wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Dom Capers never again wants to feel the way he did at halftime of Super Bowl XLV.

Informed that cornerback Charles Woodson was out of the game with a broken collarbone and that nickel back Sam Shields wouldn't be of much help because of an injured shoulder, the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator's gut ached.

At that moment, Capers went from having arguably the best trio of cornerbacks in the league to having cornerstone Tramon Williams and fourth-stringers Jarrett Bush and Pat Lee. Somehow, Capers made it work and never had to endure the pain of losing a Super Bowl because his defense couldn't finish the job.

"You can never have enough of those guys," Capers said Tuesday.

By those guys, he means cornerbacks, and this weekend Capers and his staff will be making critical choices at that position. The guys they pick now could be the guys who are playing for him in the second half of a Super Bowl.

"The great thing about football and one thing my daddy always taught me is as coaches we don't decide," said cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt, the son of a college assistant coach. "The players decide who's going to be here. The ones who play (well) will be here; the ones who don't won't."

As it stands, Woodson, Williams and Shields will be the top three again. Bush is sitting in the four spot, but that could change depending on how the rest of the group shakes out.

Assuming Capers gets to keep 10 defensive backs and Bush is kept as a hybrid corner-safety, there are three corner positions at stake for Lee, fourth-round pick Davon House, Josh Gordy and Brandian Ross. If Capers decides to keep Brandon Underwood as a fourth safety, then there will only be two spots for those four corner prospects.

Suffice to say, the Kansas City game Thursday night will be huge for all of them. They need to top off their training camp résumés with one heck of a cover letter against the Chiefs.

"I expect from all of the guys who play in this game their play-speed to equal that of Tramon, Wood and Sam," Whitt said. "If you're in that room, our standard is at a certain level and I don't care who you are, you have to play at that speed and that standard.

"We haven't seen that from everybody in that group that's going to play a lot."

House, because of his draft status and talent, stands to make the team, but after missing 11 practices and two games with a hamstring pull, he has a lot of ground to make up. The object isn't for him to just make the team but to compete for one of the top four jobs.

"He kept a positive attitude and his classroom is real, real good," Whitt said. "He asked good questions. It's unfortunate that it (the injury) happened."

House looked bad on a missed tackle against Indianapolis, but he played better as the game wore on. At 6 feet and 195 pounds, he has the size and athletic ability to be a physical outside corner in Capers' system.

Lee had issues early on, but he has played better of late, and more important, stayed healthy. Injuries have been his worst enemy and he needs a solid performance at corner and on special teams to lock down a spot.

The speedy Gordy spent most of last year on the practice squad before being called up in December. Ross got off to a hot start by returning an interception for a touchdown on the first play of the intrasquad scrimmage, but a hamstring injury slowed his progress.

jsonline wrote:

rest of notes online 

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Exactly the reason I'd rather be short a FB than short a CB.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
bozz_2006
12 years ago
Imagine how different the SB would've been if Driver, Wood, and Sam hadn't been injured.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

Exactly the reason I'd rather be short a FB than short a CB.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

It crossed my mind too.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

Imagine how different the SB would've been if Driver, Wood, and Sam hadn't been injured.

Originally Posted by: bozz_2006 

So you are saying if GB loses 15 players to injury and 3 during the SB this year they will still make it to the SB and win?

I hope so. But the past results are not guarantees of future performance.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I refuse to do this. The Packers won, that's the only outcome I care about.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
12 years ago

I refuse to do this. The Packers won, that's the only outcome I care about.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

OK
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
12 years ago

So you are saying if GB loses 15 players to injury and 3 during the SB this year they will still make it to the SB and win?

I hope so. But the past results are not guarantees of future performance.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

No, that's actually not what I was saying at all.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

No, that's actually not what I was saying at all.

Are you saying it would have been a blow out? Because Pittsburgh didn't move the ball until after Wood and Shields were out.

I also think if they just caught the dang ball it would have been a blow out. Rodgers would have something like 500 yards and 6 TDs if they catch those 3 that were going to be scores.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
bozz_2006
12 years ago
Yeah, that's closer to what I meant. The game really wasn't all that close until the third quarter.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (5h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
59m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.