.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them repeat a sub .500 year.

I also think Chillar would be more likely to be gone than Barnett. With his 3rd reconstruction on the same shoulder. Last year proved you can't have too much depth. Losing both would leave us pretty thin.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (10h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (16h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (18h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (20h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (20h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (20h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (21h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (21h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.