porky88
12 years ago

I really doubt TJ Lang is going anywhere. For most of last season he was basically the back up at every line position besides C (even some defensive line). He's pretty much earned his spot whether he is a starter or not.

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded 

Chad Clifton
Byran Bulaga
Marshall Newehouse
Josh Sitton
Derek Sherrod
Scott Wells
Nick McDonald
Ray Dominguez
Caleb Schauderaff
Evan Dietrich-Smith

I can see this scenario playing out if Lang plays poorly. Honestly, he should be ahead of Sherrod right now. The fact that Sherrod is getting the first team reps is not a good sign in my opinion. The Packers could also keep nine guys, which would decrease his odds.

Do I think he'll make it?

I honestly believe it's too soon to say one way or another, but it’s not long-shot. The fact that it garnered at least one response kind of fits in with the theme of the thread. Letting go of Lang would surprise some and I think he's 50-50 right now.
macbob
12 years ago
Tim Masthay, after the last pre-season game with no other punter on the team.

Ted Thompson re-signs Derrick Frost, currently available as a free agent after being cut by the California Redwoods of the UFL... [palm]
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
12 years ago

Chad Clifton
Byran Bulaga
Marshall Newehouse
Josh Sitton
Derek Sherrod
Scott Wells
Nick McDonald
Ray Dominguez
Caleb Schauderaff
Evan Dietrich-Smith

I can see this scenario playing out if Lang plays poorly. Honestly, he should be ahead of Sherrod right now. The fact that Sherrod is getting the first team reps is not a good sign in my opinion. The Packers could also keep nine guys, which would decrease his odds.

Do I think he'll make it?

I honestly believe it's too soon to say one way or another, but it’s not long-shot. The fact that it garnered at least one response kind of fits in with the theme of the thread. Letting go of Lang would surprise some and I think he's 50-50 right now.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

50/50 is pretty ridiculous. The coaches have liked him enough to let him play tackle in an emergency and he is at worst the #2 guard but you have guys like Dominguez, Schlauderaff and EDS ahead of him? You are making a bit of a reach to try and make a case for a "surprise" cut.

I think it would be more in the premise of the thread to use a realistic player like Crabtree or Howard Green. Lang isn't a realistic cut just because you put him at 50/50 lol.
blank
dfosterf
12 years ago
Lang has been over-rated by the fans, so far.

I want production.

Still glad we let Colledge go, but we need a great replacement. I like our chances on that.

Driver goes nowhere until he decides it's time.

Reduced roll, if Cobb is as good as I/we think.

I vote, "No surprises"

We are pretty thick, talent-wise, at least on paper, and GBP paper is better than most, imo, because we also bring a pretty good version of "team" mentality to the table, historically.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I want production too, those damn OL better start scoring some mother fucking touchdowns!!!

;)
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
12 years ago

I want production too, those damn OL better start scoring some mother fucking touchdowns!!!

;)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I'm sponsoring a remedial educational clinic on offensive line play and offensive linemen that you are most cordially invited to attend if you have the fee.

😝
nerdmann
12 years ago

I really want to say Chad Clifton, but reasonability factors in.

So I'm going to say Brad Jones.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I'll say Cliffy. But if they cut DD that would be an even bigger surprise.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
12 years ago

50/50 is pretty ridiculous. The coaches have liked him enough to let him play tackle in an emergency and he is at worst the #2 guard but you have guys like Dominguez, Schlauderaff and EDS ahead of him? You are making a bit of a reach to try and make a case for a "surprise" cut.

I think it would be more in the premise of the thread to use a realistic player like Crabtree or Howard Green. Lang isn't a realistic cut just because you put him at 50/50 lol.

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded 

First, all I’m saying is I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. This isn't advocating for Ryan Grant by the way, which is unrealistic. Frankly, I'm not going to lose sleep if he makes it.

Still your response proves my point. If he gets cut, it's going to surprise some people, and I'm guessing you're among them. I'm underwhelmed by Lang. He is living off of his 09 success, which was propped up because of the poor play of Allen Barbre that year.

Lang benefited from a lack of depth and injuries. They had no other choice than to put him in that position. If they were high on him, they didn't have to draft Derek Sherrod. I think they did like him, but he took a step back last year. This is undeniable in my opinion, though I do think they finally got it right by letting him focus on guard.

Don't sleep on Dominquez for the record. I think he'll make the roster. I agree EDS is a stretch, but let's say the Packers keep nine OL. That leaves the final spot down to Lang and Schlauderaff, who was a draft pick. Would Thompson try to get Schlaunderaff on the practice squad? Probably, but let's see it play out first.

Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Porky nailed my thoughts on Lang.. personally.. it is way to early to say on anyone.. just it could be a way for Lang to not make the roster. He has been here.. it is time to produce.. even though I think he is very talented I could see a way that he doesn't make it. Not probable but I think a Howard Green has a better chance of sticking than Lang.

Now onto Grant.. I think he is almost a lock, but his salary and absence last season could be tempting if others really step up. Now I think realistically, that Grant and Starks split the majority of the carries this season.. but if the Packers feel they have 3 good other options, that cap money may be tempting to re-up other core players.. or more of them.

Just thinking outside the box to foster discussion.. as like other threads of its ilk, it is too early to give anything other than theory to generate thought. Thought that was the point of these type of thread in general.. since we haven't seen jack on the field yet.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
12 years ago
All reports I've seen have Lang playing at a high level. I have no idea why anyone is saying he might not make the team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (13h) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (17h) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.