Rockmolder
12 years ago

The Vikings are going to have to run double tight ends the whole year, just to get people blocked.

We cry about our O-line quite a bit, but I'm not trading ours for the Lions, Vikings, or Bears o-lines.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

It's actually quite amazing when you think about it. Our entire division is full of amazing pass rushing teams who have players like Peppers, Allen, Suh and Matthews who can singlehandedly take over a game if you let them, coupled with some of the worst O-line groups in the league.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3 of the 5 teams with the highest sack total would come from the NFC North.... on both sides of the ball.

I missed the game, as I was making an ass out of myself, but if Shawn said the O-line didn't look that good at the point of attack, I believe him. I hope that gets fixed, although I don't see it as a critical point.

What I do see as a critical point is the d-line. I prefer to watch the defense and if there's one thing that's obvious it's that it all begins with a pass rush. And that that pass rush starts at the point of attack with the D-line. As soon as your big men create those double team scenario's, the rest will come. Even with average OLBs.

And Clay is all but an average OLB.
porky88
12 years ago

Yep.. of course the defense is vanilla.. it is preseason, but that doesn't mean guys should not be winning individual battles and standing up the blockers. No dots need connecting.

All I am saying, again it is early, that I think we are behind at the point of attack at this point comparatively looking at the competition, again most notably beyond the first string.

Preseason games, especially early games, are mostly about guys standing out and earning a spot on the team past the starters.. getting put in situations so the coaching staffs can evaluate. As noted many times.. been that way since the start of time.

But the still doesn't change the on both sides of the ball we struggled more than we didn't.. and it is early and correctable.. nothing to fret about but just the same we have work to do in a competitive nature.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I think you're reading too much into it or just attempting to drive up discussion. 😄

By the way, I firmly believe the latter.

Mike Neal made a nice tackle on Peyton Hillis. He showed nice pursuit on a few plays. B.J. Raji wasn't anywhere to be seen, but Alex Mack whipped him in last year's preseason game as well. I believe Clay Matthews played four plays.

In my view, the line play is a mild concern coming from this game. Well, unless you're concerned neither Lang nor Sherrod really did anything to jump out.

Erik Walden in pass coverage looks concerning. Patrick Lee was awful, and Marshall Newehouse did not play as local media has advertised him. Frankly, Graham Harrell was holding onto the ball too long and wasn't decisive at all.

Flynn and Rodgers played fine. The first and second team offenses played fine. The third team offense looked like a third team offense.

Look, I understand wanting to see more aggression out of some of the guys, but I saw nothing that has me believing the Packers are behind of their schedule or the schedule of other teams such as Atlanta.
vikesrule
12 years ago

I... lets see.. hell no. lol.

Your triangle of authority built it.. and well you have to deal with it. Curious.. how did they look sans McKinnie?

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Well, without McKinnie, the Vikes O-line lost about half the collective weight.

Seems that some think that we have hit bottom....hopefully not.

NFL Offensive Line rankings 
Number 32. Minnesota Vikings

LT: *Charlie Johnson
LG: Steve Hutchinson
C: John Sullivan
RG: *Chris DeGeare
RT: Phil Loadholt

This offensive line was a liability last season, and it's gotten much worse. Right guard Anthony Herrera (ACL, triceps surgeries) is likely headed for PUP to open the season, but he's not the Vikings' biggest loss. That honor goes to left tackle Bryant McKinnie, who gained so much unhealthy weight during the lockout that Minnesota had to release him a few days into camp. Johnson has been getting eaten alive by Jared Allen and Everson Griffen so far in August, and is better suited to guard. Hutchinson's performance has declined so rapidly that there were rumors he'd be cut in the offseason. Sullivan is replacement-level at best and DeGeare is a total projection.
Adrian Peterson will be running behind the worst offensive line of his career this season.

dfosterf
12 years ago

Well, without McKinnie, the Vikes O-line lost about half the collective weight.

Seems that some think that we have hit bottom....hopefully not.

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

Did you see that Bears o-line? That was bad.

Bad can be good, right about now. Our line looked "all-world" last year, in the pre-season, imo.

Then the real games started, with the real defenses, and they went back to their usual collective suckage.

Aaron learned how to duck, and we got better, but that's another story, for another day.

I'm just saying, again- at this time, there's a real argunent to be made for "bad" over "good", for corrective/collective over-confidence//arrogance-purposes amongst the o-linemen.

It's a theory.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15m) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (15m) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (16m) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (31m) : 4th
Zero2Cool (45m) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (3h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (7h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (7h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.