DakotaT
12 years ago

I think some of us are exaggerating the talents of Matt Flynn. He had one good game against one team. He didn't look good in preseason. If he's not extended during the season, after he's not offered a starting job elsewhere in '12, he'll most likely be signing back with the Packers to back Aaron Rodgers up.

David Garrard, not a chance.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

[stupid]

NO Fricken way we even sniff in Garrard's direction. You have to be an accurate passer to run our offense. I don't Flynn has an NFL caliber cannon. His noodle arm is adequate for a backup QB job, but that is very much all he is. Does anyone remember Doug Pederson's little stay in Philly?
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

I think some of us are exaggerating the talents of Matt Flynn. He had one good game against one team. He didn't look good in preseason. If he's not extended during the season, after he's not offered a starting job elsewhere in '12, he'll most likely be signing back with the Packers to back Aaron Rodgers up.

I think Flynn is limited due to lack of arm strength, but I thought he played pretty well in the preseason. He couldn't help it that the offensive line couldn't block anybody. I suspect that some other team will at least offer him a chance to compete for a starting job next year. There are always at least a few teams with QBs who are not that impressive. Think Beck vs. Grossman in Washington this year, or whoever they have in Miami these days. I'm sure that Flynn would be glad to have a chance to compete somewhere (and be paid accordingly if he wins the starting job) rather than spending his entire career sitting the bench in Green Bay.

blank
porky88
12 years ago

[stupid]
NO Fricken way we even sniff in Garrard's direction. You have to be an accurate passer to run our offense. I don't Flynn has an NFL caliber cannon. His noodle arm is adequate for a backup QB job, but that is very much all he is. Does anyone remember Doug Pederson's little stay in Philly?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I disagree about his arm. I think there's a noticeable improvement in it. The ball is more alive and he's fitting it into smaller spaces. His arm strength has improved. It actually reminds me of Aaron Rodgers, who also got stronger throughout his career. Apples and oranges to Doug Pederson.
nerdmann
12 years ago

I disagree about his arm. I think there's a noticeable improvement in it. The ball is more alive and he's fitting it into smaller spaces. His arm strength has improved. It actually reminds me of Aaron Rodgers, who also got stronger throughout his career. Apples and oranges to Doug Pederson.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Pederson was tutored under Sherman and Rosseley. He didn't have the Mike McCarthy "QB School."
Flynn doesn't have the arm of Brett Favre, but he's no Ty Detmer either.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
12 years ago

He was just released by the Jags...why don't we bring him in as a backup and try to trade Matt Flynn?

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

I like the general idea of getting a good vet and draft pick(s) (like the Eagles did)... but I think there is a HUGE problem in this idea.

I think Flynn is worth more to the Packers (as of right now) and Garrard is worth more on the FA market (as of right now)... and with another team Garrard might be giving the chance to start (Redskins? Colts? (if Manning isn't ready)).

And no one might offer Flynn a chance to start.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

Is Gerrard familiar with the WCO?
Anyway Ted doesn't like aging veterans.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Like Driver and Clifton.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
beast
12 years ago

I agree... he's had one game where his passes looked pretty shaky and off target past 20 yard down field and looked slower in the 2 minute warning than before it. Also Mike McCarthy commented to the run and Jackson almost got 100 yards. So to be a good starter he probably needs to be in a west coast offense and probably needs to ask to be a game manager.

I could see a team like the Seahawks, Browns, Redskins etc... offering him a chance to compete for the the starter job. I doubt any team will promise him the starter job... and if they are they're probably lying like Jon Gruden promising if Rodgers dropped to the Bucs then they'd take it... thanks for not following through with that Gruden...

I figure the Packers will be willing to match any offer he gets. Not sure which he'll take... but see James Jones... he's FA market was a lot smaller than Packers fans thought it'd be... and many though he wasn't gonna be back because he'd be offered too much. He's played and show a lot more than Flynn has.. and he's back. Could happen to Flynn too.
UserPostedImage
12 years ago

A related question is what happens if someone tries to sign Graham Harrell off the practice squad. I think the Packers would then have the right to put him on their 53-player roster to protect him, wouldn't they? If that happened, would they then try to trade Flynn?

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Players on the PS are Unrestricted Free Agents, so they can sign with whoever they want. The Packers could offer to put him on their roster if Harrell or his agent gives them the chance, but they don't have any real rights to him. He can go where ever he wants.
peteralan71
12 years ago
I don't like getting Garrard to come to GB. I feel like Flynn fits the system a lot better, that he's more talented, and that he is less expensive. On Garrard's character, however, I think he is an outstanding individual, considering services given to his community. Hope he finds somewhere to play, just not here.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

Players on the PS are Unrestricted Free Agents, so they can sign with whoever they want. The Packers could offer to put him on their roster if Harrell or his agent gives them the chance, but they don't have any real rights to him. He can go where ever he wants.

Originally Posted by: get_louder_at_lambeau 

Thanks, I was wondering about that. That's sort of what I was thinking. I wrote it sloppily.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (16h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.