Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Interesting way to motive your child.. but seems effective. Either way, I think the kid made a football team this preseason.. just might not be this one.

West's mother still unimpressed 

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Aug. 22, 2011

Cathy West still refuses to attend her son’s NFL games. “Tell me when you get good,” she tells Chastin. Preseason? Pshh.

It’s always been this way — through high school and college. Mom only comes once Chastin West becomes a key contributor. Plain and simple.

No, West’s life hasn’t changed much since Friday, when he burst onto the preseason scene with five receptions for 134 yards including that 97-yard touchdown. He caught every pass thrown his way and showed breakaway speed by outrunning the entire Arizona defense on the score.

Still, mom refuses to come. This is West's motivation.

“That’s when I know I’ve arrived — when she comes,” West said. “That’s what she’s done my entire life. Baseball. Basketball. Football. Whatever. She says, ‘Until you get good, that’s when I’ll come.'”

Mom doesn’t need to book a plane ticket from California quite yet. West faces long odds here at training camp on Green Bay's loaded receiving corps.

More after the leap...

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
What does that teach children? "If you ain't the star you're nobody?"

If I waited until my kids were the star of the team I would never had gone to any of their events.

I would have missed one of the gustiest performances ever. As a Freshman my son was running cross county in a lot of pain. I didn't know it at first. I planned to pull him from the race when he got to me. It must have showed on my face because the look he gave me was begging me to let him finish. I did. One of the hardest things I ever did was let him limp past me. He still had about 3/4 of a mile to go. Limping all the way. Trying to keep others from passing him. Once he crossed the finish line I had to help him get back to the team camp. He earned a medal for finishing in the top 20. I am so proud of that award.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
If you can not find more productive manners to motivate your child other than neglecting yourself and them of the joys of watching them play sports ... you're an idiot. This is not good parenting and should never even be remotely implied as such. More so this looks like a mother who's looking for excuses to sit on her ass or do something else other than watch her boy play ball.

I remember when I was in Little League and earned the game ball. I had a monster game hitting and fielding ... guess what, it didn't mean shit to me because my dad wasn't there to see it because he got stuck working late in Two Rivers. Other than being on the All Star team and "rookie of the year", this was the highlight and I couldn't even share it with my dad, the person whom I aimed to make proud of me the most.

So I say fuck this bitch, get off your fucking ass and watch your kid play because not every parent has the PRIVILEGE to do so. And what if he never becomes a key contributor, then you've missed out on all those events you could have ATTENDED and SUPPORTED your son.

This really pisses me off. I love my girls, but I wish I had a boy to raise, for baseball, football, soccer, wrestling all that stuff. I'd be the first mother fucking person there and the last one to leave and the most supportive parent in the stands. How could you be ANYTHING else???
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Just to be clear.. I did not advocate the practice.. but it seems to work for him in this case. Nothing more.

I don't know anything more about their situation than what is laid out here.. but Mr West seems to accept it and use it..

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Just to be clear.. I did not advocate the practice.. but it seems to work for him in this case. Nothing more.

I don't know anything more about their situation than what is laid out here.. but Mr West seems to accept it and use it..

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Pack we know this is not you. It's the b!tch. West accepts is because this is all the love he is going to get. I am certain he would much rather that she had been there for him for all those years.

Speaking of Zero mentioning wrestling. I can remember one of my teammates with parents who set unrealistically high standards for their kids. As a Soph the kid was wrestling varsity. He had a very tough match against a guy who was a State Qualifier the previous year. My teammate couldn't do anything. He was out of his league. After losing and starting to walk off the mat his father jumped up and shouted for all the gym to hear, "YOU DESERVED TO LOSE!!" Naturally my teammate was inconsolable. It was the Christmas tourney that we went to every year. The school put us up in a local motel. It was always a real treat. he hardly spoke to anyone all night and then he lost big the next day to a guy he could have easily beat.
I have never respected his dad ever since.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

If you can not find more productive manners to motivate your child other than neglecting yourself and them of the joys of watching them play sports ... you're an idiot. This is not good parenting and should never even be remotely implied as such. More so this looks like a mother who's looking for excuses to sit on her ass or do something else other than watch her boy play ball.

I remember when I was in Little League and earned the game ball. I had a monster game hitting and fielding ... guess what, it didn't mean shit to me because my dad wasn't there to see it because he got stuck working late in Two Rivers. Other than being on the All Star team and "rookie of the year", this was the highlight and I couldn't even share it with my dad, the person whom I aimed to make proud of me the most.

So I say fuck this bitch, get off your fucking ass and watch your kid play because not every parent has the PRIVILEGE to do so. And what if he never becomes a key contributor, then you've missed out on all those events you could have ATTENDED and SUPPORTED your son.

This really pisses me off. I love my girls, but I wish I had a boy to raise, for baseball, football, soccer, wrestling all that stuff. I'd be the first mother fucking person there and the last one to leave and the most supportive parent in the stands. How could you be ANYTHING else???

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

psst- you can support your daughters in their activities too. My daughter went out for track and ended up on pole vault. I didn't know a thing about it.
band and choir too. Just being there for them counts big.
I love getting the calls out of the blue these days asking for my opinion on different matters. (Usually money is tied int here somewhere but I don't mind. She is worth it)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

psst- you can support your daughters in their activities too. My daughter went out for track and ended up on pole vault. I didn't know a thing about it.
band and choir too. Just being there for them counts big.
I love getting the calls out of the blue these days asking for my opinion on different matters. (Usually money is tied int here somewhere but I don't mind. She is worth it)

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I do support them, with anything they choose to do. Even Soccer as Keiana wants to participate in. The problem with most of the girl activities is I'm useless on helping them. When it comes to athletics, there's not many sports (Tennis comes to mind) that I can not play well, or at least instruct how to do it well.

I can't dance, sure as hell can't sing, don't have a clue about cheerleading, could maybe help with gymnastics don't do theatre drama stuff, can't even help my 10 year old with her hair cuz she wont let me, ...

The stuff that girls are into ... I support, but feel helpless because I can't help them become better ... granted they have coaches for that...

Edit, seen track ... I think Keiana is gonna be a runner. She really likes to run so I think I'm going to start taking her on the trails by the house running.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

I do support them, with anything they choose to do. Even Soccer as Keiana wants to participate in. The problem with most of the girl activities is I'm useless on helping them. When it comes to athletics, there's not many sports (Tennis comes to mind) that I can not play well, or at least instruct how to do it well.

I can't dance, sure as hell can't sing, don't have a clue about cheerleading, could maybe help with gymnastics don't do theatre drama stuff, can't even help my 10 year old with her hair cuz she wont let me, ...

The stuff that girls are into ... I support, but feel helpless because I can't help them become better ... granted they have coaches for that...

Edit, seen track ... I think Keiana is gonna be a runner. She really likes to run so I think I'm going to start taking her on the trails by the house running.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I have no doubt you are a tremendous supporter (athletic and otherwise.) just having fun at your expense.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
That sounds messed up, but it might just be a cultural thing. West probly knows he has the love. Seems to me like it was just a funny quirk of his mom's. But yeah, some of these stories about parents getting down on kids are F'd up. That was one thing with Lombardi, as I understand it. He'd get down on them all the time to challenge and motivate, but when they were really down, he'd show compassion and build them up. That's a very important thing.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

That sounds messed up, but it might just be a cultural thing. West probly knows he has the love. Seems to me like it was just a funny quirk of his mom's. But yeah, some of these stories about parents getting down on kids are F'd up. That was one thing with Lombardi, as I understand it. He'd get down on them all the time to challenge and motivate, but when they were really down, he'd show compassion and build them up. That's a very important thing.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

So West knows he has the love? My daughter is 10 years old, she knows I love her so does that mean I shouldn't say "i love you" to her anymore?

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (1h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (5h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.