longtimefan
12 years ago
Link 

GREEN BAY – Donald Driver doesn’t know how or when his Green Bay Packers career will end – he’s certain it won’t be this year – but the veteran wide receiver knows this much: He won’t leave the way his friend and former quarterback Brett Favre departed.

“I don’t want that,” Driver said, recalling how the future Pro Football Hall of Famer was traded to the New York Jets in August 2008, spent the past two seasons with the rival Minnesota Vikings and remains estranged from the franchise he once personified. “For me, just being around the people upstairs, from (former general manager and team president) Ron Wolf and Bob Harlan to now (current president and GM) Mark Murphy and Ted (Thompson), do I think it’ll ever get to that point? No. I don’t think I’ll ever get to the point where I’m so bitter and I’m so upset at those guys. I think I can walk away, give those guys a big hug and say, ‘Hey, I appreciate it,’ and retire and put the cleats on the shelf and have some fun.

“The humble guy that walked in here in ’99, laughing and joking with a smile on his face and not mad at the world for anything, that’s the same way I want to go out. I want to be the same, happy-go-lucky person. I don’t want any pressure on me where I’ve got to be mad when I walk away, where I go, ‘I shouldn’t have done this, I shouldn’t have done that.’ I want to walk away happy knowing I’ve done everything possible.”

From the moment Driver, who turned 36 just four days before the team’s Super Bowl XLV victory, arrived in Green Bay as a little-known seventh-round pick from Alcorn State who made an instant impression from the first days of coach Ray Rhodes’ first – and only – training camp.

Now, 12 years later, Driver enters the 2011 season just 42 yards away from breaking Pro Football Hall of Famer James Lofton's franchise record for career receiving yards (9,656), having already claimed ownership of the team career reception record last year (698). And while he’s not talking retirement – his current contract, which was extended last summer, runs through 2012, and his stated goal is to play to age 40 – there is reason to wonder what the future holds for him in Green Bay.

Driver had his team-record streak of 133 consecutive games with at least one reception snapped last season, and with 51 catches for 565 yards and four touchdowns, he also saw his streak of six straight 1,000-yard seasons end. His final numbers were his lowest since he caught 13 passes for 167 yards in 2001 (although similar to his 2003 numbers of 52 catches for 621 yards and two TDs). He missed one game and went reception-less in two others around midseason, when he was nagged by a quadriceps injury. And he was unable to finish Super Bowl XLV, knocked out with a high ankle sprain after catching two passes for 28 yards during the first half.

In addition, according to STATS LLC, Driver’s yards-after-the-catch numbers were way down last season (190 yards, the fewest among the Packers’ top four receivers) and he was credited with seven regular-season dropped passes, the most on the team.

“He’s gotten the great production as much on his competitiveness (as anything),” offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said Wednesday. “I haven’t noticed a huge decline, like, ‘Wow, he can’t run that route any more, we’ve got to get him out of there.’ I think hopefully he can still make a great contribution to the ballclub.”

Asked how a coach can tell if a receiver’s skills are eroding, Philbin replied, “One way (is), you’re always looking for guys that can separate against man coverage and beat you. Football, at some point in time, especially on third down, comes to a one-on-one matchup. … I would say that might be one of the areas you’d look at.”

The drop in Driver’s YAC yardage is particularly telling, and could be a foreboding sign of decline. In 2007, Driver had a team-best 438 yards after the catch. He had 365 yards in 2008 and 391 in 2009 before the drop-off last year. Even if you allow for the fact that his total yardage dropped significantly, his yards-after-the-catch average per catch dropped even more precipitously: From 5.3 in ’07, 4.9 in ’08 and 5.6 in ’09 to just 3.7 last year. In addition, 39 of his YAC yards came on his most memorable play of the year: A 61-yard catch-and-run for a touchdown against the San Francisco 49ers on Dec. 5, when he broke four tackles and carried two 49ers defenders into the end zone with him at the end.

Signed through 2012, with a $5.0 million salary cap number for this season. Driver has always thrived on the opinions of naysayers and doubters, even when he essentially had to manufacture such slights. From 2004 through ’09, Driver averaged 81.3 receptions for 1,140.8 yards and 5.8 touchdowns per year in that six-year span, but now that he’s coming off a down year, he won’t need to conjure up such motivation.

“That’s been my motivation throughout my whole life – to prove people wrong, (to prove) that I can do it,” Driver said. “I said I want to play until I’m 40. Whether that day comes or not, I’m not … I’m willing to know when it’s over, it’s over. For me, it’s not over. It’s been a proven fact that I’m still playing at a high level. I’m still competing at a high level. But people are going to continue saying, ‘At 36, he’s going to hit the wall.’”

If there’s one type of player Thompson has shown an unwillingness to keep, it’s an over-30 player with injuries. Another veteran and fan favorite, 34-year-old right tackle Mark Tauscher, was released at the start of training camp, along with 30-year-old inside linebacker Nick Barnett, who finished two of the last three seasons on injured reserve. Another, 30-year-old defensive end Cullen Jenkins, was allowed to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles even though the Packers easily could have afforded his deal. Jenkins has missed 17 of a possible 48 regular-season games over the past three seasons because of various injuries.

Thompson has also shown that he’d rather get rid of a player a year too early (Darren Sharper, Favre) than a year too late.

Then there’s the rest of the depth chart. Greg Jennings is indisputably the team’s No. 1 receiver now, and Jordy Nelson and James Jones, who battled over the No. 3 spot behind Driver last year, are both capable of passing him. Rookie second-round pick Randall Cobb looked fantastic working from the slot – Driver’s almost exclusive domain for years – in the preseason opener at Cleveland last week and has proven to be a quick learner of the Packers’ complex offense, meaning he’ll likely be in the mix. Several young and unknown receivers – Chastin West, Tori Gurley, Diondre Borel – have shown promise, and last year’s No. 5, Brett Swain, is currently sidelined by a hamstring injury but remains in contention for a roster spot as well.

Asked if he would defer to one of those other receivers to play more snaps than him if he felt the others gave the team the best chance to win, Driver replied, “I’m one of those unselfish guys. I’ve always been that way and that’ll never change. I never cared who gets the ball, as long as we win the game, that’s all that matters to me. (Last) year, everyone was like, ‘If you don’t get your 1,000-yard season, where are you going to be at?’ I don’t care. I won the Super Bowl. I have that title, I have that ring. I’m OK with that.

“If it got to that point, if they made a decision to say, ‘Hey, Donald, we’re not going to start you,’ I’m OK with it. It’s not going to be the first time I haven’t started a game, it won’t be my last. So I think you just have to go out there and when the ball comes to you, you have to make the best of it. To me, I’m fine with that.

“(But) I’m still the starter. That hasn’t changed. Not at all. Don’t get it twisted. I’ll still start come Sunday. That’s never going to change.”

During the course of a 15-minute interview in the locker room earlier this week, Driver contradicted himself several times. First he said he used the whispers of doubt about him as motivation; then he said he didn’t care. First he said he would never play for another team; then he walked that back and talked about how “business” could dictate exactly that.

“Sometimes it comes down to a business situation. And if it came down to business, I’m hoping I can walk upstairs and sit down with those guys and say, ‘Look, what aer you guys planning on doing?’” Driver said. “If they say, ‘Donald, we’re going a different route,’ I respect that. I can’t do anything about it. But if I still feel like I’m playing at a high level, then maybe I can go somewhere else and play. Do I want to do that? No. But it’s a business decision, and I’m going to continue playing if I still feel l can play.

“I think the Packers will give me an opportunity to retire here. I don’t think they would want me to leave and go anywhere else.”

Jason Wilde wrote:

Never thought I would hear Dd say anything like this..
Greg C.
12 years ago
He didn't say "I won't exit like Brett" (the thread title), but he said the equivalent. Like you, I'm surprised he went there at all, especially using the word "bitter" to describe Favre.
blank
longtimefan
12 years ago
I used same title Jason Wilde used on his facebook fed
RaiderPride
12 years ago
Donald is smarter, wiser, classier, and more love-able then the fourth greatest QB in Packers' history.

Good post. I appreciate the read.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Thanks Jim. I threw in the whole article as this is surely something we'll want to revisit in a year or two.

I think the Packers will give me an opportunity to retire here. I don’t think they would want me to leave and go anywhere else.

Donald Driver wrote:

I know of someone who thought the same thing too, and even said he'd never play for another team other than Green Bay.

Edit, Jason Wilde is one of my favorite Packer writers, but misspelling "are", c'mon!! haha
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
The whole end situation with Brett is really a shame. He's one of the best things that ever happened to the Packers. For 25 years we wallowed in mediocrity or less. I can undersstand him being upset. If Ted Thompson would have pulled the trigger on Moss I still think we would have won the Super Bowl. However, that is also in large a fault of Brett's. If he had said something like "I give it three(or whatever number) more years, lets try to win a Super Bowl" maybe Ted Thompson would have done it. But the constant talk of retirement made it difficult to plan for the future. If Ted didn't want to do that Brett could have then asked for a trade. Anyway, I hope all the wounds heal sooner than later.

It will be good to see DD retire as a Packer. And it will be even better to see DD inducted into the Packer HOF. I would like to see him connected with the team in the future.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DakotaT
12 years ago
This is Driver's last year in Green Bay. I'll let all of you decide what's right and wrong because Dr. Death Nonstop and me always get the crap kicked out of us on this subject. He is no longer better than his understudies, and from the tone of this article - he knows this.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Pay no attention to this exaggeration. There has been about a dozen members who have said the same damn thing about Donald Driver. [duh]

This is Driver's last year in Green Bay. I'll let all of you decide what's right and wrong because Dr. Death Nonstop and me always get the crap kicked out of us on this subject. He is no longer better than his understudies, and from the tone of this article - he knows this.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Donald Driver 4th or 5th and that makes me wonder if his salary is worth that? Maybe the Packers cut him and bring him back after the first week so his contract isn't guaranteed? I'm not sure how all that works. I also had Donald Driver listed as my surprising cut and the more I'm reading about and hearing about Randall Cobb, the more I'm thinking it might be less surprising to see Donald Driver cut. If Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Randall Cobb leap over Donald Driver, I think it'd be hard for the Packers to pay him his salary ... then again, if the Packers have the money they might think the leadership is worth it? Hell if I know, I think I just confused myself, once again.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
I would be surprised to see DD cut this year. Cobb won't be a factor IMO but if Gurley and/or Smithson look too good to lose I suppose it could happen. Next year might be a different story with the free agents we want to keep. Can we redo his contract like Butler did? Or have we paid or are already obligated to pay too much already?
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I would be surprised to see DD cut this year. Cobb won't be a factor IMO but if Gurley and/or Smithson look too good to lose I suppose it could happen. Next year might be a different story with the free agents we want to keep. Can we redo his contract like Butler did? Or have we paid or are already obligated to pay too much already?

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

I think Randall Cobb will be more of a special teams player than WR this year and that's why I'm thinking Donald Driver will make the team, but probably be his last season.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (10h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

11h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.