mi_keys
12 years ago
Well I made predictions for this in the record predictions thread but I'm going have to change one of my teams with the Manning situation deteriorating and expand on who I think will win in the playoffs.

NFC

1. Philadelphia 13-3
2. Green Bay 12-4
3. Atlanta 11-5
4. St. Louis 8-8
5. New Orleans 10-6
6. Detroit 10-6

AFC

1. Pittsburgh 13-3
2. New England 12-4
3. San Diego 10-6
4. Houston 9-7
5. Baltimore 11-5
6. New York 9-7

Wild card games:
Atlanta over Detroit
New Orleans over St. Louis
San Diego over New York
Baltimore over Houston

Division games:
Green Bay over Atlanta
New Orleans over Philadelphia
Baltimore over Pittsburgh
New England over San Diego

Conference championships
Green Bay over New Orleans
New England over Baltimore

Super Bowl XVI:
Green Bay over New England
Born and bred a cheesehead
macbob
12 years ago
AFC
[list]
  • East: New York Jets
  • North: Pittsburgh Steelers
    South: Houston Texans
    West: San Diego Chargers

Wild Card: New England Patriots
    Wild Card: Baltimore Ravens[/list]

AFC Championship: Steelers over Ravens (unless they meet before the Championship game)

NFC
    [list]
  • East: Philadelphia Eagles
  • North: Green Bay Packers
    South: Atlanta Falcons
    West: St. Louis Rams

Wild Card: New Orleans Saints
    Wild Card: Detroit Lions[/list]

NFC Championship: Packers over Eagles (unless they meet before the Championship game)

Super Bowl XLVI
    Green Bay Packers over Pittsburgh Steelers
    UserPostedImage
    Dexter_Sinister
    12 years ago

The Texans picked up FA starters CB Johnathan Joseph and FS Danieal Manning in FA... as well as drafting CB Brandon Harris (2nd) and Roc Carmichael (4th) that should help their pass D.

Also they switched to the 3-4 and their starting LBers look great, though I'm surprised Mario Williams is at OLB and not DE... but I haven't watched him enough to say where I think he should be.

Originally Posted by: beast 

They were dead last. I doubt they can go from dead last to first by adding 2 mediocre vets and 2 rookies to a horrible secondary and porous front 7.

They would have to go from dead last to near the top of the league. A 3-4 is just a scheme without a DC that understands it enough to implement it as well as Capers and LaBeau. Phillips may be able to improve them, but with a lock out and his own record, I would doubt it is much. Nobody has seen one thing about them to be making predictions of a massive turn around like that.

Capers first year in Green Bay was not as big of a turn around as it would take for the Texans. Capers took us from an opponents passer rating of 72 in '08 to a 69 in '09. The Texans are starting over 100. They made the opponents QBs average look better than Rodgers career rating.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
    Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
    DoddPower
    12 years ago
    Dex, the Texans have done enough to improve themselves to win in a crappy division without Manning and Garrard. I don't see anyone really saying they'll be going to the super bowl, but their great offense and improving defense will be enough to win a crappy division. I'm glad to see most people here agree with that. Joseph is better than average. He's pretty good. I can't believe the Bengals let him get away, in what was a confusing situation.

The only team I could see giving them trouble would be the Titans lead by Hasselbeck and Johnson. Still not talented enough to take the division from Houston, however. Not gonna happen. I'm not sure why you are saying their defense needs to go from dead last to the top of the league. An average defense will be good enough for them, and that's with or without Foster running the ball.
    DoddPower
    12 years ago
    Also, I'm expecting JJ Watt to have a solid year for them as well. Should help their front 7 for sure. Watt, Reed, Harris, and Carmichael, mixed in with some help from Joseph, Manning, Vickers, etc., should be more than enough to provide them at average defense. I think Phillips will do a good job.
    mi_keys
    12 years ago

They were dead last. I doubt they can go from dead last to first by adding 2 mediocre vets and 2 rookies to a horrible secondary and porous front 7.

They would have to go from dead last to near the top of the league. A 3-4 is just a scheme without a DC that understands it enough to implement it as well as Capers and LaBeau. Phillips may be able to improve them, but with a lock out and his own record, I would doubt it is much. Nobody has seen one thing about them to be making predictions of a massive turn around like that.

Capers first year in Green Bay was not as big of a turn around as it would take for the Texans. Capers took us from an opponents passer rating of 72 in '08 to a 69 in '09. The Texans are starting over 100. They made the opponents QBs average look better than Rodgers career rating.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

They don't need to go to first or near the top of the league. Plenty of teams have made the playoffs with less than steller defenses. Just look at the Chiefs of about 7 or 8 years ago. Their defenses were amongst the worst in the league but their offense was so damn good they were a lock for the playoffs. With the Texans having one of the better quarterbacks, the best receiver, one of the elite running backs (if he plays), a very good tight end, and a great offensive line they have the potential to make the playoffs even if their defense is terrible.

As for Phillips, he has a great track record as a defensive coordinator and his head coaching record isn't too bad either (82-59). If I recall correctly, NFL Network stated that every team he had been a defensive coordinator of made the playoffs in his first year. He is one of the better defensive coaches in the league and that defense will very likely be better than they were last year. They don't have to be the best or even near the best to make the playoffs in the division they are in.
    DoddPower
    12 years ago
    Agreed Keys. The 24-0 lead over the colts in the 2nd quarter looks pretty encouraging as well. Although, as I've mentioned, it is a Manning-less Colts. Once can't expect much. Even the Titans aren't looking sharp.
    DoddPower
    12 years ago
    Zero, do you happen to know why there is so much space after all of my posts? There doesn't appear to be any spacing tags in my signature. Have any suggestions? It's pretty annoying for sure!
    mi_keys
    12 years ago

Agreed Keys. The 24-0 lead over the colts in the 2nd quarter looks pretty encouraging as well. Although, as I've mentioned, it is a Manning-less Colts. Once can't expect much. Even the Titans aren't looking sharp.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Yeah, it doesn't appear to be a deep division in the least. I wouldn't be all that surprised if they challenge the NFC West for the worst division in football.
    DoddPower
    12 years ago

Yeah, it doesn't appear to be a deep division in the least. I wouldn't be all that surprised if they challenge the NFC West for the worst division in football.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I say the NFC West will be significantly better, as a whole. I expect the Rams and Cardinals to have decent to good seasons.
    Fan Shout
    beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
    Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
    CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
    buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
    Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
    beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
    Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
    beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
    beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
    beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
    beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
    Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
    Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
    Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
    TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
    Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
    dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
    dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
    Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.